Are UBH Products Any Good?

vtoodler

Has anyone ever used Cathy Howse's UBH moisturizer and deep conditioner? If so, did you like it?

What moisturizers and deep conditioners are similiar (or better) to hers?

Last edited:
I liked the Dew Spray moisturizer. It's light, it moisturizes well, and it smells good. Hydrasilica's hair spritz reacts the same way in my hair. The oil moisturizer was good if you like oil moisturizers. I wasn't crazy about the DC.

I have used it, I can't say it's was phenominal.. it was ok. I wouldn't discourage anyone from trying it though.

I used the conditioner when I was relaxed, the moisturizer was too heavy for my straight hair... but it's fine for my natural hair when I'm wearing natural styles. I haven't used the conditioner since I've been natural.

I luv how the conditioner makes my hair strong. The smell does not bother me. I do add a little WGO to the conditioner ( I have ordered the conditioner 3 times).The moisturizer is good but I would not use it as my main leave in. I use it to moisturize and then seal. It performs well and I kinda like the fact that it is scent free. The dew is ok, but I will not repurchase.

MY STAPLES...Its a household STAPLE as well. U can do a lhcf search on here. There as been many Cathy Howse 365 Day Challenges and many fotki's with amazing before and after pictures. McElwee Wife & BabyGurl are two that I remember that retained a lot of length.

IMO there is NO moisturizer similar to hers (unless shea butter counts). She created this moisturizer because there were none on the market to address our hair needs and IMO there still isn't.

Last edited:
It was my first act of PJ'ism when I started my hair journey and i've neer purchased it again. After I found my first bottle of Green Label CON I was over UBH.

I tried the UBH deep conditioner - I really wanted to like it but it tangled my hair. no slip. :(

cause its a protein conditioner - slip is NEVER guaranteed with it. If u still have it...I'll take it off ur hands

I love the moisturizer. I have super dry hair. Its the only thing that keeps my hair soft all day. I like the new formula tho.the one with almond oil

Sent from my PC36100 using Long Hair Care Forum App

Cathy has added a paraben free moisturizer and dew to her product line. Has anyone tried either one? I saw them a few days ago in the BSS...the packaging is different. I love the original formula dew because it was lightweight. The crème moisturizer was too heavy for me but the new paraben free formula is supposed to have a silkier consistency.

I tried the UBH deep conditioner - I really wanted to like it but it tangled my hair. no slip. :(

Yeah, in her book (or on her website, can't remember) she suggests following her DC with a rinse-out moisturizing conditioner to bring the softness back and add slip.

vtoodler, the protein comes from the Aloe Vera Concentrate listed first in the ingredients.

I started my HHJ with all 3 of her products. Dew was great as a detangler; the UBH conditioner worked really well for strengthening my hair and I also liked the moisturizer.

I don't use her products faithfully anymore because I got tired of ordering off the net, but from time to time I do still purchase the conditioner. The conditioner is my favorite of the 3 products.

By the way I'm natural with fine strands.

I used her conditioner when I was relaxed and truthfully I liked it. It lasted me a long time. It strengthened/softened my hair and I loved the way it made my scalp feel. The other stuff (moisture spray) was ok, I just found better stuff at the time.

there are rules on this board that I never intended to break, but once was kicked off for just mentioning something. I will only say that it is what turned my hair around. My setbacks (4 in 4 years) were always caused by SHS or color, and UBH fixed this. I believe so much in this product and the regimen. PM me if you want.

I've been using Cathy Howse (UBH) DC'er for about the past month. I actually like it.

I've been using it weekly.

For me, the Key to using this Conditioner is: Moisturize, Moisturize, Moisturize. )

Pull out your Heaviest Moisture Based Conditioner afterwards.

Tonight, I'll be Steaming with Joico Moisture Treatment Recovery Balm.

Indeed T. :yep: People will knock it because it really does make the hair feel quite coarse - but imo that is a very good thing because my hair is so strong now between using UBH and K Pak. As you say though you have to bring out the big guns in terms of moisture DC to get your hair feeling manageable again. Whenever I use this conditioner I will co-wash rather than shampoo.

I can't speak so highly of the Dew though, I wasn't impressed with that at all.

Last edited:
Indeed T. :yep: People will knock it because it really does make the hair feel quite coarse - but imo that is a very good thing because my hair is so strong now between using UBH and K Pak. As you say though you have to bring out the big guns in terms of moisture DC to get your hair feeling manageable again. Whenever I use this conditioner I will co-wash rather than shampoo.

I can't speak so highly of the Dew though, I wasn't impressed with that at all.

@LushLox

It's a very, very good Protein Rx. But Chile.....You got to definitely have to UP the Moisture.:nono:

Yep. I co-washed prior and DC'ed afterwards.:grin:

Again, thanks for turning me on to this product.:kiss:

Whenever YOU Put Your Stamp of Approval on Something....I always jump on it!:lol::lol::lol:

@LushLox

It's a very, very good Protein Rx. But Chile.....You got to definitely have to UP the Moisture.:nono:

Yep. I co-washed prior and DC'ed afterwards.:grin:

Again, thanks for turning me on to this product.:kiss:

Whenever YOU Put Your Stamp of Approval on Something....I always jump on it!:lol::lol::lol:

Aww thanks hun, just glad it works for you. :hug2::)

Back