Are Coach or Dooney & Burke worth the price?

Discussion in 'Fashion' started by Lady S, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Lady S

Lady S Well-Known Member

Okay, I'm rough on my purses. My current purse is just about destroyed (I love that purse) and I ended up wearing down the exterior of my past two purses. So, my friend suggested I stop being such a cheapo and invest in a more durable purse (I don't think I've paid more then $35 on a purse).

I've been looking at different purses on the web. A lot of the purses I like or either Coach or Dooney & Burke. But how durable are they? Are they worth the price or are they overrated.

Any other suggestions for purses that will last?

2. TamedTresses

TamedTresses Well-Known Member

I like Dooney and Bourke more than I do Coach. I think they are both well made, but Dooney and Bourke is more durable IMO. I think they are worth the price, but I think ALL of my purses are... I can justify just about any purchase I make. :lol:

I have some DB and Coach purses I've had for 10 years and they are still in good condition. Michael Kors and Cole Hann purses are durable too. :yep:

3. Ivonnovi

Ivonnovi Well-Known Member

I'm liking the Miche bags right now. I can't speak for their durability because I'm new to the line, but they are versatile, and you can change the exterior features as often as you like

My only suggetion regarding the more popular brands is that IF you're going to spend more than $100 for a purse then make sure it's way more (real) leather than man-made material. ....Now I do have a few Coach bags and I gotta admit that I cringed when they charged me a'damn $150 for a "canvas" clutch....Naw'Son not again!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  4. Livingmylifetothefullest

Livingmylifetothefullest Well-Known Member

5. Lady S

Lady S Well-Known Member

Was it at least durable canvas? :lol:

6. TamedTresses

OP, do you mind sharing some pics/links of the bag you are interested in purchasing. I never get tired of looking at handbags. :drunk:

7. Livingmylifetothefullest

Livingmylifetothefullest Well-Known Member

Oh, one of my supervisors is a huge DB fan and those are the only purses she carries.

8. Ivonnovi

Ivonnovi Well-Known Member

Yes, parts of the bag proved "durable". However the pretty metallic flakes :blush: are pretty much gone 2.5 yrs later.

9. arosieworld

arosieworld Thanks 4 our nail *****!

I Loooooovvvvvve my DB's but I don't do coach so I can't vote on that but I have had my DB wristlet longer than I have had my LV wristlet and used it more and it looks better.....they wear well and I am tough on things..... I had one repaired and it went beautifully, it broke because I I got it catch in a door.........I also love the lining........

10. Lady S

Lady S Well-Known Member

Linkage! Here are a few.

COACH KRISTIN LEATHER HOBO | Nordstrom.com

Dooney & Bourke: Croco Satchel

Dooney & Bourke: Croco Collins

I really, really, really love croc print. I like embossed leather. And I like colors that aren't neutrals. My current bag is dark teal and croc print. The problem I have w/ Coach is all the logos. The purses that I like are the ones that are covered in the Coach print. :perplexed

11. MzPrince

MzPrince Well-Known Member

I think they are both well made bags I have both but I choose Coach over Dooney because if you get an authentic bags and if anything happens to it Coach will repair it and if they can't fix it they will replace it as long it. I love this about that company.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  12. VelvetRain

VelvetRain Well-Known Member

My vote is coach any and all day. I swear the collections just keep getting better and better. I mainly collect leather limited edition and rare coach bags that don't scream the words coach written all over them( no offense to those that like signature) I still have and use the first bag I ever bought in 1996. The leather is still beautiful and has retained it lustre even though I moisturize it periodically. I am into maintaining my collection so that is partly why most of what I have still looks pretty new. You can't beat their wonderful customer service and warranty. I remember last year a turnlock on one of my legacy bags from the 06/07 collection broke off. Coach replaced the turnlock with a brand new one. All I paid was $20 for the shipping and handling.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  13. firecracker

firecracker Well-Known Member

Both of them make durable bags. There are many good choices for bags outside of those two companies though.

14. TamedTresses

15. sweetlaughter

sweetlaughter Well-Known Member

Leather bags from coach and high end designers are backed by a lifetime guarantee for wear no questions asked.

Sent from my DROID2 using Long Hair Care Forum App

16. ~~HoneyComb~~

~~HoneyComb~~ Well-Known Member

I have both Coach and D&B bags and I love them ( Brahmin are good bags too) , very duable and worth every penny. I had them for years and I alternate my bags so that they don't get a lot of wear and tear and I put them in the bag that they come with so that they are preserved in between use.

I use to be a cheap handbag girl, but like you, I was hard on bags or else it was because they were cheap and I'd have to buy another because it would start wearing within a year.

I finally took the plunge and invested in better quality bags and I'm happy.

They all come with a warrantee and a # so that you can register them.

I've had my bags for several years and they look great.

17. Lady S

Lady S Well-Known Member

Girl, don't you dare hold out on me, brand names, style names, links. . .? Help a sista out. :lol:

18. bgsix

bgsix Well-Known Member

I have both brands, don't have a preference. Quality bags-you can't go wrong with either. I own cheap $20 bags & $300 dollar bags(mainly gifted to me). I rotate my bags weekly.

19. cinnespice

cinnespice My hair is back

I have some coach bags and wristlets and they are really durable. You get what you pay for. I also like the outlets thats where my last bag and wristlet came from. Let's just say im glad i was next to broke on my last day in miami or i would have a couple of bags more than i should have.

20. Lovelylocs

Lovelylocs New Member

Gussto Bags are durable and soft.

21. CarolinaGal

CarolinaGal New Member

I prefer Dooney over Coach for durability and style. I think Coach quality and styling is suffering now. I tend to be very conservative when it comes to bags. My absolute favorite is Brahmin. A couple of my Brahmins, one of which was an everyday winter bag for a few years, are 5/6 years old and still look great. Most of their bags have feet which is a detail the both Dooney and Coach skimp on.

22. arosieworld

arosieworld Thanks 4 our nail *****!

Dooney will do the same thing..

23. Loves Harmony

Loves Harmony Well-Known Member

I love both brands...
    Sent from my SCH-I500 using Long Hair Care Forum App

24. Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll New Member

Those bags NEVA die. You just have to get sick of 'em. You can't say, 'oh, well, I'll buy a new bag because this one is all cruddy and worn...." Uh no. They will always look BRAND SPANKING NEW.

Now I do have an assortment of bags - that's my thing - and I switch my bags up quite a bit, I must say, but I bang 'em around pretty good. But those bags (Coach and Dooney, Brahmin, too) take a lickin' and keep on tickin...same thing with Gucci and LV, but for less $$,$$$.

25. drappedup

drappedup New Member

I love Coach! I have had a coach purse since 1999 and it is still in tip top shape! All of my other Coach bags are all in fantastic shape too. I just love the classy designs (excluding their collections with loud coloring/lettering/etc.) and the pricing isn't TOO outrageous for me. Purses/handbags are one fashion item I am more willing to splurge on, and so I love me some Coach. I do kind of hate how everybody and their mama seems to have a Coach bag, though, not gonna lie, lol.

26. Lady S

Lady S Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  27. Chrissy811

Chrissy811 Well-Known Member

A lot of the Coach bags are cloth now which I am not a fan off. I still have all of my leather coaches though and some are 15 plus years old. I have a few dooney's and they hold up well to. I think you need to go to the store and really look for yourself. Also though its not considered designer Stone Mountain makes durable bags, the trick for me wa finding one that I liked.

28. CarolinaGal

CarolinaGal New Member

That is a beautiful bag! I think I'm really feeling the Crimson. Be careful though because the Brahmin store here always gives you a $50 off coupon for your next purchase. They try to keep you coming back :lachen:

29. Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll New Member

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  30. CarolinaGal

CarolinaGal New Member

I'm considering this as my next purchase...

Product: Brahmin Les Roses Collection "Louise Rose" Satchel[/QUOTE]

Oh, this is a great bag! I have it in truffle, but it is a true satchel in that I can't get the handles over my shoulder when I need to free my hands and I don't really care for the shoulder strap that comes with it. That's the only draw back for me sometimes. The matching checkbook wallets are nice also.