Apl Challenge 2017

DST1913

No girl! I wish you would have seen my posts about me getting my hair braided. The same thing happened to me. She ripped hair out of my crown with that rat tail comb! I had to cut 4-5 inches off to get rid of the damage. My chunk of my strands fell on my shirt, like she was using scissors!
I hope your hair is ok!
Omg. I cant believe they did that much damage to your head! I just don't understand. The ones in my salon are all natural 4c textures. Do they rake through their own hair with those combs??

Evolving78

Omg. I cant believe they did that much damage to your head! I just don't understand. The ones in my salon are all natural 4c textures. Do they rake through their own hair with those combs??
She had no edges... I should have known better...lol
Some people can tolerate a lot of abuse. I'm 4a and I can barely comb through my hair straight! but remember that used to be the go-to comb. Nobody cared about breakage. We needed our styles to be on point! People got hip to wide toothed combs 15-20 years ago. Folks in IRL still use any kind of comb without a thought.

Evolving78

I got some Tropical Roots growth oil. I was looking for a light oil that didn't have soybean oil in it. I was gonna get some Mane Choice, but I'm not paying $19 for some soybean oil with droplets of Essential oils. Soybean oil makes my hair feel crunchy.

I found an oil that I can use with my leave-in/Moisturizing spray.

I thought about getting some clip-ins to create a ponytail for the summer. Something I can use when my wrap starts looking wack, or it gets hot.

Nevermind the clip-ins.. too much manipulation...

Last edited:

DST1913

She had no edges... I should have known better...lol
Some people can tolerate a lot of abuse. I'm 4a and I can barely comb through my hair straight! but remember that used to be the go-to comb. Nobody cared about breakage. We needed our styles to be on point! People got hip to wide toothed combs 15-20 years ago. Folks in IRL still use any kind of comb without a thought.
When I was younger these were combs used to part your hair only. And then Ive used them to smooth relaxer in my hair. Never to comb. Its inhumane. Lol

DST1913

The woman that made the app is/was actually a member here.

I got the free version when she launched it a few years ago.

This is what it looks like:
Say what??? I just looked and there are a few apps. I have a plane ride for several hours so this is going to be my busy work. Thanks!

ETA i compared the 3 that came up and have decided on this one
Screenshot_20170524-202633.jpg

Last edited:

Cattypus1

All loced up...
It maybe from the comb. I can't run a fine toothed comb through my hair even after getting my hair relaxed.

But just to be on the safe side, wash with neutralizing shampoo twice, shampoo with a Moisturizing shampoo, then get some French Perm Stablizer. Let that sit for 10-15 mins. Rinse that out, then use aphogee 2 min. rinse then use a Moisturizing deep conditioner.

This should take care of any breakage you have.

When I wrap my hair, I have to spray it with a hair polishing spray, or some oil sheen. This helps the comb glide better.
Girl, you are a wealth of knowledge! So incredibly helpful and specific. Thank you, lady!

Carrie A

That hair diary app is very cool! This weeks I tried Deva Curl products for my wash and go. The results have been fantastic. Day two nd my hair feels so soft. My friend gave me her Deva Curl hair box so no cast to me- a bonus. I' m loving these products plus I have the Deva cut.

I finally opened the box with my hair massager so I'll try my best to get into the routine. I was checking out the scalp exfoliation thread that was bumped. Now that I'm using more moisturizing products regularly, I realize that I will have to clarify and maybe add a scalp exfoliation process to my wash day routine.

GGsKin

I combed my hair today for the first time in about 5 months. So many sheds. I've been sitting for most of the day with a garlic, UCS and castor oil mix on my scalp (minus the garlic, on my length), under my hot towel/foil/baggy combo. I'll rinse it out tomorrow and follow with clay.

bajandoc86

Lipstick Lover
@faithVA

Thank you!

I feel like I nearly drove myself crazy trying to reach APL. I can't believe I can grab and pull my hair from behind!!! :yay: I think I am most hype about that.

This is the longest my hair has ever been. I thought I would feel like my hair was long once I reached this point. But it doesn't. LOL.

I plan to stay here until my hemline touches APL comfortably without being stretched.

Evolving78

@faithVA

Thank you!

I feel like I nearly drove myself crazy trying to reach APL. I can't believe I can grab and pull my hair from behind!!! :yay: I think I am most hype about that.

This is the longest my hair has ever been. I thought I would feel like my hair was long once I reached this point. But it doesn't. LOL.

I plan to stay here until my hemline touches APL comfortably without being stretched.
Congratulations!

faithVA

@faithVA

Thank you!

I know. Being able to grab your hair from the back puts you in a new category :lol:

If you are like others you have to be near MBL before your hair starts to seem long.

bajandoc86

Lipstick Lover
@shortdub78 Thank you! :blush:

Congrats! What was your regimine? What do you think was the biggest thing that contributed to you reaching the goal?

Thanks! I had to make some changes to my regimen over the last 3 months due to a bad run-in with a new braider. Perviously I would detangle/prepoo/wash/dc/blowdry/cornrow at the salon once every 6 weeks, and within those 6 weeks I would cowash/shampoo/dc in cornrows and utilise wigs for styling.

But when I discovered that a new braider DESTROYED my ends, I had to do a 1/2- 1 inch trim because my ends were so thin and made the decision to do everything by myself. Since I can't do small cornrows like the braider would, I now do large cornrows post a full wash day every 3 weeks and use continue to use wigs for styling. I have to see if this more frequent manipulation won't cause any harm in the long run.

I also LCOB every 3-4 days and oil my scalp 2x a week.

Biggest contributors with regards to reaching my goal are keeping my hair stretched and low manipulation.

Evolving78

Thanks! I had to make some changes to my regimen over the last 3 months due to a bad run-in with a new braider. Perviously I would detangle/prepoo/wash/dc/blowdry/cornrow at the salon once every 6 weeks, and within those 6 weeks I would cowash/shampoo/dc in cornrows and utilise wigs for styling.

But when I discovered that a new braider DESTROYED my ends, I had to do a 1/2- 1 inch trim because my ends were so thin and made the decision to do everything by myself. Since I can't do small cornrows like the braider would, I now do large cornrows post a full wash day every 3 weeks and use continue to use wigs for styling. I have to see if this more frequent manipulation won't cause any harm in the long run.

Biggest contributors with regards to reaching my goal are keeping my hair stretched and low manipulation.
Evil hair Braiders are running rampant in these streets! I will never get my hair braided by someone else ever again. If I can't braid it, then it's not meant for me to have that style. I have installed my own Senegalese twists before! It took 5 days, but I did it!

DST1913

Oh man these braiders dont care at all about retaining hair. I see a lot of ppl on the board gained length with wigs. I have never worn one although I have tried some on and they look terrible on me.

What is LCOB? Leave in, cream, oil, braid? Im going to try bunning for low manipulation. I need to keep my ends hidden

DST1913

Took out goddess braids and clarified to get that horrible let's jam gel out of my hair, then sat under the steamer with curl rehab.

I usually wash my hair in 4 sections but did 6 this time and there was significantly less tangling and shedding. Took more time and the water got cold before I finished but I guess this is what I need to do if I want to keep hair on my head.

Evolving78

Oh man these braiders dont care at all about retaining hair. I see a lot of ppl on the board gained length with wigs. I have never worn one although I have tried some on and they look terrible on me.

What is LCOB? Leave in, cream, oil, braid? Im going to try bunning for low manipulation. I need to keep my ends hidden
B is for butter! I think bunning would work well for your length!

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
My hair feels amazing and I have no idea how. My curls are popping and I have like zero frizz.

It's either the Shea Moisture regimen I'm doing or the fact I've accidentally replaced shampoo with cleansing conditioner. Or it could be I took care of my hair this week.

I figured out what was working for my hair. Shea Moisture has a elasticity treatment (it's in a nw purple pack) that was making my ends curl up so much and be so soft. Since SM is cancelled, I'm going to try the Aphogee treatment.

PerfectlyFlawed

So it looks like I'm going to have to go back to rinsing/cowashing every day. It seems to be the only Reggie that this beautiful beast on my head loves. When I was rinsing/cowashing daily it was the only time on this HHJ that I experienced very little to no breakage. And it doesn't take many products nor does it take much time.

DST1913

Are there any naturals or transitioners that bun everyday? I tried this and I can't seem to do it. My hair is just so tightly coiled it won't pull back. I watched some you tub vids and none of them seem to do anything to the middle of their head, just slick back the sides. Maybe that's my issue. I'm trying to get the middle of my hair smooth as well. My thought is spraying with water then just pulling back not thinking about the middle. It's a mess in the middle though.

faithVA

Are there any naturals or transitioners that bun everyday? I tried this and I can't seem to do it. My hair is just so tightly coiled it won't pull back. I watched some you tub vids and none of them seem to do anything to the middle of their head, just slick back the sides. Maybe that's my issue. I'm trying to get the middle of my hair smooth as well. My thought is spraying with water then just pulling back not thinking about the middle. It's a mess in the middle though.
That's a good question. I've not yet tried to bun but if I did it would have to be on stretched hair. I can't imagine letting the middle be a bird's nest. It would be terrible when it was time to wash.