Are There Any Naturals That Use Products With Sulfates?

DST1913

Since transitioning all I've been hearing is stay away from sulfates/cones. But I discovered that the Aussie moist works wonders on my hair. I feel like I'm losing so much hair with detangling and with that product I get LOTS if slip. I don't have to worry about tangles at all. Even knot today doesn't work as well. I'm so afraid to use it because everything I've read says absolutely not to use sulfates/ cones. I want to know if there are any naturals that have not listened to this advice and use some products with these ingredients and still achieved length.

Last edited:

Anaisin

Also do you mean silicones? It would make sense to continue using what works wonders on your hair

DST1913

Not using sulfates etc is a rule of the curly girl method not the "natural hair" method. There is no such thing. People with natural hair use a variety of products to achieve optimal health & length.
Hmm im new to this I thought they were one in the same curly girl/natural

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
I love Aussie moist conditioner to detangle. I also shampoo with treseme flawless curls shampoo and use their rinse out conditioner to detangle. You to find what works best for you. If you are going to be using things with cones you need real shampoo to wash them out. I cowash occasionally but not as much as I use too when I first went natural.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I stopped using sulfates a while back, but I will be honest, my moisture levels were always best when I used sulfates. My scalp was also less itchy. I also stuck with clear sulfates and used small amounts.

If sulfates work for you, why not use them? It's really hard finding an SLS free substitute.

rileypak

Wash Week™ Queen
I am a die-hard sulfate shampoo user. My favorite cleanser ever is a clarifying/chelating shampoo. My scalp has less issues when I use sulfates on a regular basis.
Honestly, it took me some time to find shampoos I actually liked but I found two for now (Redken Hair Cleansing Creme, Biolage Hydrasource Shampoo).
Your hair, your journey. If sulfates and silicones work for you then do what works for you :)

Daina

I use whatever my hair needs which sometimes includes sulfates and cones. Aussie Moist is a staple for me and I haven't had any issues and no regrets. Haircare is like finance its personal which means you tailor your regimen or plan according to what works for you to maximize success!

DST1913

I love Aussie moist conditioner to detangle. I also shampoo with treseme flawless curls shampoo and use their rinse out conditioner to detangle. You to find what works best for you. If you are going to be using things with cones you need real shampoo to wash them out. I cowash occasionally but not as much as I use too when I first went natural.
I don't co wash at all. I just feel like it doesn't clean my scalp. I've been reading that if I'm going to use cones I have to get a clarifying shampoo so I think I will work on that

DST1913

I stopped using sulfates a while back, but I will be honest, my moisture levels were always best when I used sulfates. My scalp was also less itchy. I also stuck with clear sulfates and used small amounts.

If sulfates work for you, why not use them? It's really hard finding an SLS free substitute.
But not anymore
I've always had scalp issues but not anymore I don't know if it's the use of non sulfate shampoo or that I stopped relaxing my hair but my scalp is so much healthier now. it used to be so dried out

DST1913

I never stopped using sulfates. I found the overall formulation of a product was more important than a single ingredient. I used sulfate shampoos that were gentle and I have used sulfate free shampoos that were harsh and stripping.
Interesting. what are some of the shampoos you use?

DST1913

I use whatever my hair needs which sometimes includes sulfates and cones. Aussie Moist is a staple for me and I haven't had any issues and no regrets. Haircare is like finance its personal which means you tailor your regimen or plan according to what works for you to maximize success!
Thanks I think im going to put it in rotation. I think I will retain more length using it due to not having tangles

ms.blue

I use both non sulfate and sulfate shampoos with no issues (my favorite shampoo is ORS Aloe shampoo and that shampoo has so many sulfates) I generally do stay away from cones just because constant use of cones dry my hair out but I'm not anti cones. Honestly, just do what works for you. All these so-called natural hair "rules" will drive anyone crazy.

sgold04

I use sulfates and cones sometimes. It depends on what my hair needs or what I plan on doing with it. They key is just to make sure you do the right follow up, so when I use cones, I make sure to clarify my next wash.

The only ingredients I try to stay away from are mineral oil and petrolatum. I had a sore, irritated scalp a few weeks back and I realized it was because a conditioner I used had mineral oil and it was clogging my pores. I chelated and my hair felt better immediately.

MilkChocolateOne

Interesting. what are some of the shampoos you use?

I don't like to recommend shampoos because my scalp produce a lot of sebum. I use clear shampoos(ors creamy aloe is an exception) and I avoid anything too moisturizing. I use a variety of shampoos. I like ones that thoroughly clean without stripping or leaving my hair tangled.

calibella218

I use silicones and sulfates. I wash with a sulfate shampoo once a week to once every two weeks at most and all of my conditioners have silicones. I've tried cutting them out of my regimen but I find that my hair looks and feels its best when using them.

lesedi

All is well with me
I'm very pro sulfates and cones, my hair looks and feels its best with them. I don't check labels for conditioners or shampoos, and I use oils topically.