Are all protective styles equally effective?

Nigeriangurl

I know that most people seem to do buns as their main protective styles, and many are doing braidouts, twistouts, etc. And I understand that a style is protective because it keeps the hair up and off your shoulders/not rubbing against your clothes. But is a braidout or bantu knot set as effective as a bun?

Buns seem to be a better choice because your hair ends are hidden from the air, so if you were to do a ponytail and then on the last loop not pull your hair all the way through would this be as effective as doing a bun? I'm just trying to find the best and most effective protective styles but my head shape does not agree with the bun :lol: .

Any help would be great! :)

Isis

It's all about what style has less manipulation and keeps the hair moisturized. Some people get breakage when wearing buns and do better in other protective styles. Some find buns work very well and prefer them all the time.

I love the versatility of wearing a bun, braided updos, braidouts, French twists, ponytails (that's all I know for now:lol: ) and will vary these styles. Rollersets can be considered protective also.

Nigeriangurl

Thanx Isis!
So it pretty much sounds like whatever protective style provides the least manipulation for the individual person is the way to go. Sounds good!

Sweet_Ambrosia

Isis said:
It's all about what style has less manipulation and keeps the hair moisturized.

IA. :yep:
Buns, Braid outs, Twist outs, Bantu Knots/Bantu Sets are some of my favorite protective styles. :)

Nigeriangurl

Thanx for the input ladies :)
But manipulation aside, what about the ends of your hair becoming dried out from being exposed to the air? I've read somewhere that this is why buns are preferable, because the ends are tucked away and hidden from the air. Do you think exposure to the air is an important factor, or is the amount of manipulation the crucial thing?

Thanx:)

sweetascocoa

since i relaxed my hair and have been bunning 24/7, my ends are staying moisturised. without bunning, they are another story :/

HoneyDew

I don't like buns, personally. So I just put my hair up loosely with a claw clip.

If i don't, my hands are in my hair, I comb more and my hair gets snagged on my shirt, shoulder bag, etc.

Plus, the loose up do with the claw clip is very easy to do in the morning and take down at night.

asubeauty

I wore buns all summer last summer and had breakage from the ponytail everyday. And that was when I switched the position of the bun, moisterized my ends, and used a satin scrunchie and some knock off Good Days hairpins!!

I prefer twistouts, but since I can't do them myself, I have to settle for rollersets.

victorious

Relaxed/4A/Fine/Thin/APL
Nigeriangurl said:
I know that most people seem to do buns as their main protective styles, and many are doing braidouts, twistouts, etc. And I understand that a style is protective because it keeps the hair up and off your shoulders/not rubbing against your clothes. But is a braidout or bantu knot set as effective as a bun?

Buns seem to be a better choice because your hair ends are hidden from the air, so if you were to do a ponytail and then on the last loop not pull your hair all the way through would this be as effective as doing a bun? I'm just trying to find the best and most effective protective styles but my head shape does not agree with the bun :lol: .

Any help would be great! :)

Yes, that's a protective style too since your ends won't rub on your clothes and your ends would be off your shoulders. That really quick to do.

Last edited:

Nigeriangurl

Thanx ladies!
I think I'm just gonna stick with whatever keeps my hair off my shoulders and not worry about bunning so much. Twistouts it is! :)