April Styles Challenge 2017

Alma Petra

Aw, thanks, sis! It's not looking too good. :lol: But I just think I need to practice with it and make a few changes. For one, I need to clamp the crimper curlers at the ends of my hair instead of at the roots. Second, it was impossible to get my hooded dryer over them: So in the future I need to apply this early in the morning on damp and not wet hair. Or invest in a standing dryer.

Please do join! This really IS fun. Trying the crimper curlers has me wanting to try my deep wave curlformers! I'm finally getting use out of all the stuff I paid for that otherwise would just be sitting around. :smile:
Practice makes perfect! You will nail the style eventually.. Btw what sort of a drier do you have currently? The damp vs wet trick is essential if one doesn't want to wait for over 24 hours to take the curlers off. It saved my life with the bantu knot outs that I used to do (and stopped because I feared that they were too harsh on my edges.) I have a bonnet attachment for my hand held drier and I would apply my leave in and seal then go under it until my hair is barely damp before I would apply gel and do the bantu knots.

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
Well I have gotten as far as washing today. Before I got out of shower I put in two old fashioned French braids. When I was a kid I used to wear my hair like this all the time. I will be rolling at some point today. Looking at these braids has me thinking I could possibly where them out if I perfected them. IMG_4737.JPG

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Looking nice, ladies! :smile:

I got really sleepy and had to take the crimper curlers out so I could sleep. I only have one of those portable, soft bonnet hooded dryers, and my head did not fit in it with all those crimper curlers. So my hair was still damp, and my hair shrunk overnight as it dried. NOTE: I did spend 20 minutes under the dryer after removing the curlers, to try to set the curls/crimps.

I feel like my hair looks similar to what it usually looks like with a regular wash-and-go, except maybe it's a little bit more elongated. Hubby says he feels my curl pattern took over the crimping. He could only see crimps from an aerial view.

I will probably practice a few more times with the crimper curlers. I'm now inspired to try my deep wave curl formers! It was just my first attempt with the crimper curlers, and I would need to really practice with these and let my hair dry fully to really know what these curlers do for my hair.

View media item 129153
View media item 129151
View media item 129149

Last edited:

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
So set didn't work out to well. So I put it in bun. Buns are able to cover a multitude of failed hair experiments. I think this failed because I allowed my hair to dry prior installing braids and flexirods. I did it on dry hair thinking this would be better for drying. My hair was dry this morning however my hair didn't set. It came with a lot of frizz. 49E682AC-3995-49D2-90C4-E05AEC04950A.jpgIMG_4744.JPGIMG_4749.JPG

YvetteWithJoy

On break
So set didn't work out to well. So I put it in bun. Buns are able to cover a multitude of failed hair experiments. I think this failed because I allowed my hair to dry prior installing braids and flexirods. I did it on dry hair thinking this would be better for drying. My hair was dry this morning however my hair didn't set. It came with a lot of frizz. View attachment 394229View attachment 394231View attachment 394233

Lovely bun! Good effort!

I love our hair! @Prettymetty, thanks for this challenge! Great idea! This is fun.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
So set didn't work out to well. So I put it in bun. Buns are able to cover a multitude of failed hair experiments. I think this failed because I allowed my hair to dry prior installing braids and flexirods. I did it on dry hair thinking this would be better for drying. My hair was dry this morning however my hair didn't set. It came with a lot of frizz. View attachment 394229View attachment 394231View attachment 394233

@Coilystep, what do you think you could/should have done differently to try to make your flexirod set come out better?

That foam/mousse I just used to set my hair had my hair so dry. I couldn't take it, so I decided to DC and do my hair. I took a vote at home on whether I should try the deep wave curl formers next or the flexirods. Family went with flexirods. So I just installed 8 on each side of my head.

Some of my flexirods are wrapped in hair that is very smooth, and some is wrapped in hair that is CLEARLY 4a and not very smooth (still looking coily on the rod). :lol: I think I might know what I did differently to get the smoothness. I'm still going to ride this attempt out and wear it out tomorrow to DS#2's school. Pray for me! :lol:

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
At this point I don't know possibly used perm rods instead and made braids tighter. I didn't have good definition and it was very frizzy. I think I'm going to try curlformers next week.
Hopefully yours comes out better than mine.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
At this point I don't know possibly used perm rods instead and made braids tighter. I didn't have good definition and it was very frizzy. I think I'm going to try curlformers next week.
Hopefully yours comes out better than mine.

Thanks. What products did you use with yours? (I used Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Smoothing Lotion (leave-in) under Camille Rose Naturals Coconut Water Style Setter. The latter is really the only "setting" type product I have that is not a gel.)

ETA: It came out decent, @Coilystep! There's a photo here: https://longhaircareforum.com/threa...llenge-2017-2018.801937/page-29#post-23806451

Last edited:

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
Thanks. What products did you use with yours? (I used Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Smoothing Lotion (leave-in) under Camille Rose Naturals Coconut Water Style Setter. The latter is really the only "setting" type product I have that is not a gel.)

ETA: It came out decent, @Coilystep! There's a photo here: https://longhaircareforum.com/threa...llenge-2017-2018.801937/page-29#post-23806451
That came out cute. When I tried on Sunday I just used Camille Rose almond jai butter.

nyeredzi

Oh, this is a fun challenge! I used to really like doing different hair styles but fell all the way off. I will try. This upcoming week I will do chunky twists on blow dried hair like efficiently natural. They'll probably end up in some kind of updo
There's also a style I've been thinking of trying for the longest, with a couple of cornrows with flat beads against the scalp and the rest loose blow dried hair. I just have to muster the energy, especially since I'm terrible at cornrowing.

Actually, thanks to efficiently natural, I have a style I haven't done in ages. Medium twists that I moisturized and put into 4 Bantu knots, so now my twists are curly.

Last edited:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Camille rose is definitely one of my favorite brands. It always leaves my hair looking and feeling good.

I definitely slept on this brand.

I want to try a twist out with the almond jai butter, based on a Youtuber's demo who has hair like mine.

How do you use the almond jai butter?

The Curl Maker gel and the coconut water line? Top notch for my hair.

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
I definitely slept on this brand.

I want to try a twist out with the almond jai butter, based on a Youtuber's demo who has hair like mine.

How do you use the almond jai butter?

The Curl Maker gel and the coconut water line? Top notch for my hair.
I used the almond jai butter for a failed twisted out and a failed braid and curl. The fails were definitely user error on my part. I just can't seem to make them work.
I've use the coconut leave in with the curl maker before and it worked well. They had a honey conditioner at the natural hair show that I hated but everything else ive tried of theirs has been great.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I am glad I decided to begin practicing for next week's style. I just installed 2 deep wave curlformers and lost hair. Watching videos and reading LHCF curlformer tips now.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I did a practice run with the deep wave curlformers (the only type I own as of today) on two small sections at the front of my head.

Meh.

I don't think I want to do my whole head (all that effort) for such a short-lived outcome. Pictures and details are here: https://longhaircareforum.com/threads/deep-wave-curlformers-hmmmm.785891/page-4#post-23816051.

I did have the thought that if I set my whole head and then used very strong-holding hair spray on each wave after removal of the curlformers, it might work.

My submission to this challenge for next week will likely be the curlformer flexirod set I practiced, then.

Last edited:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I'm going out for a friend's bday and I have no idea what to do with my hair. This is why I wear wigs all the time.

My hair is pin straight from yesterday's bkt. It probably won't hold a curl...and I'm sick of buns (I wear them to work daily).

Alma Petra

I'm going out for a friend's bday and I have no idea what to do with my hair. This is why I wear wigs all the time.

My hair is pin straight from yesterday's bkt. It probably won't hold a curl...and I'm sick of buns (I wear them to work daily).

How many hours have you got? Why not do a set with gel for hold?

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
How many hours have you got? Why not do a set with gel for hold?
I am leaving home in about an hour. I watched this video and she does some really cute styles on straight hair.
I'm thinking about the braided top knot. If I do that one it has to last all week

Alma Petra

I am leaving home in about an hour. I watched this video and she does some really cute styles on straight hair.
I'm thinking about the braided top knot. If I do that one it has to last all week

She is so lovely, make-up is on point, and I'm also loving her hair color!

At what time in the video does she do this top knot?

Alma Petra

Not sure, because I didn't finish the video. It's the 11th style though
I tried this one, but I didn't like the backView attachment 394911
Why didn't you like the back? It looks nice from the front!

Her 11th style is what she calls the slinky bun but it doesn't involve braiding. It looks very cute though. You definitely could go for it.

I am tempted to try some of these on curly hair and see what I can get, but I'll have to figure out how to hide my non-existent edges if I do...