Are Roller Sets Bad?

Caramel55

Hi all! /images/graemlins/wave.gif

I'm pretty new around here (Although I registered a year ago, I only recently started exploring the boards) I see that a lot of posters prefer to air dry which leads me to wonder.....Are roller sets and wrapping under a hood dryer just as damaging as blow drying with a hand held dryer? Is it just bad in general?

Are there any ladies who have gained hair health and length while using roller sets and wraps (or doobies)? Among those who rooler set and wrap regularly, how often do you wash and set your hair? And what is your hair type?

Sorry for asking such an elementary question, but I just want to know all that I can to help my hair be its best! Thanks in advance all! Be blessed! /images/graemlins/wave.gif

webby

Think Slim
Welcome Caramel /images/graemlins/dance7.gif

To answer your question, I think that it depends on each individual hair type. For me, my hair gets very dry, the ends split terribly, regardless to how much I moisturize them, when I air dry. I find that roller setting, then wrapping, keeps my ends smooth and I experience less splitting. This helps me to maintain length.

However, others may get better results by air drying.

Jenai

It all comes down to heat. Direct heat from curling irons/flat irons/held dryers is very damaging to a lot of us. Some try to lessen the heat by doing rollersets/wraps to acheive that silky, bouncy, straight look. Then others have eliminated heat altogether by airdrying. Whatever level of heat you may choose to use, always remember to use some type of heat protectant first. HTH

bajanplums1

Hi Careamel55,
I have onnly recently started airdrying and rollersetting. In the past, when I went to a stylist, she only rollerset my hair and dried under a hood dryer. My hair grew like crazy. However, she also gave me regular protein treatments, used tons of moisturizers before she roller set my hair.

From 2002 until August 2004, I did my own hair and always used a blow dryer and curling iron--AND I HAD TO CUT 2 INCHES OFF every 3 months! Now, I only dry by airdrying with ROllers. I don't even do the rollersets under the dryer. My ENDS are great, no frizz, no dryness. I am very happy and highly recommend airdrying in rollers.

My hair is 4a relaxed with a fine texture, so I get my hair as straight as it would be with heat, just by using good moisturizing conditioner/ good leave in conditioners (Nexxus Headres & Salerm 21) and a good daily moisturizer.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!!

SherryLove

welcome caramel55 /images/graemlins/wave.gif /images/graemlins/wave.gif

I always get rollersets (every two weeks), and i have not had a problem with hair health and growth...my hair type is 3c/4a......However, i no longer wrap my hair because it thinned my hair out something terrible last year.... /images/graemlins/angry2.gif /images/graemlins/angry2.gif

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Careamel55,
Now, I only dry by airdrying with ROllers. I don't even do the rollersets under the dryer. My ENDS are great, no frizz, no dryness. I am very happy and highly recommend airdrying in rollers

[/ QUOTE ]
That's me exactly

kitchen_tician

I rarely roller set my hair, maybe 2-3 times per year, but when I did, I didn't have a problem maintaining health and length.

I stopped roller setting because it doesn't last very long and it takes too long to detangle each piece for the roller. I would sit under a hooded dryer for about 1-2 hours.

Chaya

Are roller sets and wrapping under a hood dryer just as damaging as blow drying with a hand held dryer? Is it just bad in general?

Are there any ladies who have gained hair health and length while using roller sets and wraps (or doobies)?

I used to blow dry and curl my hair every week and I experience lots of dryness. I also had all over color to contribute to this as well so I cant entirely blame it on the curling iron. However, since I have started rollersetting my hair ( and growing the color out) my hair is now grown from shoulder length to almost 3 inches to bra strap! My hair is much more healthier and shiney. I think Rollersets are a great way to go just as long as you manipulate the hair very carefully as you section each piece for the roller.

Among those who rooler set and wrap regularly, how often do you wash and set your hair?

I wash and set my hair 1-2x/week. I wrap my hair almost every night unless I use the satin covered rollers.

And what is your hair type?

My hair type is 3c/4a

shellzfoshizzle

I think roller sets are good. It keeps you from curling your hair and adding on unnecessary heat. One thing I noticed, is when I do my own sets and sit under the dryer, my hair is hard and dry and the ends are split. I did notice a difference in the softness and bounce when I let it air dry. I rarely air dry though. On the other hand, when I get my hair done at the salon and she rolls it and places me under those hot-forhead burning industrial sized hooded dryers, my hair comes out just fine. It's not hard, frizzy or anything. I would recommend air drying. Keep on roller setting if thats your thing and works for you. It's a hairstyle that will keep your hands out of your head for about a week!

webby

Think Slim
shellzfoshizzle, if your hair is coming out frizzie at home, that may be, because it's not quite dry completely. I used to get frizzy ends too. Then I found out that if the hair looks dry, but is slightly damp on the ends, it will frizz. Since I learned that, I make sure I'm thoroughly dry and I have no problems at all.

Lorraine

I haven't mastered rollersets but when I do them my hair feels so much better. My ends don't feel as dry and the curl is bouncy.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I think roller sets are ok. Personally, I set the hooded dryer for medium heat for 45 mins and the air dry the rest. This works better for me.

I think wrapping can be ok for your hair too but you MUST alternate which side you wrap to or you will get the thinning.

ccd

Ive been roller setting since 93 with Dominican stylists...I learned to do it well recently ( 2000) before then I was blowdrying my hair and airdrying and basically my hair was screaming for moisture!!!

Now its really changed and I maintain and retain length....rollersetting takes practice but once you learn to do it you will never go back to blowdrying!!!! It does however get tedious after a certain point....so airdrying does become tempting!!

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
For me, I do not think roller sets are bad. I usually airdry my rollersets. If something comes up where I need it dry right away, I will let it airdry first and then sit under the dryer with medium heat if it's not dry. I like how rollersets make your ends look nice. Right now, Im doing a rollersetting challenge where I wash and rollerset my hair every 2-3 weeks.

I used to blowdry my hair with a comb attachment all the time. I think it's more damaging than rollersets because of the heat.

VelvetRain

Ah no. I have rollersetted for almost forever. The salon I have gone to for the past seven years only will do rollersets on your hair. My hair seems to do well with them and I rollerset every three days. Using a blowdryer with a brush or comb attachment on soaking wet hair is a recipe for breakage and overweakened hair.

Very rarley do I ever do this.(about onc year)When I do is because I want a really straight hair with no curl.

hiza

I rollerset every three days and I have not had a problem with hair health and growth. I set the hooded dryer for medium.

hiza...