Apl Challenge 2017

DST1913

Another waste of money on shampoo for me. I decided to try CRN Ginger Rinse and just like all other shampoos it tangled my transitioning hair. I'm beginning to think everything tangles up my hair. The only shampoo I have found that doesn't is shea moisture shea butter shampoo but I don't feel like that really cleans my hair. The knots the other shampoos create are preventing length. Even when I pre poo, pre finger detangle, dont tossle it around as I wash. As soon as I shampoo it just winds up on itself. I guess that SM shampoo is it for me until I cut off these relaxed ends.

Last edited:

faithVA

Another waste of money on shampoo for me. I decided to try CN Ginger Rinse and just like all other shampoos it tangled my transitioning hair. I'm beginning to think everything tangles up my hair. The only shampoo I have found that doesn't is shea moisture shea butter shampoo but I don't feel like that really cleans my hair. The knots the other shampoos create are preventing length. Even when I pre poo, pre finger detangle, dont tossle it around as I wash. As soon as I shampoo it just winds up on itself. I guess that SM shampoo is it for me until I cut off these relaxed ends.

Sorry to hear that. Are you shampooing once or twice and does it do it on the first wash? Are you prepooing with a conditioner or with an oil?

Maybe you can try the buffer method of shampooing and before rinsing, applying the conditioner over it and then rinsing.

DST1913

Sorry to hear that. Are you shampooing once or twice and does it do it on the first wash? Are you prepooing with a conditioner or with an oil?

Maybe you can try the buffer method of shampooing and before rinsing, applying the conditioner over it and then rinsing.
I shampoo twice. It tangles from the first one. To pre poo i do oil on my scalp and then conditioner for the ends. I just started with the conditioner pre poo. I really like it. Im not familiar with the buffer method. What does that entail?

faithVA

I shampoo twice. It tangles from the first one. To pre poo i do oil on my scalp and then conditioner for the ends. I just started with the conditioner pre poo. I really like it. Im not familiar with the buffer method. What does that entail?

You may need to prepoo with a heavy conditioner. I use Sally's Generic Nexxus Humectress. The conditioner you prepoo with does matter. Oil is probably not enough to prepoo with.

Buffer method just means you apply the conditioner on top of the shampoo before you rinse it out. The shampoo is stripping out too much moisture and oil. The conditioner can help add some moisture and oil back in before rinsing so your strands don't stick together so much.

DST1913

You may need to prepoo with a heavy conditioner. I use Sally's Generic Nexxus Humectress. The conditioner you prepoo with does matter. Oil is probably not enough to prepoo with.

Buffer method just means you apply the conditioner on top of the shampoo before you rinse it out. The shampoo is stripping out too much moisture and oil. The conditioner can help add some moisture and oil back in before rinsing so your strands don't stick together so much.
Ohh ok I will try this method. It is definitely the stripping that makes it tangle. Whenever a shampoo makes my hair feel squeaky clean I know its going to knot up. This method sounds like a good option. I want to alternate between SM and CRN so will see if this helps on the days I use CRN. Thanks!

Last edited:

faithVA

Ohh ok I will try this method. It is definitely the stripping that makes it tangle. Whenever a shampoo makes my hair feel squeaky clean I know its going to knot up. This method sounds like a good option. I want to alternate between SM and CN so will see if this helps on the days I use CN. Thanks!

If you run across a bottle of Elasta QP shampoo give it a shot. I found it to work nicely. There are very few shampoos I can use without prepoooing.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
My hair feels amazing and I have no idea how. My curls are popping and I have like zero frizz.

It's either the Shea Moisture regimen I'm doing or the fact I've accidentally replaced shampoo with cleansing conditioner. Or it could be I took care of my hair this week.

quirkydimples

So I'm late, but here goes...

What length are you now? NL

Natural/Relaxed/Transitioning? Relaxed

What's your regimen? I wash and deep condition under a dryer once a week. When I'm exercising, I wash and condition 2-3 times a week. I air dry 85% then blow dry and flat iron. At night, I pin curl, although I may start wrapping.

What's do you need to do/change to reach APL? I'm shooting for SL by December. I've been scissor happy in the past because I'm obsessed with blunt cuts. I'm growing out my pixie and trying to trim only when necessary. I just trimmed 1/2 inch today.

What's your goal month if any? December 2017. I'm hoping to reach SL, but we'll see.

Photo after today's trim attached.

Attachments

• IMG_9623.JPG
    IMG_9623.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 18

IslandMummy

Another waste of money on shampoo for me. I decided to try CN Ginger Rinse and just like all other shampoos it tangled my transitioning hair. I'm beginning to think everything tangles up my hair. The only shampoo I have found that doesn't is shea moisture shea butter shampoo but I don't feel like that really cleans my hair. The knots the other shampoos create are preventing length. Even when I pre poo, pre finger detangle, dont tossle it around as I wash. As soon as I shampoo it just winds up on itself. I guess that SM shampoo is it for me until I cut off these relaxed ends.
I will curse Creme of Nature from now until my dying day for discontinuing their shampoo. It was the only shampoo that didn't tangle my hair, now I wash with a suave cheapie and KIM. Four braided sections and go.

DST1913

I will curse Creme of Nature from now until my dying day for discontinuing their shampoo. It was the only shampoo that didn't tangle my hair, now I wash with a suave cheapie and KIM. Four braided sections and go.
Which one was discontinued? When I was relaxed I uses the sulfate free one I think with Argan oil. It gave great slip. I may try it again bit IIRC the ingredients weren't that great

SAPNK

Ohh ok I will try this method. It is definitely the stripping that makes it tangle. Whenever a shampoo makes my hair feel squeaky clean I know its going to knot up. This method sounds like a good option. I want to alternate between SM and CRN so will see if this helps on the days I use CRN. Thanks!

Do you wash your hair all at once? Maybe you should wash in sections or twists. That helped me.

IslandMummy

Which one was discontinued? When I was relaxed I uses the sulfate free one I think with Argan oil. It gave great slip. I may try it again bit IIRC the ingredients weren't that great

Best shampoo ever

faithVA

So I'm late, but here goes...

What length are you now? NL

Natural/Relaxed/Transitioning? Relaxed

What's your regimen? I wash and deep condition under a dryer once a week. When I'm exercising, I wash and condition 2-3 times a week. I air dry 85% then blow dry and flat iron. At night, I pin curl, although I may start wrapping.

What's do you need to do/change to reach APL? I'm shooting for SL by December. I've been scissor happy in the past because I'm obsessed with blunt cuts. I'm growing out my pixie and trying to trim only when necessary. I just trimmed 1/2 inch today.

What's your goal month if any? December 2017. I'm hoping to reach SL, but we'll see.

Photo after today's trim attached.
Welcome. Glad to have you.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
I was lurking in the hip length challeng and I saw that there are a few ladies doing a year long challenge of being 100% consistent with their regime. I think I'm going to do the same, I really need to stay consistent.
Me too. That's why I started seriously hair journaling on LHCF again.
My fotki was great for that..
I have The Hair Diary app on my phone, but I'm always nervous that all of my entries could disappear.

tapioca_pudding

Nothing new to report... Same ol same ol.

DH and I are going on a trip July 4th weekend to see friends we haven't seen in a while. So all of June I'm accelerating all of my efforts to be flawless. :lol: Not doing any new crazy techniques or using new/strange products that could screw w/ my progress (this will be tough lol), eating clean, hitting all workouts, hair protected all month etc. No "cheats" during June. I actually try to do this about once each quarter and I really do see bomb results. So I'm hoping for the same once June is over so I can see our friends and pretend I woke up like dis. :lol: It will likely be too hot to flat iron that weekend in July, so I'll prolly do a braid out or flexi set like in my avi.

Last edited:

Evolving78

Nothing new to report... Same ol same ol.

DH and I are going on a trip July 4th weekend to see friends we haven't seen in a while. So all of June I'm accelerating all of my efforts to be flawless. :lol: Not doing any new crazy techniques or using new/strange products that could screw w/ my progress (this will be tough lol), eating clean, hitting all workouts, hair protected all month etc. No "cheats" during June. I actually try to do this about once each quarter and I really do see bomb results. So I'm hoping for the same once June is over so I can see our friends and pretend I woke up like dis. :lol: It will likely be too hot to flat iron that weekend in July, so I'll prolly do a braid out or flexi set like in my avi.
I need to get it together too. I got until next spring.

DST1913

Going away so decided to get just 2 simple goddess braids at the african braiding shop....i blow dried my hair some because if your hair is not at least some sort of semblance of straight they will blow it and pull all your strands out. I also perfectly parted it down the middle so they wouldn't even have to manipulate it to do that. THEN what do you think she does? Takes out that darn rat tooth comb and proceeds to comb may hair starting from the root! I heard all kinds of snap crackle and pops and was like uhhh hell naw! What is up with the African braiders and them lil *** combs???!!!!

Then I was mad because I usually have them use eco styler gel but they said they were out and had tons off lets jam. Ugghh lets jam is greasy and does absolutely nothing for me. I might as well had put oil from my car in my hair. As soon as I get back Im clarifying and doing a protein treatment. I know for next time to bring my own comb and gel.

Evolving78

Going away so decided to get just 2 simple goddess braids at the african braiding shop....i blow dried my hair some because if your hair is not at least some sort of semblance of straight they will blow it and pull all your strands out. I also perfectly parted it down the middle so they wouldn't even have to manipulate it to do that. THEN what do you think she does? Takes out that darn rat tooth comb and proceeds to comb may hair starting from the root! I heard all kinds of snap crackle and pops and was like uhhh hell naw! What is up with the African braiders and them lil *** combs???!!!!

Then I was mad because I usually have them use eco styler gel but they said they were out and had tons off lets jam. Ugghh lets jam is greasy and does absolutely nothing for me. I might as well had put oil from my car in my hair. As soon as I get back Im clarifying and doing a protein treatment. I know for next time to bring my own comb and gel.
No girl! I wish you would have seen my posts about me getting my hair braided. The same thing happened to me. She ripped hair out of my crown with that rat tail comb! I had to cut 4-5 inches off to get rid of the damage. My chunk of my strands fell on my shirt, like she was using scissors!
I hope your hair is ok!