Apl Challenge 2017

gvin89

I plan to take my braids out at the end of the month. I believe I've gotten good growth. I've noticed that my hair texture in the front has changed. It's not as "kinky" if you will....it feels far different from the back. I don't know what this means for me as far as styling. I'm contemplating getting another set of braids in October and see if I can push on to APL by year's end.

LushLox

I'm more or less back at APL now but it's not full and lush as I would like it to be so I'll wait a while before claiming this milestone. I will trim in the next few weeks and, if all goes well, I should be full APL by the end of the year.

I'm quite pleased because illness caused a great loss of my hair at the latter part of last year. So I'm glad I've managed to turn it around.

Evolving78

I'm more or less back at APL now but it's not full and lush as I would like it to be so I'll wait a while before claiming this milestone. I will trim in the next few weeks and, if all goes well, I should be full APL by the end of the year.

I'm quite pleased because illness caused a great loss of my hair at the latter part of last year. So I'm glad I've managed to turn it around.
I will quietly claim it for you! Lol

DST1913

Update.....ok so the seamless magic star rake comb is a hit. It just glides through my hair. I prepood and detangled first and usually even during that process I have enough hair to make a baby wig. But this time significantly less hair. It was worth my $25. I guess I have been just tearing my hair out all this time with my conair detangling comb.

LushLox

Purchased one of those seamless hercules sagemann magic star rake combs. My other detangling combs had seams and I wondered if it was contributing to the shedding on wash day.

This thing better be some type of holy grail item for $25.

The Sagemann combs are amazing. I don't use the magic star but I have a few of the smaller ones. They are the only combs I use I wouldn't use anything else.

CharlieEcho

I'm seriously considering cutting my hair. It's so thin it's embarrassing.

Recently I decided not to comb my hair except on wash days and I realised wet combing has thinned my hair considerably. At the time I assumed the shedding was from the week's build up of hair that would naturally shed. I realise now I was storing up longer term hair loss. Sigh

Last edited:

DST1913

Recently I decided not to comb my hair except on wash days and I realised wet combing has thinned my hair considerably. At the time I assumed the shedding was from the week's build up of hair that would naturally shed. I realise now I was storing up longer term hair loss. Sigh
I wondered if wet combing was making me lose hair but I cannot get tangles out without my hair being under water. Go ahead and cut. I did because my ends were really thin and it didn't look good. Its looks fuller now. I know its hard but dont hold on to them. Ive always had thin hair but its thinned a lot more with age.

Evolving78

I comb damp hair and I use a detangler. I also use seamless combs. Even when I was natural, I would comb with loads of conditioner. Are you snatching hairs from the follicle? (White bulb) or is it breakage? (No bulb)
Can you air dry your hair a bit, then comb? I ripped out some hair using the wrong comb, not being gentle enough..

CharlieEcho

I comb damp hair and I use a detangler. I also use seamless combs. Even when I was natural, I would comb with loads of conditioner. Are you snatching hairs from the follicle? (White bulb) or is it breakage? (No bulb)
Can you air dry your hair a bit, then comb? I ripped out some hair using the wrong comb, not being gentle enough..
All the hairs are with a bulb on the end. My hair is beyond measures like combing with conditioner now. Ive been on this hair journey for over 10 years. Failed as a natural twice and now failing as a relaxed head. I think it's time to accept my hair will never get beyond CBL and look thick and healthy.

PerfectlyFlawed

All the hairs are with a bulb on the end. My hair is beyond measures like combing with conditioner now. Ive been on this hair journey for over 10 years. Failed as a natural twice and now failing as a relaxed head. I think it's time to accept my hair will never get beyond CBL and look thick and healthy.

I know how you feel, I've been on this journey for 5 years and I've decided that whatever length I am in 2 years is the length I'll be. I want to enjoy my hair without worrying about retaining.

Evolving78

How many weeks are you? If you are shedding like that, it's something else. How often are you using a sulfate shampoo cleanse your scalp? Try garlic pills, and garlic shampoo. It's either an internal issue, or you have cloggged follicles. Is your iron levels good? Zinc, magnesium?

faithVA

It looks like my nape is 1 to 1.5 inches from APL. But it has looked like that for a year :lol: Seriously though, I can see a small change from where it was in April. However, after I straighten at the end of the month, I'm not sure how much I will need to trim off so I may not make that much progress :ohwell:

The good news is that the majority of the back is some version of shoulder length. So maybe all of the back can be full APL by the end of June 2018.

CharlieEcho

How many weeks are you? If you are shedding like that, it's something else. How often are you using a sulfate shampoo cleanse your scalp? Try garlic pills, and garlic shampoo. It's either an internal issue, or you have cloggged follicles. Is your iron levels good? Zinc, magnesium?
I'm 3m post. I'll try the gaflic pills. I have good nutrition so I get most of my vitamins through food. My hair is naturally thin - this last few months it's shedded a lot

Evolving78

I'm going to get the DE avocado conditioner and shampoo. Not now, but one of these days. What I really need to do is get a shower filter. Why do I keep forgetting that? That will be on my list for the end of the month. I wish I could go a month without washing my hair.