Apl Challenge 2017

Evolving78

I'm not that far but I have the HARDEST time retaining length. That coupled with my slow growing hair I doubt if I even ever get to arm pit. My hair has never been that length even as a child. I've worn protective styles or months had my ends hidden, LOC method, natural products, vitamins, protein/moisture balance and everything. I don't have any breakage or SSK's, my hair should be a lot longer than it is but I have never in my life gotten it to grow past this length. I'm almost certain it will still be his length by the end of the year.
Well we gotta figure this out! I didn't have long hair as a child either, but as soon as I became an adult (changed my hair practices) I have been able to obtain some length. Is it a Moisture, or Protein issue for you?

There is an old thread that was bumped and gave some tips and products that could help.

DST1913

Well we gotta figure this out! I didn't have long hair as a child either, but as soon as I became an adult (changed my hair practices) I have been able to obtain some length. Is it a Moisture, or Protein issue for you?

There is an old thread that was bumped and gave some tips and products that could help.
Nope my hair is never dry. I have fine 4C hair. I've read so many places that this is the hardest texture to get to grow. The fineness combined with 4C makes retention and growth pretty difficult. I did find a website that is dedicated to this texture so learning a lot more.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
I clay washed my twists again this past Friday.

I'm going to take then down, shampoo, dc and blow dry this upcoming weekend. I plan to also dust my ends and rock a flat twistout.

I think the KISS regimen for March/April worked well for me.

March/April Regimen-
1x a month~
Shampoo/ Steam DC
THEN blow dry & rock a flat twistout...

THEN mini twist the old twistout and wear mini twists under wigs for the rest of the month

I experimented with clay washing the minitwists (w/o taking them down) and had no problems.

I think I've found the KISS that works for me.

SAPNK

I'm not that far but I have the HARDEST time retaining length. That coupled with my slow growing hair I doubt if I even ever get to arm pit. My hair has never been that length even as a child. I've worn protective styles or months had my ends hidden, LOC method, natural products, vitamins, protein/moisture balance and everything. I don't have any breakage or SSK's, my hair should be a lot longer than it is but I have never in my life gotten it to grow past this length. I'm almost certain it will still be his length by the end of the year.

I feel you. I don't know if my 4c hair is fine, but I do remember being able to see through my hair on some occasions, in the light I think. Like if I use the blow dryer on it, or when I have a 3 day old twist out that I kept retwisting at night.

Are you sure it's not breakage? If it isn't then you have an internal problem, which would be worse. Your hair should always be growing.

DST1913

I feel you. I don't know if my 4c hair is fine, but I do remember being able to see through my hair on some occasions, in the light I think. Like if I use the blow dryer on it, or when I have a 3 day old twist out that I kept retwisting at night.

Are you sure it's not breakage? If it isn't then you have an internal problem, which would be worse. Your hair should always be growing.
No breakage that I see. My hair grows. Definitely grows or else I wouldn't have so much natural hair. It's the length retention that isn't happening. I am one of those that believe in terminal length. Its prob against everything on this site but I do. No woman in my dads family has long hair and most are natural. My grandma wore wigs even when she was young. Her hair just never got past TWA. She told me her hair was that length since a child. None of the men can grow facial hair. My dad and uncles are all smooth faced and don't shave. I really think its genetic. My mom and her side are all bi racial with type 3 or 4A. You can put spit in their hair and it would be BSL they flat iron everyday and don't take care of it at all and it grows. I def have more of my dads genes. I'm his twin. I'm not giving up though. The length it is now is the longest its ever been in my entire life. I was called bald headed up to college. so at least I got to this point.

DST1913

I'm thinking about trying out 2 long cornrows for the summer as a protective style. I finally found a tutorial on YouTube that I think I can do.
This is a really good tutorial. Last summer this was my go to style. I would go to the braiding salon to get them. they charge $40 and it lasts about two to three weeks. Im lazy so this tutorial is a lot of work for 2wks but it's a great idea

PerfectlyFlawed

This is a really good tutorial. Last summer this was my go to style. I would go to the braiding salon to get them. they charge $40 and it lasts about two to three weeks. Im lazy so this tutorial is a lot of work for 2wks but it's a great idea

See my cheapness outweighs my laziness lol. May I ask how you moisturized these? Also did you rinse/cowashing/wash at all during those weeks? And if so how? Sorry for all the questions, I just haven't had cornrows extensions in over a decade so I honestly have no idea how to take care of them.

DST1913

See my cheapness outweighs my laziness lol. May I ask how you moisturized these? Also did you rinse/cowashing/wash at all during those weeks? And if so how? Sorry for all the questions, I just haven't had cornrows extensions in over a decade so I honestly have no idea how to take care of them.
So to moisturize I make sure prior to installation to do the LOC method. I also incorporate oyin hair dew which is like THE best mosturizer for my hair. It lasts so long even when I take them down its still soft and moisturized. But I do spritz with Jane Carter leave in once each week so that also helps. One thing though I love water. I wore these last year for an island vacay and....no bueno. Do not get these soaked. They poofed up and since im mostly natural it just curled up too. I don't wash in between since they only last 2 weeks or so.

Carrie A

No breakage that I see. My hair grows. Definitely grows or else I wouldn't have so much natural hair. It's the length retention that isn't happening. I am one of those that believe in terminal length. .

But if the hair is growing isn't the length retention due to breakage, or is the hair falling from the root? I thought terminal length had to do with a time that the hair actually stops growing from the scalp. It's an interesting question. I remember a thread (not sure if was here or nappturality where a poster described what you describe. Basically everyone gave advice about what to do but the fact is that she was doing all the right things but still had limited growth. No one cosigned that the length could be genetics.

Last edited:

DST1913

But if the hair is growing isn't the length retention due to breakage, or is the hair falling from the root? I thought terminal length had to do with a time that the hair actually stops growing from the scalp. It's an interesting question. I remember a thread (not sure if was here or nappturality where a poster describe what you describe. Basically everyone gave advise about what to do but the fact is that she was doing all the right things but still had limited growth. No one cosigned that the length could be genetics.
Yea the genetic thing is not something I see on here talked about but I personally think length is half genetics half healthy hair practices. I think when you combine my genetics with the hard to grow fine 4C hair texture, this is where my personal issue lies. I think with my fine hair my ends get so thin as it ages they become see through and break off. I will always have see through ends. I learned this after protective styling for months and having to always cut the ends. As im reading more about fine 4C hair I'm learning that it doesnt like to be bound for long periods of time so maybe what I thought was helping with the protective styling is not.

Evolving78

Yea the genetic thing is not something I see on here talked about but I personally think length is half genetics half healthy hair practices. I think when you combine my genetics with the hard to grow fine 4C hair texture, this is where my personal issue lies. I think with my fine hair my ends get so thin as it ages they become see through and break off. I will always have see through ends. I learned this after protective styling for months and having to always cut the ends. As im reading more about fine 4C hair I'm learning that it doesnt like to be bound for long periods of time so maybe what I thought was helping with the protective styling is not.
I don't do well with long protective styles either. I have fine hair, just a lot of it. And my hair is prone to SSKs.

But I would say that brush that you have in your photo is something I wouldn't recommend for fine haired gals. I don't think you are at terminal length yet either. You may even benefit more from stretched, or straight hair styles. I know I do. Because my hair is fine and likes to curl up on itself, it causes issues. That's why I decided to go back to relaxed hair. If I was more patient with alternative options, I would have stayed natural.

DST1913

I don't do well with long protective styles either. I have fine hair, just a lot of it. And my hair is prone to SSKs.

But I would say that brush that you have in your photo is something I wouldn't recommend for fine haired gals. I don't think you are at terminal length yet either. You may even benefit more from stretched, or straight hair styles. I know I do. Because my hair is fine and likes to curl up on itself, it causes issues. That's why I decided to go back to relaxed hair. If I was more patient with alternative options, I would have stayed natural.
Thanks for the advice. I rarely brush my hair but this was the first brush I grabbed. I usually either us a modified denman or my fingers. I'm going to try to protective styles for shorter periods. What do you recommend for straighter styles with no heat? Since I'm transitioning my hair is mostly natural so it's harder to get straight. Relaxed is so much easier but he only reason why I won't go back is because it just doesn't look good so thin. After about 3 days straight my hair starts looking like a cat licked it. LOL

Evolving78

Thanks for the advice. I rarely brush my hair but this was the first brush I grabbed. I usually either us a modified denman or my fingers. I'm going to try to protective styles for shorter periods. What do you recommend for straighter styles with no heat? Since I'm transitioning my hair is mostly natural so it's harder to get straight. Relaxed is so much easier but he only reason why I won't go back is because it just doesn't look good so thin. After about 3 days straight my hair starts looking like a cat licked it. LOL
What about roller setting?

DST1913

What about roller setting?
I actually tried that for the first time since I transitioned right before the dominican blow out in the picture. I looked like Harriet Tubman. LOL....I don't know what I would do with it afterwards if I didn't get that blow out. My friend came over that day and she was like ummm.....what's going on here LOL I'm determined to not let this be a self fulfilled prophecy so I'm going to continue to do what I've been doing with some tweaks from what I've been learning about fine natural hair. Thank you ladies for all of your suggestions. It's a work in progress

SAPNK

I actually tried that for the first time since I transitioned right before the dominican blow out in the picture. I looked like Harriet Tubman. LOL....I don't know what I would do with it afterwards if I didn't get that blow out. My friend came over that day and she was like ummm.....what's going on here LOL I'm determined to not let this be a self fulfilled prophecy so I'm going to continue to do what I've been doing with some tweaks from what I've been learning about fine natural hair. Thank you ladies for all of your suggestions. It's a work in progress

What about bunning on stretched hair? Your hair seems long enough. I know my two strand twists suck because my hair is so short, but they look excellent on my friend. Could you try that?

Carrie A

@DST1913

I'm following the thread and I didn't realize your were transitioning to natural.. I think that before you put the jury out on growth patterns. You have to have to grow your natural hair with optimum care- (no color and treating the hair like fine silk as we say) for a few years. I'd say 5+ years. That's when you can really see what happening vs genetics. The lady that I was referring to in my pervious post had been wearing natural hair for years.

Evolving78

What about bunning on stretched hair? Your hair seems long enough. I know my two strand twists suck because my hair is so short, but they look excellent on my friend. Could you try that?
Yes! Bunning. Using clips, satin scrunchies. Roller set to dry the hair stretched, then bun or pin it up. But take your hair down at night, moisturize, seal, and lightly put it up.

DST1913

Good idea. I did bun before and that tucked my ends away. The only thing that worried me was having to redo everyday. I thought that may have been a lot of manipilation. Also I work in a corporate environment and since im transitioning I need to smooth my hair into the bun i cant just let it be bushy which would require brushing daily. I did really like the bunning though. Im going to put it back in rotation thanks for the suggestion

DST1913

@DST1913

I'm following the thread and I didn't realize your were transitioning to natural.. I think that before you put the jury out on growth patterns. You have to have to grow your natural hair with optimum care- (no color and treating the hair like fine silk as we say) for a few years. I'd say 5+ years. That's when you can really see what happening vs genetics. The lady that I was referring to in my pervious post had been wearing natural hair for years.
Wow 5 years? It's only been a little over a year for me. I do think going natural is really what gave me the length I have now. These are the things that help me get to the length I am now which is where I've never been in my entire life

1. I always had scalp issues really dry scalp for years. A dermatologist thought it was a fungus and had me use this scalp medication. A few months after stopping the relaxer it just disappeared. I think that was preventing growth

2. The LOC method. My hair has flourished using this. Oyin hair dew and oils are a god send. Using natural shampoos and conditioner as well

3. Water - I started drinking at least 5 bottles of water a day it really helped not only with my skin but I noticed my hair was looking a lot better

4. Exercise I really think this was the biggest eye opener from me once I started exercising 3 to 4 times a week and noticed I had so much new growth coming in

5. Protein - everything I read about natural fine hair stresses that use of protein on strands. once I started doing hard protein on a regular basis and deep conditioning every single week no matter what, that really made a difference

6. Steaming - purchasing a steamer was the absolute best purchase I've ever made. I steam my hair every single week with deep conditioner and it's been great. I really think this also help with my scalp issues

Very much still learning on this transitioning Journey. I think with all that I've learned right now I just really need to get these protective styles together and I may achieve more growrh than I have now

Evolving78

Wow 5 years? It's only been a little over a year for me. I do think going natural is really what gave me the length I have now. These are the things that help me get to the length I am now which is where I've never been in my entire life

1. I always had scalp issues really dry scalp for years. A dermatologist thought it was a fungus and had me use this scalp medication. A few months after stopping the relaxer it just disappeared. I think that was preventing growth

2. The LOC method. My hair has flourished using this. Oyin hair dew and oils are a god send. Using natural shampoos and conditioner as well

3. Water - I started drinking at least 5 bottles of water a day it really helped not only with my skin but I noticed my hair was looking a lot better

4. Exercise I really think this was the biggest eye opener from me once I started exercising 3 to 4 times a week and noticed I had so much new growth coming in

5. Protein - everything I read about natural fine hair stresses that use of protein on strands. once I started doing hard protein on a regular basis and deep conditioning every single week no matter what, that really made a difference

6. Steaming - purchasing a steamer was the absolute best purchase I've ever made. I steam my hair every single week with deep conditioner and it's been great. I really think this also help with my scalp issues

Very much still learning on this transitioning Journey. I think with all that I've learned right now I just really need to get these protective styles together and I may achieve more growrh than I have now
Yes! You are just beginning! No terminal length going on here! You will be at BSL and beyond before you know it!

Evolving78

I was thinking about her too. She trimmed without fail every three months or so. Maybe a quarter inch or less. She credited the trimming to her length retention.
I trim like a mad woman! Lol but Nonie did not play when it came to getting rid of damaged ends. Damaged ends really suck the life out of your hair. It's like being stuck in a bad relationship! You can buy all of the flowers, candies, provide great sex, cook fabulous meals, read books, and go to counseling, but none of that will work! You just gotta let go and move on! Lol

GGsKin

All this talk of trimming makes me realise that I've not trimmed or dusted my ends since March. That's good for me since I keep a pair of scissors by my bedside, and I stay ready to cut out knots on sight/feel.

GGsKin

Today I used Aphogee 2 Step for the first time, Chicoro-style (by whisking it up into a creamy foam for 3mins). Applying was a breeze and there were no drips. I still got some in my eye due to some stray strands:cantlook:. I blow dried until my twists were hard, and then rinsed.

I followed up with APB UCS, with JBCO on roots and ends and did my cling film-hot towel-foil for heat. Upon take down, my hair had absorbed the conditioner- like no white visible at all.

On to my clay mix. I added a finger-full of APB PMM to this (yes a finger-full lol) and left on for about 40mins. I rinsed, then oil rinsed with grapeseed and wheatgerm. Styled with diluted KCCC.