Apl Challenge 2017

faithVA

I want to join.

What length are you now? SL

Natural/Relaxed/Transitioning?
Transitioning without big chopping.

What's your regimen?
Can't say I have one because I have not been consistent.
Shampoo, deep condition, and detangle once a week or once every other week.
Moisturize and seal with coconut oil every other night.
Rock braidouts when I go out of the house.
Dye haie jet black every 2-3months.

What's do you need to do/change to reach APL?
Need to be more consistent with my regimen. Wearing a wig more often would probably help a lot.

What's your goal month if any?
Dec. 2017 would be nice but I'm not going to bet on it. I'm not in a rush to get to APL because my last go around drove me nuts. It took over 2 years for me to reach APL. So yeah, maybe I'll get there in a year or maybe it will take two years again.
Welcome to the thread.

Wenbev

I will probably wash my hair tomorrow or Saturday. I'm not on schedule, but as long as it gets done. I think I will allow my hair to air dry a little longer. It just takes a really long time to blow dry.
Have you tried tshirt drying. Wicks the water so fast. I leave a tshirt on for like 20-25 min before blowdrying and its just damp enough to blowdry. Then blowdrying takes less time and less stress on the hair

Evolving78

Have you tried tshirt drying. Wicks the water so fast. I leave a tshirt on for like 20-25 min before blowdrying and its just damp enough to blowdry. Then blowdrying takes less time and less stress on the hair
I did it last wash for about 5-10 mins. It helped a lot. I don't know why I stopped doing it?

SAPNK

I'm late but joining this and the SL challenge (to reach full shoulder length) will give me some much needed motivation.

What length are you now?
SL

Natural 4b/c

What's your regimen?

I am going to keep my hair in box braids for 6-8 weeks then let it rest for 2. I'll try to do this consistently over the course of the year. I've had problems with itching in the past so I'm going to do the ACV soak on the hair before I use it.

Before braiding:
Wash/Deep condition
Twists to stretch and reduce blow drying time
Blow dry

Once my hair is braided:
Spritz it with water every day
Use castor oil on my edges every other night or every 3 nights
oil 1-2x per week. I'll also use the Mane and Tail braid spray I have.
I probably won't wash my scalp until it's been three weeks.

Moisturize
Be gentler with my ends
Stick to a regimen

Goal areas: back, front, sides, crowns.
The back and sides, because they show length and don't grow as well as my crown

I'll just take the whole year and shoot for December.

I can't get my hair done right now, so I'm going to have to be very careful dealing with it until then.

Attachments

• WIN_20170106_22_54_11_Pro (2).jpg
    WIN_20170106_22_54_11_Pro (2).jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 17
  • WIN_20170106_23_10_51_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20170106_23_10_51_Pro.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 17
  • WIN_20170106_23_11_50_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20170106_23_11_50_Pro.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 14

faithVA

I was considering leaving my two strands in for 4 weeks but I think I won't press my luck. I will wear them one more week and wash. Then I will switch over to flat twist. After I figure out how to moisturize them I will try to extend my wear.

faithVA

Thanks @faithVA!... So far, I get the right over left... It's when I get to the part that " add hair with the left index finger" . It seems like I have to reset my hands or something
When you take the hair in the right hand and put it over the hair in the left, and that moment you have both sections of hair in your right hand pinched together. Take your left hand and grab a section and at the same time, take your nail/forefinger and part off a section of hair. If you can't get a clean part, let go with your right hand and pull the hair apart and make a clean section.

It is easier to see than to explain.

victory777

When you take the hair in the right hand and put it over the hair in the left, and that moment you have both sections of hair in your right hand pinched together. Take your left hand and grab a section and at the same time, take your nail/forefinger and part off a section of hair. If you can't get a clean part, let go with your right hand and pull the hair apart and make a clean section.

It is easier to see than to explain.
:happydance:. That actually helped a lot!! I was taking the right hand over the left and still holding on the hair with both hands. Smh

GGsKin

I'm joining in!

What length are you now?
APL; longest layers with varying shorter layers (shortest shown in pic below)
Natural
What's your regimen?
Regular DC and clay washing/ water rinsing. Regular dusting. Wear wng styled with diluted KCCC. Finger comb/ detangle 100%. I comb maybe every 3-4 months or so just to make sure my clumps aren't locing.
My hair just seems to grow faster at the back. I'm down for treating it right and letting it grow. I tweak as I go.
Whole Top half- front, canopy/crown. Still the same length it was in Sept/ Oct. But I do notice new hairs getting longer.
Let's say Dec 2017.

Post your starting pic of areas NOT APL.Instasize_0108195005.jpg Instasize_0108194839.jpg Instasize_0108202031.jpg

DST1913

I washed and steamed my hair today and tried flexi rods for the first time using the horseshoe method. It came out great! that tutorial was a life saver. I've never tried flexi rods because it always looks like it takes to much time to do but this method with 8 rods took no time. The only thing is I can't figure out what the heck to do with it at night to make it still look good in the morning. I'm wondering if this is just a one day type style. I used the video from the flexi rod thread. Am I the only person that actually likes wash day? It's therapeutic to me and give me an opportunity to try a new style each week.

faithVA

I'm joining in!

What length are you now?
APL; longest layers with varying shorter layers (shortest shown in pic below)
Natural
What's your regimen?
Regular DC and clay washing/ water rinsing. Regular dusting. Wear wng styled with diluted KCCC. Finger comb/ detangle 100%. I comb maybe every 3-4 months or so just to make sure my clumps aren't locing.
My hair just seems to grow faster at the back. I'm down for treating it right and letting it grow. I tweak as I go.
Whole Top half- front, canopy/crown. Still the same length it was in Sept/ Oct. But I do notice new hairs getting longer.
Let's say Dec 2017.

Post your starting pic of areas NOT APL.View attachment 385259 View attachment 385261 View attachment 385263
Thank you. You took those pictures perfectly :yep:

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
Thank you for the add @faithVA.

I'm already off to a bad start. I washed and conditioned my hair about a week ago maybe and haven't done much to it since. It's tangled and dry from me sleeping without braiding it. That's a big no no for me. *Sigh* I'm gonna have to cowash before it turns into a real mess. I really have to get back on the wagon with my routine.

faithVA

Thank you for the add @faithVA.

I'm already off to a bad start. I washed and conditioned my hair about a week ago maybe and haven't done much to it since. It's tangled and dry from me sleeping without braiding it. That's a big no no for me. *Sigh* I'm gonna have to cowash before it turns into a real mess. I really have to get back on the wagon with my routine.
OK. Get it together. I don't understand any of what you are doing :lol:

SAPNK

I won't be getting my hair done for a while (took my dog to the vet and the bill was crazy!), so I'm going to have to do a temporary regimen until I can. Although now I think instead of braiding at the salon, I'll try my hand at doing some Marley/ Havana twists myself. I practiced and it seems like I can do it, and it'll be much cheaper/ less painful.

I don't know what to do with my hair for now though. I'm tired of the faux buns, as it takes a lot of effort to get my hair in, and my scalp itches more now, for some reason so all that gel makes it difficult to scratch.
I have to do something tonight so I might just do a twist out. I have a lot of perm rods but I think sets look silly on me (personally) with my short hair. It doesn't hang, haha.