Are all proteins created equal?

InBloom

In my new-growth
I was wondering about the different types of protein and ran across Urban Bush Babe and her blog. There is an entry that seems to break down the different kinds of protein. I don't know if she's a LHCFer or not...but if so THANK YOU URBAN BUSH BABE!!!

Before learning about haircare, I was clueless about the differences between a moisturizing conditioner and a protein conditioner. I think I gave myself repeated protein overloads for years.

Anyway, I found this article useful and thought to share.

It's fascinating to see that some of my favorite protein conditioners are ones with Keratin protein....

:lick:

"What does hydrolyzed mean?
It means that a chemical compound is split into smaller units. So if you see the word “hydrolyzed” in front of any of the protein names, it just means that protein has been broken down into smaller units.
Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein: Water soluble protein derived from wheat, it penetrates the cortex of each strand. It strengthens and moisturizes hair, increases it’s ability to receive and maintain moisture.
Hydrolyzed Silk Protein: Derived from one of the strongest natural fibers in the world. Forms a cystalline protective barrier on strands. Improves hair’s elasticity, resiliency, increases shine (silk is known for it’s ability to hold 10,000 times it’s weight in water.).
GlycoProtein: Derived from oyster shells, contains sugar and amino acids that help strengthen and smooth hair.
Milk Protein (Lactabumin): Derived from milk, high in lactic acid containing 8 essential amino acids. Has been labeled the most perfect protein. Great for dry or damaged hair.
Hydrolyzed Soy Protein: Water soluble protein derived from soy. Strengthens and mends hair fiber. Increases the ability for hair to hold moisture. Adds shine and smoothes hair.
Collagen Protein: Increases elasticity in hair.
Vegetable Protein: Hydrates hair. Great for porous or damaged hair and split ends. Absorbs more easily into hair shaft than animal protein. Leaves no build up.
Animal Protein: Breaks down into fatty acids and coats the hair. Leaves build up on the hair.
Keratin Protein: Every ones hair is made up of keratin protein. This is the strongest of the hair product proteins. When used in product form, it strengthens the hair shaft preventing breakage. Smoothes the hairs cuticle reducing frizz and making it softer and shinier."