Are Type 4 Naturals Ignored?

lexi84

Hi guys!

I’m type 4 and as I browse through the most popular YouTubers and Instagrams for brands, I’m bombarded with the feeling that our naked texture is widely ignored and not as desirable. I rarely is ever see many type 4s attempt and display their wash & goes. It seems as if the only style that is socially acceptable for us are twist outs, braid outs, or rod sets. Yes there are some popular you tubers with type 4 hair but there are waaaaay more of the other textures. What’s the tea on this y’all? Am i trippin?

faithVA

I don't think there are enough type 4s that have mastered a wng to the point their hair thrives.

There are some 4s that do wngs regularly but there are two to three times as many that have a reason it isn't a regular style.

I wouldn't say our texture is ignored or undesirable. There can be a big learning curve to wearing a wng as a 4 and it may not seem worth it.

LovelyRo

I only search for gurus with a similar texture to mine (mostly type 4). In fact, if i see that the person’s texture isn’t like mine, i typically stop watching. My YouTube feed is full of 4 a/b ladies.

ETA- I research a lot of styles but, my go to style is WNG.

Last edited:

Saga

The Generous Queen
I do not do wash and goes because my type 4 hair will coil up to the point where the style does not work with my job/detangling schedule/gym schedule/etc. I have not worn my hair in a wash-n-go stlye in probably a year, and usually once I sleep on it it's ruined. Doesn't matter if I pineapple or band. I rather have nice ends than show my curl definition, but that's just me tho.

As far as your question, I feel like a lot of type 4 naturals wear their hair in stretched styles. You'll find a lot of them with "No-heat stretch" method videos. At least that's what I see,

Soaring Eagle

Singin’ the praises of the baggy method
The type 4s that I have seen do wash and gos on a regular basis have mastered it to the point where they aren’t sacrificing length retention. A lot of the ones I’ve seen are also satisfied with their hair’s length or condition. In my opinion, if one wants their hair to thrive, stretched hair will be the way to go. I can’t imagine the detangling session required on a weekly basis after doing a wash n go.

Personally, I care more about growing my hair than rocking it in its natural state and I flock to youtubers who feel the same.

Last edited:

Evolving78

I’m a type 4 and wash n go is my go to style. I see plenty of 4’s on YouTube able to WNG as well, but like others have said, if you don’t have “get up and go” hair and you are trying to avoid shrinkage, your best bet is to wear a stretched style. Type 4’s know how to stay in their lane. It’s all about embracing your texture and working with what you have, not trying to force to do something that works against it.

Karmi

WNGs are my go to style for low minipulation because I can get it to last a full week and not have to touch my hair. Plus I'll spritz my hair daily so it stays hydrated.
As a type 4 natural, I tried to get with what everyone else was doing, twist outs. But twist outs causes too much mechanical damage to my hair since I have to retwist every night. Type 4 hair is so diverse you really have to just do what works for you.

Britt

I only search for gurus with a similar texture to mine (mostly type 4). In fact, if i see that the person’s texture isn’t like mine, i typically stop watching. My YouTube feed is full of 4 a/b ladies.

ETA- I research a lot of styles but, my go to style is WNG.
Word, same here. I've only ever watch Youtubers with a texture similar to mine. I don't watch people with loose curl patterns.
The one thing I do kinda regret when I was fully natural was not exploring and playing around with wash n goes. I tried two times and became too discouraged. The first time my hair looked a mess, but the second time my hair was like a tight a jerri curl and I realized that if I would've had the patience to tweak my method and use less gel I could have had a more successful wash n go, I definitely had the shine and definition but I think I was too heavy handed with the gel for my hair b/c my hair isn't thick, so my wash n go just looked wavy and heavy instead of lighter/flowy. When I was natural the only style I ever did was a twist out and that's b/c it was damn near error proof for me. This go around I think I will explore other styles, I just need the right products and patience.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I'm mainly a 4a/4b mix, I think. I see folks with my hair type doing wash and go's on YouTube all the time.

I used a gel with a strong hold, and days later when I washed my hair, I had very few tangles.

I've also seen several YouTubers grow out their hair doing wash and go's mainly.

I'm starting to think that the key is mastering your chosen style. I'm very close to mastering a wash and go on my hair now, meaning it lasts for days, looks pretty, is low manipulation, and keeps tangles at bay. For two years prior, I was not able to achieve such wash and go's.

FoxxyLocs

I'm type 4 and I wear braid outs, twist outs, etc. Not because I don't like my texture, but because WnGs lead to massive tangles for my hair and they don't last as long. I think the lack of WnGs for most type 4s is due to similar reasons.

I've done a WnG maybe twice and I loved the result, but in the end it just wasn't worth the effort for me to keep doing it. Plus it took forever to dry.

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
I'm mostly 4a. My hair is very coily. I live in wash n goes. Twist out and braid outs don't work for me. I don't have tangling issues. I watch mostly wash n go videos. I have found that technique is the most important thing when it comes to doing a wash n go. Mine lasts all week.

GGsKin

I am 4c/b and I live in wash and goes (but never naked). When I cut my relaxed ends, I gave up heat 100% and was looking for a way to wear my hair without it. Now my wngs last over a week, or however long I go between washing my hair. Gel is important for longevity. I only have one HG gel that I use consistently but have tried others with varying success. Technique is everything!

I also notice that most 4cs on YT wear their hair stretched for the manageability/ reduction in tangles but stretching my hair without heat seems to make my hair tangle more. I don't want to wear my hair in twists or (what I affectionately call) do-do plaits and I don't want to style my hair everyday, so wash and goes work for me. My friends and family suggest I start a YT channel but I don't because aside from my own hangups; I don't try products often, don't use tools often, or vary my styling often. I'd probably make two videos a year. There's probably more of us out there who feel similarly.

LovelyRo

I'm starting to think that the key is mastering your chosen style. I'm very close to mastering a wash and go on my hair now, meaning it lasts for days, looks pretty, is low manipulation and keeps tangles at bay. For two years prior, I was not able to achieve such wash and go's.

I totally agree! I see a lot of people talking about stretched hairstyles but, they require too much for me or I look a mess with them (I just don’t get consistent results). WNGs are simple! I can sleep comfortably at night (banding method). I know how to refresh it in the morning (spritz with water and add more gel where needed). I can make it last a whole week, especially if I do a high puff after day 3/4. It took a lot of research (mostly YouTube) and a little practice but, it’s the easiest style for me!

ETA - I rarely get any tangles

Last edited:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
4c-hair-having Protective Princess has a great YouTube channel that is one of my favorite channels.

Her hair THRIVES in mini-twists (see first video below), but she does take a break from such protective styling and wears wash and go's sometimes (see second video below).

I almost didn't believe she WAS a 4c when I first started watching her videos, she had so much definition.

Protective Princess on mini-twists and all it accomplishes for her:

Protective Princess accomplishing amazing-looking wash and go's on her 4c her and sharing awesome tips for getting lots of definition, various ways to preserve/protect the hairstyle overnight, etc.:

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
Hi guys!

I’m type 4 and as I browse through the most popular YouTubers and Instagrams for brands, I’m bombarded with the feeling that our naked texture is widely ignored and not as desirable. I rarely is ever see many type 4s attempt and display their wash & goes. It seems as if the only style that is socially acceptable for us are twist outs, braid outs, or rod sets. Yes there are some popular you tubers with type 4 hair but there are waaaaay more of the other textures. What’s the tea on this y’all? Am i trippin?

@ the bolded. I will never try a W&G, they are a NO GO. Any hair style that is stretched yields more retention for me. I don't know about it being socially acceptable or not I just know it helps not to have hair all jumbled up in a wash & go for days. That is just logic. My true texture is there with all my hairstyles because my edges don't lie about my roots.

To answer your question though, NO I do not think that 4Cs are ignored.
Just because 4C hair isn't in a W&Go or in a Puff does not equal hiding texture.

Last edited:

lexi84

Thank guys!!! I still feel like representation needs to change. I read all your responses and it sounds good but what about all the people out there who think that an un stretched afro isnt elegant. I pretty much have to wear my hair curly or stretched in a twist out/ braid out/ rod set in order for it to be socially acceptable. I guess i just feel like so many Naturals are still putting heat in their hair to avoid dealing with their texture and shrink. And i find that the ones doing this have the kinkiest textures. We band, we braid, we twist, we use those plates, and we blow dry just to avoid shrinkage. I was blowdrying twice a month for years! It wasn’t until I received a bad color job from a stylist and experienced hella breakage that i actually stopped. I guess i feel like if the representation changed, i wouldnt have felt the need to stretch my hair with heat. I wouldnt feel the need to stretch at all actually. No one thinks shrinkage is cute but thats what my hair does after washing no matter what I do. (except blow dry) So yea, I still think representation needs to change. People on instagram just floated a post around about "laid edges" vs "non laid edges". My edges look more like the "non-laid" unless I shellack them to death.

This is where the "struggle" word comes into play. We are steady trying to make our hair do things to fit into society but our(my) hair wants to do something else. Am I crazy??

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Thank guys!!! I still feel like representation needs to change. I read all your responses and it sounds good but what about all the people out there who think that an un stretched afro isnt elegant. I pretty much have to wear my hair curly or stretched in a twist out/ braid out/ rod set in order for it to be socially acceptable. I guess i just feel like so many Naturals are still putting heat in their hair to avoid dealing with their texture and shrink. And i find that the ones doing this have the kinkiest textures. We band, we braid, we twist, we use those plates, and we blow dry just to avoid shrinkage. I was blowdrying twice a month for years! It wasn’t until I received a bad color job from a stylist and experienced hella breakage that i actually stopped. I guess i feel like if the representation changed, i wouldnt have felt the need to stretch my hair with heat. I wouldnt feel the need to stretch at all actually. No one thinks shrinkage is cute but thats what my hair does after washing no matter what I do. (except blow dry) So yea, I still think representation needs to change. People on instagram just floated a post around about "laid edges" vs "non laid edges". My edges look more like the "non-laid" unless I shellack them to death.

This is where the "struggle" word comes into play. We are steady trying to make our hair do things to fit into society but our(my) hair wants to do something else. Am I crazy??

I get what you're saying.

Please still like me ;) , but I'll go ahead and be honest: I don't like wearing my Afro as much as I like wearing my gelled, elongated wash and go.

Someone told me it's because I've been brainwashed from living in America.

I don't feel like anyone is actively shaming me about my Afro, though. Maybe it's in the "atmosphere" though.

faithVA

You are saying we but you are having a personal struggle with wearing your hair the way you want. You don't need more representation. You don't need anyone to OK your hair. If it' a work requirement understood. Outside of that you have to find the strength in you to wear your hair the way you like.

I' sure where I live and work it is more acceptable to wear a wng vs the flat twist styles I wear. But I'm not trying to kill myself figuring out a wng. And I found if I'm cool with other people don' have much to say.

Find your inner boldness. It's in there.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I feel type 4s are represented well enough and with a variety of styles. I personally follow more people with stretched styles or mini braids/twists because that's my go to style for my hair. I know how to do a wng but I typically don't because it's a lot of work before and after for only a minimal results.

Also, Afros can definitely be elegant but you have to find the best one for you. I loved my TWA but my afro now needs some work and a good hair pic to really look nice.

classychic1908

I am 4c/b and I live in wash and goes (but never naked). When I cut my relaxed ends, I gave up heat 100% and was looking for a way to wear my hair without it. Now my wngs last over a week, or however long I go between washing my hair. Gel is important for longevity. I only have one HG gel that I use consistently but have tried others with varying success. Technique is everything!

I also notice that most 4cs on YT wear their hair stretched for the manageability/ reduction in tangles but stretching my hair without heat seems to make my hair tangle more. I don't want to wear my hair in twists or (what I affectionately call) do-do plaits and I don't want to style my hair everyday, so wash and goes work for me. My friends and family suggest I start a YT channel but I don't because aside from my own hangups; I don't try products often, don't use tools often, or vary my styling often. I'd probably make two videos a year. There's probably more of us out there who feel similarly.

Which gel is your HG?

GGsKin

You are saying we but you are having a personal struggle with wearing your hair the way you want. You don't need more representation. You don't need anyone to OK your hair. If it' a work requirement understood. Outside of that you have to find the strength in you to wear your hair the way you like.

I' sure where I live and work it is more acceptable to wear a wng vs the flat twist styles I wear. But I'm not trying to kill myself figuring out a wng. And I found if I'm cool with other people don' have much to say.

Find your inner boldness. It's in there.

Amen.

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions

I am not here on this Earth to make other people comfortable with my hair. My hair is coily so it shrinks up to my ears. Once I went natural I had to shift my expectations of what to expect of my hair. Shrinkage is an indication of our hair's health. If my coily hair is not shrinking it means there is a problem. I think that afro hair is beautiful I love seeing it in all it's forms. I hope you are able to find a peace with your hair.