April Styles Challenge 2017

Alma Petra

So I have been trialing new products and have been too lazy to style my hair in any creative way. But since I promised to participate last week and I didn't, I'm going to participate this week with a regular wash and go.

Keep the beautiful stuff coming, ladies!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
So I have been trialing new products and have been too lazy to style my hair in any creative way. But since I promised to participate last week and I didn't, I'm going to participate this week with a regular wash and go.

Keep the beautiful stuff coming, ladies!

Wow! So pretty!

I'm out if I have to compete with this submission this week. J/K! But you settin' the bar high, ma'am!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I tried a chunky twist out this weekend. It didn't dry completely despite my sitting under the dryer for 2+ hours and attempting further to let it air dry overnight. So it kind of became a 'fro out!

Pics are here: https://longhaircareforum.com/media/albums/practice-chunky-twist-out.10519/

Method: CRN coconut water penetrating hair treatment, CRN "Style Setter," CRN Curl Maker, section brushed through with Wet Brush to distribute product, 8 twists installed. Sat under HairFlair dryer for 2+ hours. Donned bonnet and tried to air dry overnight.

This challenge has helped me realize that I like the flexirod set look better than even an elongated wash-and-go. I know I keep thanking you, @Prettymetty, but thanks again for this challenge: It has really helped me a lot. I had rollers and such just sitting for months if not years. I finally got to them because of this challenge, and this flexirod set thing could actually really contribute to the health of my hair (by helping me keep my hair stretched!).

So, I think for this week I'll submit a flexirod set, and for next week I don't know: Maybe I'll try an African thread out (second attempt to see if smaller sections looks better???)? :scratchchin:

Alma Petra

Wow! So pretty!

I'm out if I have to compete with this submission this week. J/K! But you settin' the bar high, ma'am!

Lol thank you darling :love3: That was so sweet of you to say!

I am waiting to see the flexi rod set that you are going to submit for this week. I'm sure it's going to look great!

I tried a chunky twist out this weekend. It didn't dry completely despite my sitting under the dryer for 2+ hours and attempting further to let it air dry overnight. So it kind of became a 'fro out!

Pics are here: https://longhaircareforum.com/media/albums/practice-chunky-twist-out.10519/

Method: CRN coconut water penetrating hair treatment, CRN "Style Setter," CRN Curl Maker, section brushed through with Wet Brush to distribute product, 8 twists installed. Sat under HairFlair dryer for 2+ hours. Donned bonnet and tried to air dry overnight.

This challenge has helped me realize that I like the flexirod set look better than even an elongated wash-and-go. I know I keep thanking you, @Prettymetty, but thanks again for this challenge: It has really helped me a lot. I had rollers and such just sitting for months if not years. I finally got to them because of this challenge, and this flexirod set thing could actually really contribute to the health of my hair (by helping me keep my hair stretched!).

So, I think for this week I'll submit a flexirod set, and for next week I don't know: Maybe I'll try an African thread out (second attempt to see if smaller sections looks better???)? :scratchchin:

So I have had a look at your album. The twist outs are actually looking good. I think that this style probably has a lot of potential for you, if you manage to get the twists to dry completely before you take them down specially if you stretch your hair before installation. Is your hair low porosity? I am high porosity but when I layer a lot of products my hair takes much longer to dry. So when I'm going to do a set whereby the hair will be coiled on itself with little surface area available for evaporation and drying, I start with damp hair rather than wet hair. So, after I layer all my products except the gel, I put my hair sectioned but loose/untwisted under the bonnet attachment until it's almost dry (very mildly damp but not completely dry). This takes about half an hour. Then I proceed to apply gel to every section and style. The gel will redampen the hair but not make it soaking wet like it was at the beginning, so the drying time for the twists is greatly reduced. I keep my hair under the drier until it's bed time then go to bed. In the morning the hair is usually completely dry and ready for take down. If I style on soaking wet hair, it will probably take 48 hours for my twisted hair to fully dry. In fact twists seem to take less time but I was mainly doing bantu knot outs which are very notorious for being still wet at take down, hence my adoption of this new technique.

Here is my submission for this week. I did a wash n go this morning with Camille Rose curl love and curl maker. I got my hair dyed this weekend to cover my greys. I also had a blowout that I didn't know what to do with it so that's why I washed it this morning. View attachment 395229

Your wash and gos are always on point, very lovely :love:

YvetteWithJoy

On break

I am waiting to see the flexi rod set that you are going to submit for this week. I'm sure it's going to look great!

So I have had a look at your album. The twist outs are actually looking good. I think that this style probably has a lot of potential for you, if you manage to get the twists to dry completely before you take them down specially if you stretch your hair before installation. Is your hair low porosity? I am high porosity but when I layer a lot of products my hair takes much longer to dry. So when I'm going to do a set whereby the hair will be coiled on itself with little surface area available for evaporation and drying, I start with damp hair rather than wet hair. So, after I layer all my products except the gel, I put my hair sectioned but loose/untwisted under the bonnet attachment until it's almost dry (very mildly damp but not completely dry). This takes about half an hour. Then I proceed to apply gel to every section and style. The gel will redampen the hair but not make it soaking wet like it was at the beginning, so the drying time for the twists is greatly reduced. I keep my hair under the drier until it's bed time then go to bed. In the morning the hair is usually completely dry and ready for take down. If I style on soaking wet hair, it will probably take 48 hours for my twisted hair to fully dry. In fact twists seem to take less time but I was mainly doing bantu knot outs which are very notorious for being still wet at take down, hence my adoption of this new technique.

Thanks! I will practice your tips.

I am hipo, but right now a relatively recent Komaza protein treatment has my hair acting like normally porous hair. It has NEVER taken my hair this long to dry!!! Goodness!

The density of my hair drives me crazy!!! Sometimes I just want my hair to sit down for a second!!! :lachen:

Alma Petra

Thanks! I will practice your tips.

I am hipo, but right now a relatively recent Komaza protein treatment has my hair acting like normally porous hair. It has NEVER taken my hair this long to dry!!! Goodness!

The density of my hair drives me crazy!!! Sometimes I just want my hair to sit down for a second!!! :lachen:

Please let me know if they work for you!

You make me want to try this komaza protein treatment even more and more. I would love to become normal po.

And I could happily take off some of your density until you are ready to have it back lol. Many many times my hair loss problems make me feel that it's pointless to take any extra care of my hair or participate in hair care forums. Like why do fancy stuff to it if I'm going to lose it all soon anyway? Then I think that I better enjoy it now before it's all gone :grin: But really what I would do for more (or just constant) density! Even if it all becomes a tangled up mess, I don't care lol.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Please let me know if they work for you!

You make me want to try this komaza protein treatment even more and more. I would love to become normal po.

And I could happily take off some of your density until you are ready to have it back lol. Many many times my hair loss problems make me feel that it's pointless to take any extra care of my hair or participate in hair care forums. Like why do fancy stuff to it if I'm going to lose it all soon anyway? Then I think that I better enjoy it now before it's all gone :grin: But really what I would do for more (or just constant) density! Even if it all becomes a tangled up mess, I don't care lol.

You should try that Komaza. Don't take my word for it, though: Search the forum. It completely transformed my hair. I was weeks away from re-relaxing (due to frustration) when I decided to give the Komaza a try.

And regarding the tangling: SO YOU SAY NOW! :lol:

I will keep you updated! Your tips will be the actions that create this week's submission, so you'll be able to see the results. :smile:

Miss617

Always left of center
I definitely styled my hair last week but forgot to post. Darn.

Anyway, since I'm only going into the office once this week, I'll be wearing a twistout from last week's flat twists. It's not as defined as when I do two strand twists, but I still like it.

Attachments

• 20170417_153031-1.jpg
    20170417_153031-1.jpg
    748.4 KB · Views: 35

Alma Petra

So when is the last day for submissions and voting? Is it Sunday? And what time? Because I wouldn't want to vote before seeing all the styles submitted for the week...

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
This week's votes are tallied at midnight 4/21 (Friday). The winner will be announced the next day. Happy styling!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I'm going to go ahead and submit today's hair style because I doubt I will get to tomorrow's flexirod set on tomorrow.

This is a wash and go with two new-to-me aspects: (1) use Naptursl85's current method of banding and (2) use of DE natural honey mousse/foam instead of gel.

I need to do a little blending, and I did get some frizz, but it was fun to try!

(Photos enlarge upon click.)
WP_20170420_029.jpg WP_20170420_034.jpg

Last edited:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
@Prettymetty, I need you to host another month! :lol: I'm still trying things out and making improvements and learning. I'll fund May if you host! If interested, let me know what you need and how to get it to you!
I was going to go back to wigs for most of May. I exercise daily and it's hard maintaining a style, especially straight...

If I do host another my styles will have to be on the lace wig lol.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
:lachen: Makes sense!
Girl my bday is in June and I'm trying to get fine! :bdance:

I am really liking coconut oil for everything: hair, skin, face and nails. I want to do a mini challenge based around coconut oil. Maybe May or June. It improved my hair in just 1 week. I bet the 30 day challenge would work wonders.

Are any of you ladies fans of coconut oil?

YvetteWithJoy

On break

I am really liking coconut oil for everything: hair, skin, face and nails. I want to do a mini challenge based around coconut oil. Maybe May or June. It improved my hair in just 1 week. I bet the 30 day challenge would work wonders.

I am in love with the coconut! I love to eat fresh coconut, I cook with coconut oil as much as possible, I moisturize my skin with coconut oil, I do my henna treatments with coconut milk, and my favorite products are coconut water based.

Regarding coconut oil for hair: When I first went natural and had my TWA, I went online and they said to use coconut oil. I had NO IDEA what I was doing, so I just had my mom rubbing it into my scalp SOLID. :lol: It melted in, but I couldn't tell what it was really doing for me. I soon after discovered that the As I Am Coconut Cowash did my TWA amazing, so I never revisited plain coconut oil except to create a DIY oil prepoo mixture.

GGsKin

Hey, I'm a June baby too, pretty. I'm minimalist when it comes to products I use, but I have used coconut oil in an occasional prepoo. I finally finished a jar and I plan to repurchase but not anytime soon.

YvetteWithJoy

On break

NOT A CHALLENGE ENTRY

@Alma Petra, I tried your tips. Here are the results. Thanks for the help!

April222017CRNCurlMakerTwistOut - Med.png

Last edited:

Alma Petra

NOT A CHALLENGE ENTRY

@Alma Petra, I tried your tips. Here are the results. Thanks for the help!

View attachment 396087

OMG This is one of the loveliest, springiest and most defined twist outs I have ever seen :love::love: :drool::drool:
I told you I can see a lot of potential in your twist outs! Have you shared the details of what you did, step by step, products and all, in any other place?

And you're looking great in that top :infatuated:

@Prettymetty I most definitely want to vote for this entry. Or maybe we should vote for it in next week's competition.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
This came out great. You and your hair are killing it here.

OMG This is one of the loveliest, springiest and most defined twist outs I have ever seen :love::love: :drool::drool:
I told you I can see a lot of potential in your twist outs! Have you shared the details of what you did, step by step, products and all, in any other place?

And you're looking great in that top :infatuated:

@Prettymetty I most definitely want to vote for this entry. Or maybe we should vote for it in next week's competition.

You BOTH are so kind! Lol. Thank you.

It can definitely be next week's entry, if that's okay. Works for me!

Method

ASIDE: ETA . . . The next time, I will apply Camille Rose Naturals "Style Setter" beneath the Curl Maker -- to try to increase the life of the twist out.

Section hair into 8 ponytails (for now leave ponytail hair out, untwisted and un-bantu-knotted).

Cleanse with Sheaterra Mud-Poo: Coat like a paste and leave in for 10 minutes. Rinse out.

DC with APB Ultra Conditioning Soufflé: Hair is still in 8 ponytails after rinsing out the mud. Squeeze excess water out of all 8 ponytails. Section by section: Apply DC via praying hands method. Detangle with wide tooth comb and loosely twist up each ponytail into one twist. Pin twists up on top of head. DC under dryer for 50 minutes or so (less is probably fine).

In shower, with cool water rinse DC from each untwisted ponytail one at a time, removing shed hair. Do showerly duties, allowing hair to dry some.

Apply Camille Rose Naturals Curl Maker and install two strand twists section by section: Feel the section and decided whether to install two or three twists into the section. Apply Curl Maker to the to-be-twisted-up-at-the-moment, smaller amount of hair . . . enough so that this smaller section of hair feels slimly from root to tip. Twist this smaller section, smoothing thumb and index finger down the strands while twisting. REMOVE EXCESS GEL FROM OUTSIDE OF EACH TWIST BY SQUEEZING HAND AROUND TWIST AND GENTLY PULLING HAND DOWN TWIST TO THE TWIST'S END. Repeat until all twists are installed.

Weigh twists down by clipping a clip at the bottom. Can clip 2-3 twists together with one clip at the bottom. Sit under dryer as long as desired. Pin twists around head to elongate and stretch them. Wrap head and sleep to allow air drying as needed.

(photo showing size of twists and clips at ends to weigh down hair a bit during drying; photo enlarges upon click)

WP_20170421_045.jpg

The next day, apply oil to each twist. Oil hands. Untwist each twist, separating them where they naturally desire to separate. Pull hair to shape it, but carefully to avoid frizzing hair. Use pick at roots to fluff hair and add volume. As needed on various sections, hold ends and use pick near bottom of hair or middle of hair to help with shaping. All done!

Last edited: