Apl Challenge 2017

Curls&Justice417

I've been MIA for way too long BUT I did want to chime in and say the journey is still going well! I got kind of bored with styling and trying new products, but I still kept up with my routine (well...oil treatments and have kind of gone by the wayside and I haven't been leaving on my deep conditioner as long as I probably should but that's neither here nor there lol:look:) anyway! My growth is on track, breakage is little to none, shedding is normal. I am due for a protein treatment so I plan on doing that early next month. My hair is still frizzy but I think that's just the way it wants to be lol I need to do a length check soon, I'm excited to see the difference:)

SAPNK

I guess I'll keep these crochet braids in until the end of the month and then do a length check, but I just don't know about straightening. It's just so much work and so hot. And my flat irons suck. I would buy another but I'm not sure how long I'll have this job so I just don't know. But I don't think I can get the full effect of the length of my hair by just stretching a piece. I'll see what happens.

LushLox

Deep condition twice a week? That's not a bad idea . My hair always feels great after a wash.

Yeah it's nice, especially in the summer when it's hot; my scalp is grateful.

I think I might get some more satin rollers, and a few more larger (grey and purple) flexi rods to do dry sets on my hair. I will allow my hair to air dry, and I may set my hair when it's 80-90 dry. This way if I want to wear it curly, I don't have to do any wet setting, or blow dry with heat to curl. I can pin up the hair, so it's not snagging on anything either. I have a serious demarcation line, so I don't want to put a lot of tension on my strands. I may wet set in another year or two. Once I make MBL, I can start trimming off my bone straight ends more aggressively.

Yeah I'm going to try the satin pillow rollers.

It's a winner, it's not so much manipulation on the hair because you don't really need to comb too much, well not the first few weeks post touch up. And it's such a nice easy style, you can pin the hair into a loose bun and still look cute. It's a no brainer for me.

I have loads of satin rollers and flexis, they both give really nice beach waves when I opt to wear it down.

My bun was too tight today, I could just feel my edges crying, I won't be doing that again it's too much stress on the hair and I should know better. :nono:

londonfog

My last check in was back in March so I see I missed a length check in April. I've been in crochets for a while & took them out yesterday, washed and DC'd. I'm always excited for progress. The side now reaches right below my collar bone. I''m hopeful that I'll make it to APL 12/31, but it if I do, it'll be barely. I'm still happy though because the last time I was past collar-bone in my life was NEVER! My mom, sister and I all had horrible hair practices in the past and so no one really goes too long with growing their hair out in my immediate family. Before I became natural (started transitioning back in 2014.....I think), it was constantly broken off and I didn't take care of it.

I'm currently in my halo twist protective style thingamabob until I figure out what I want to do next. I really want to do a lace front, however, my last attempt back in 2013 left my edges even more sparse than what they already were and ain't nobody got time for sparse edges! o_O So I may be doing some crochets again. I'll take progress pic this evening to post.

LushLox

@LushLox and @shortdub78 do you comb your new growth and if so do you do so when wet or dry?

I can only do that confidently when it's wet and with conditioner. I have done it on dry hair but for me, I think it's a recipe for breakage. If I feel I really need to loosen up the new growth, I'll part the hair into four, apply some spray moisturiser, and detangle with my fingers.

PerfectlyFlawed

Almost 14 weeks post. Going to put in some faux locs this weekend. I'm trying to find a balance between looking cute everyday and keeping my hair healthy; It has not been easy.

This caused me so much damage ugh!

Anywho I have good and bad news, good news my mom relaxed my hair and I trimmed it. My hair feels amazing. Bad news I'm still teaching my mom how to take length check photos. For some reason she just gets really close to my head to the point where you can't see where it lies on the body, We're going to try again later.

Last edited:

DST1913

So got my weave and I'm on the fence. I've never had one so its new and may take some getting used to. I have no leave out so it looks wiggy to me. Also the hair is too silky. It holds no curl at all. The girl curled it to style it and by the time I left the shop all the curls were gone. I curled it again last night and pin curled it overnight and this morning took them out and the curls lasted all of maybe 10 minutes. I've been looking into whether you can put perm rods in and boil it similar to how I do my crochet braids. But I'm reading that that may make it permanent but it might make it curly. I don't know. I'm already over the weave and it's only been 2 days. Any suggestions are welcome

GGsKin

So got my weave and I'm on the fence. I've never had one so its new and may take some getting used to. I have no leave out so it looks wiggy to me. Also the hair is too silky. It holds no curl at all. The girl curled it to style it and by the time I left the shop all the curls were gone. I curled it again last night and pin curled it overnight and this morning took them out and the curls lasted all of maybe 10 minutes. I've been looking into whether you can put perm rods in and boil it similar to how I do my crochet braids. But I'm reading that that may make it permanent but it might make it curly. I don't know. I'm already over the weave and it's only been 2 days. Any suggestions are welcome

No leave out can be daunting for a first weave (I did the same thing though). What type of hair did you use? How is is cut/ styled? Have you considered a frontal?

DST1913

No leave out can be daunting for a first weave (I did the same thing though). What type of hair did you use? How is is cut/ styled? Have you considered a frontal?
It's cut in layers. But cut is fine it actually is just the hair texture. It needs to be a little more textured I guess is the word. it's silky and soft .I have a black tie event to go to this weekend and I'm so glad that I got this done early enough in the week that I can try different things or even take it out if I change my mind. I just went to the beauty supply store and got mousse, setting lotion and hairspray. I'm going to curl this thing with perm rods and hopefully it will stay with some or all of those products. I think this is my first and last weave. I am going to stick with crochet braids. for all of this work I could have just left my hair natural. If I'm going to be adding all these products and curling and drying. Weave was supposed to be simple and allow me not to have to be bothered with doing my hair everyday. Crotchet braids are less than half the price and less wiggy

Evolving78

I'm throwing my Keracare humecto in the trash! (The bottle) it's not working for me. Didn't add any moisture, hair felt coated, but no slip. I had to go back in the shower and rewash my hair, and conditioned with Aphogee 2 min. I used the Aphogee provitamin leave-in conditioner too. I wanted to get the green tea spray, but I thought that would be overkill of the protein.
I also used ORS humidity serum.

Going to see how using Aphogee for a 4-6 weeks works for my hair. I'm going to get the green tea shampoo next.

gvin89

Caved and took my braids out Wednesday night. I used SM JBCO line in an effort to use up products. I did chunky 2 strand twists (setting for a twistout)....took them down yesterday morning and it was so cute! Humidity won my fight to keep it that way all day though. Retwisted and will try again today.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
I tried the bottle of humecto loooong ago and was not impressed. The tub works best.
I'm throwing my Keracare humecto in the trash! (The bottle) it's not working for me. Didn't add any moisture, hair felt coated, but no slip. I had to go back in the shower and rewash my hair, and conditioned with Aphogee 2 min. I used the Aphogee provitamin leave-in conditioner too. I wanted to get the green tea spray, but I thought that would be overkill of the protein.
I also used ORS humidity serum.

Going to see how using Aphogee for a 4-6 weeks works for my hair. I'm going to get the green tea shampoo next.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
I've been MIA, but my hair is doing well.

I'm listening to my scalp in regards to a wash schedule. Washing ranges from every 1-2 weeks.

Last week I skipped the clay wash and did a conditioner only wash with a new mix I tried out (and loved). ::: vo5 strawberries & cream + full fat greek yogurt + honey

My wash regimen is super simple these days and I don't spend much time thinking about my hair.

Wash regimen~
Wash wk1 : clay overnight
Wash wk2 : Deep condition & steam
Wash wk3: clay overnight
Wash wk4: vo5/ greek yogurt/ honey

No shampoo has been working well since April. .. so I'll stick with it.
I'll revisit shampoo only if I decide to flat iron..

Carrie A

Update.....ok so the seamless magic star rake comb is a hit. It just glides through my hair. I prepood and detangled first and usually even during that process I have enough hair to make a baby wig. But this time significantly less hair. It was worth my $25. I guess I have been just tearing my hair out all this time with my conair detangling comb.

Is that the big black one with very long teeth?

Evolving78

So I got these Aphogee products! lol I was gonna get the green tea reconstructor. I was gifted the deep moisture shampoo, the balancing conditioner, and a big bottle of the provitamin leave-in.
So should I get the Green Tea Spray?

I will not be messing with the 2 step treatment. I'm gonna use the products for 4-6 weeks to build some strengthen, since I will be dealing with two textures.

Last edited:

Evolving78

Can you ladies believe I'm just now washing my hair again? lol it's been a busy week! I used the Aphogee Deep moisture shampoo and use the 2 min for 2-3 mins in the shower. I won't be deep conditioning. I gotta find a new deep conditioner. Hair feels soft and smooth. Will be detangling with the Provitamin.