Apl Challenge 2017

Wenbev

Nothing new to report... same ol same ol.

I was googling photos of APL hair and I'm confused. Lol. They all look so different. I suppose its because some are "full" APL where all the hair is one length, and some go by the longest layer touching APL. This hair length business is skressful.
I hear you, feel the same way. TBH, I dont like same length hair. Its not intresting. I have layers and my hair grows in a vshape. the second five hairs touch APL, I'm calling it. :look:

Evolving78

Finally gonna finish my hair today. I rinsed out my dc from late last night. I blow dried my hair. Now I need to flat iron. Oh I was gonna wait to see about trimming during the spring equinox? But can my hair wait that long?

Evolving78

I trimmed and flat ironed my hair. It turned out very nice. My hair was soft, it was dried out from the heat. The only thing is this color. My ends are brown now. It's ok though. They will darken over time. I will just continue to use black cherry until I can switch over to jet black.
I like my new leave-in spray that I use for a moisturizer. I love CON leave-in sprays. i used a little bit of grapeseed oil, my WGO on my edges and crown. Then, I put my hair up in a bun. It's storming out this way.

I thought about my hair and how I will wear it when I have to do my internship next year. I will just keep it in a bun. Can't go wrong with that.

Curls&Justice417

I think I need to revamp my regimen again. Ughhh. I'm retaining length and everything but I think my hair gets more weighed down than I thought. I'm going to experiment with using only ONE light weight leave in after washing and maybe a tiny bit of grapeseed oil on the ends.
I'm also going to cut out any products with a bunch of shea butter. I think it just coats my hair.

I have no qualms with sulfates and still use them periodically but can anyone recommend a good sulfate free shampoo that doesn't leave build up and is good for fine hair? I think the Shea Moisture shampoos don't get my hair and scalp as clean as they should be.

Evolving78

I think I need to revamp my regimen again. Ughhh. I'm retaining length and everything but I think my hair gets more weighed down than I thought. I'm going to experiment with using only ONE light weight leave in after washing and maybe a tiny bit of grapeseed oil on the ends.
I'm also going to cut out any products with a bunch of shea butter. I think it just coats my hair.

I have no qualms with sulfates and still use them periodically but can anyone recommend a good sulfate free shampoo that doesn't leave build up and is good for fine hair? I think the Shea Moisture shampoos don't get my hair and scalp as clean as they should be.
I use Design Essentials Avocado shampoo. I forgot the exact name..sorry!
I also use Keracare hydrating shampoo.

faithVA

My nape is sloooooowly inching towards APL. I swear it still looks like it is in the same spot it was in last April :perplexed:

I said I'm not going to straighten until my nape raeches APL when wet. That should be sometime between April and June. But we shall see. I haven't seen much progress in my nape area in many months.

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Not the best quality photo (my phone sucks and I've been sick all day) but my hair is retaining length! The first pic was taken December 4th, and the second one today. This is after a 1/2 inch trim. She said she cut a half inch but I think it may have been closer to 1/4 inch in the back.
Anyway I wanted to ahead and get my length check in while my hair straight because I won't be straightening it again any time soon.
That is some awesome progress!

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
Not much to report. Finally received my hair from Her Hair Company and I'm not impressed. It really looks like it's one step above BSS hair. Even my friend said so and they didn't even see the hair up close. Going to see if I can return it.
I really need to get my hair done. I am so busy with work and hobbies that my hair is taking a beating but I still want to grow it out. I may just make an appointment for a press and trim in the mean time.

GGsKin

Washed my hair with a kaolin clay mix today. It's my first time trying this in raw form. The mix didnt have as much slip as my usual mixes, and was very runny but I worked with it. After rinsing, I followed with a fermented rice water rinse. Then I layered my ends with shea butter, before finishing with diluted KCCC.

faithVA

Washed my hair with a kaolin clay mix today. It's my first time trying this in raw form. The mix didnt have as much slip as my usual mixes, and was very runny but I worked with it. After rinsing, I followed with a fermented rice water rinse. Then I layered my ends with shea butter, before finishing with diluted KCCC.
I tried the kaolin and I could never get a thick mix. It seems like you have to add it to something.

GGsKin

I tried the kaolin and I could never get a thick mix. It seems like you have to add it to something.

Thanks Faith. I read here that the mix doesn't get thick (described as lotiony) but I think I still kept on adding clay anyway, and maybe used too much. I wanted to use it alone for a first time, but I'll definitely be mixing it in future.

faithVA

Thanks Faith. I read here that the mix doesn't get thick (described as lotiony) but I think I still kept on adding clay anyway, and maybe used too much. I wanted to use it alone for a first time, but I'll definitely be mixing it in future.
Yeah I did the same thing and no matter how much clay I used it never got thicker. Very odd.

Wenbev

TBH, I don't think sulfate-free shampoos really cleanse and remove buildup from hair and scalp. I use Aveda Brilliant shampoo to clarify once every 4-6 weeks.

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
It's been a week of following my routine and my hair is so soft right now. I gave my hair a trim to get rid of some of the straight ends. My hair looks and feels much better even though I still have a good bit of texturized length to grow out.

GGsKin

Massaged, inverted and enjoyed a pleasurable wash day with nice slippy clay (bentonite+kaolin mix). The night before, after dusting my ends, I used an egg+oil treatment that left my hair feeling really good (smooth and resilient). I think I'll be doing more of those.