April 2018: Hits & Misses

naturalyogini

Miss
Carol's Daughter Coco hair butter. You know, the new product line. The smell is too perfumey. The butter has no slip, no moisture past one day. I have a headache because of the scent.
Can you tell I hate it. Back to Walmart for a refund.

Shampoo from the same line. It's ok, but I bought it by mistake. Meant to buy the conditioner. It goes back too. I'm done with Ms. Carol. Onward...

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Been looking at this whole line, especially since you (it was you, right?) posted that video of the guy with the pretty hair who reviewed it. lol

*Or was it @I Am So Blessed who posted that video? I don’t know, but I enjoyed it!

Yes. I loved the video. :lachen:

I'm thinking about getting the sealing cream and DC from this line once my staple ones are empty.

I looooooove the smell. Aromatherapy. And my twist out was so shiny and defined with the glaze!

Attachments

• IMG_20180403_111306-1224x1632.jpg
    IMG_20180403_111306-1224x1632.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

silverlotus

Hit
CRN Almond Jai Twisting Butter - Soft, defined twistout. Sweet but light fragrance, a little like vanilla ice cream.

Continued hit: CRN Curl Maker - this is Bae. Curl definition, light fragrance that doesn’t suffocate me, and no flakes. I get a gummy residue occasionally but I’ll take that over the nasty gels I’ve tried. Also, hair stays soft and moisturized up to 3-4 days after applying.

Miss... so many misses!
NaturelleGrow Rose Clay Conditioner - detangled okay, but did not soften my hair at all. Felt rough after I rinsed. Hate the smell. It’s powdery, strong & synthetic, reminds me of those Christmas tree car air fresheners. Stayed in my hair and drove me crazy for 2 days! I didn’t care for any of her scents, tbh.

Mane Choice Biotin Gel - good hold and definition but snow flakes galore. Returned it to CVS. This is another one with an overly strong fragrance.

Curl Junkie Pattern Pusha - worst gel and possibly hair product I’ve ever tried in my life. Ridiculously watery, had to use a ton of product to coat each section, and even then, it was hard to tell what I covered from what I didn’t. Dried with a disgusting white coating on my hair (won’t go into specifics as far as what it resembled...). Hair was crunchy yet despite that, my hair was still frizzy. Was so disgusted, I cowashed it out the day it dried. Shipped it straight back to Naturally Curly.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Hit

Soultanicals Manestay Hen-tonite Clay treatment. The slip going on was fab. The clay absorbed immediately. Curl definition off the chain. Currently air drying. I rinsed and twisted my hair up with no product to see how my hair acts tomorrow. B

Miss

Said product above. No longer selling it on the website and the slightly floral scent.

Aggie

Hit
CRN Almond Jai Twisting Butter - Soft, defined twistout. Sweet but light fragrance, a little like vanilla ice cream.

Continued hit: CRN Curl Maker - this is Bae. Curl definition, light fragrance that doesn’t suffocate me, and no flakes. I get a gummy residue occasionally but I’ll take that over the nasty gels I’ve tried. Also, hair stays soft and moisturized up to 3-4 days after applying.

Miss... so many misses!
NaturelleGrow Rose Clay Conditioner - detangled okay, but did not soften my hair at all. Felt rough after I rinsed. Hate the smell. It’s powdery, strong & synthetic, reminds me of those Christmas tree car air fresheners. Stayed in my hair and drove me crazy for 2 days! I didn’t care for any of her scents, tbh.

Mane Choice Biotin Gel - good hold and definition but snow flakes galore. Returned it to CVS. This is another one with an overly strong fragrance.

Curl Junkie Pattern Pusha - worst gel and possibly hair product I’ve ever tried in my life. Ridiculously watery, had to use a ton of product to coat each section, and even then, it was hard to tell what I covered from what I didn’t. Dried with a disgusting white coating on my hair (won’t go into specifics as far as what it resembled...). Hair was crunchy yet despite that, my hair was still frizzy. Was so disgusted, I cowashed it out the day it dried. Shipped it straight back to Naturally Curly.
What type of hair do you have - low or high porosity? Your hair seems to absolutely hate almost everything! I'm normal to high-po and your hits are my misses and your misses are my hits. Hmmm, :scratchchin:, interesting!

silverlotus

What type of hair do you have - low or high porosity? Your hair seems to absolutely hate almost everything! I'm normal to high-po and your hits are my misses and your misses are my hits. Hmmm, :scratchchin:, interesting!

My porosity is normal-low, strands are fine. I get buildup easily and have trouble keeping my hair moist. I’m even rethinking that CRN Almond Butter. Next day hair was dry. I’m also extremely picky about gels. They need to have good hold yet not be flaky or contain protein. It’s like searching for a unicorn. :laugh:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
My porosity is normal-low, strands are fine. I get buildup easily and have trouble keeping my hair moist. I’m even rethinking that CRN Almond Butter. Next day hair was dry. I’m also extremely picky about gels. They need to have good hold yet not be flaky or contain protein. It’s like searching for a unicorn. :laugh:

Agreed!

I think MelissaQ on YouTube HIGHLY recommends the gel by Smooth Naturals. She's hipo.

ETA: Never mind! You wrote normal-low, and somehow I made it be "high." :nono: :smile:

Last edited:

nerdography

Hits
Curls Blueberry and Coconut Hair Milk - I normally don't do hair milks, because they're to liquidy and never moisturize my hair. But, this hair milk is thick. creamy, and absorbs right into my hair and doesn't leave a white cast. And it smells amazing.

Maui Moisture Curl Smoothie - I got this to replace my Cantu leave in. I love it, it absorbs right into my hair with no white cast and mixes well with the Curls hair milk. And I have no flaking when it's dried.

Camille Rose Naturals Curl Maker - Smells good, holds my curls with out making them crunchy. And makes for a good refresher when layered on top of slightly dampened hair.

Okay
Design Essentials Almond and Avocado Moisturizing and Detangling Shampoo - It's okay. It cleaned my hair without stripping it, my scalp feels nice and clean, it smells good, and lathers really well to be sulfate free. But, it didn't detangle my hair all, but it didn't make it tangle anymore than it already was. I liked it well enough to continue using it and will probably buy it again when I'm done.

Miss
Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo - It dried my hair out and it doesn't smell all that good.

Last edited:

Aggie

Now I understand. I wish you the best finding your unicorn...I mean the products that's perfect for your hair :grin:.

silverlotus

Agreed!

I think MelissaQ on YouTube HIGHLY recommends the gel by Smooth Naturals. She's hipo.

ETA: Never mind! You wrote normal-low, and somehow I made it be "high." :nono: :smile:

What’s the name of the gel? I don’t see it on the Smooth Naturals site. I’d like to see the ingredients anyway.

silverlotus

Hits
Curls Blueberry and Coconut Hair Milk - I normally don't do hair milks, because they're to liquidy and never moisturize my hair. But, this hair milk is thick. creamy, and absorbs right into my hair and doesn't leave a white cast. And it smells amazing.

Maui Moisture Curl Smoothie - I got this to replace my Cantu leave in. I love it, it absorbs right into my hair with no white cast and mixes well with the Curls hair milk. And I have no flaking when it's dried.

I like how light the Maui Moisture Smoothie is too. The only thing is that it doesn’t mix well with Curl Maker. I believe I got flakes when I tried that.

silverlotus

It's called Hair Perfection.

She discusses it here. My apologizes, though: It may or may not work well on normpo/lowpo hair.

Yea. It seems too watery to work in my hair :nono:. PowerInYourCurl is fine, lowpo and her hair reacts to products similarly to mine. Curl Maker is her HG gel, and she hates Mane Choice Biotin for the same reasons I do.

Last edited:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Yea. It seems too watery to work in my hair :nono:. PowerInYourCurl is fine, lowpo and her hair reacts to products similarly to mine. Curl Maker is her HG gel, and she hates Mane Choice Biotin for the same reasons I do.

Interesting. I agree with you and her about both Curl Maker and The Mane Choice Biotin.

I'm feeling so not alone!!! :smile:

Have you tried Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic? My old hair dresser gave me the wash and go OF LIFE with that gel.

silverlotus

Interesting. I agree with you and her about both Curl Maker and The Mane Choice Biotin.

Have you tried Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic? My old hair dresser gave me the wash and go OF LIFE with that gel.

No, but I’ve read good reviews about that one. I saw it at the drug store recently. Maybe I should try it? My Curl Maker is out.

silverlotus

Ok so I found a comparison vid of Curl Maker vs Curl Magic. I could tell which side was Curl Maker even before she did the reveal. :laugh:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
No, but I’ve read good reviews about that one. I saw it at the drug store recently. Maybe I should try it? My Curl Maker is out.

I have both and prefer Curl Maker. I have never used up UFD Curly Magic. I have repurchased Curl Maker and even gifted it. I just don't get any hold with Curl Maker. If I did, I would never use another gel. I don't know HOW my stylist got that amazing wng with UFD CM. I tried and tried to replicate it but could not.

Are you happy with Curl Maker? What would you change about it?

I think we have to move our gel discussion out of this thread and to the Random Hair Thoughts thread or somewhere: People get upset quickly about off-topic posts. Just FYI! (I don't mind the discussion but just don't want to upset people.) Tag me wherever you want to talk about it further, should you want! :kiss:

Last edited:

LushLox

Hit
Hairfinity Strengthening Amino Masque
Ridiculously expensive, but it's a very good mask. It doesn't feel like a protein at all but my hair does feel stronger when I use it but the softness is wow! I'll continue to buy this as long as they sell it. It's so good I might have to look at some of their other products.

Re-discovered hit
Keracare Overnight Treatment
I forgot about this little beauty. I put some in my hair last night and it's like it breathed a sigh of relief; my hair feels very nice today. I have to remember to use this more regularly as my hair looked kinda good when I used it consistently.