Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
I haven't tried any new online vendors in a long time. Probably won't. I've been happier with what I find in store these days.

Some of these online vendors have too much stuff and I don't feel like shifting through all of it.

The Mane Choice is driving me nuts but I don't like their products so really, its not a big deal. I just see them dropping line after line and to me, its confusing.

I get different things for different hair types but sometimes its sooo much to try and figure out. Eh, just me

oneastrocurlie

The Mane Choice is driving me nuts but I don't like their products so really, its not a big deal. I just see them dropping line after line and to me, its confusing.

I get different things for different hair types but sometimes its sooo much to try and figure out. Eh, just me

I think that's a marketing ploy anyway lol. I've never tried mane choice and their monthly releases isn't changing my mind.

It's OK to be really good a handful of products instead of having 50 mediocre products.

Oyin and NYC Curls are a good example of that.

Last edited:

water_n_oil

@shawnyblazes
From my experience, she was one of the absolute worst.:censored:

With her half-whipped, runny products which may or may not come and slow shippingo_O..:look:
I won a giveaway from her about a month ago. The shipping notice sat at pre-shipment for a week before it actually moved. I had won the kids collection which initially worked great for both my daughters. Then my oldest complained of itching but I thought it was something else until the next time I used it and she broke out in hives. I'd never a blame a vendor for allergies but I glanced at the bottles again and noticed her ingredient lists are incomplete. What's listed won't give you a shelf stable product. Super annoying when there's ingredients you need to avoid. None of the listed ingredients are allergens for my girls so I don't even know what caused the reaction.

Last edited:

oneastrocurlie

I haven't tried any not already established brands in a while. Gemini Naturals was my last I think but she just sells temp hair color gel.

Don't plan to either. They usually have great sales but it takes 80 weeks to get and it's so so product. Then I'm only ever buying during sales cause why buy full price when there's a sale every two weeks and I don't want to wait lol. So no.

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
This thread was a very refreshing read, but it made me a little sad at the same time.
A lot of members are gone. I wonder how they are?
I’m bothered that after 4 years we still have issues with shipping and product consistency. I currently no longer order a certain products from certain vendors, due to consistency and smell changes.

gorgeoushair

@shawnyblazes

I still have a major problem with the Outpriced/Overpriced "newbies". There's a somewhat 'new' vendor to me and I like her items okay.

However, what she gives in discounts, she makes up in extra added shipping costs which is so cost prohibitive for me to buy from her due to the fact most of her items are 4oz's.

I see she's taking "Pre-Orders" now which won't ship until March. #overit

Who???

Neomorph

Even though I've not had any horrible experiences with the two vendors I've used (J. Monique's and NaturelleGrow), for the most part I do prefer OTG products just because I like the flexibility of being able to swing by Target to get my products in a pinch or buy directly online. This is why I'm very much for some of these smaller brands getting notoriety and starting wholesale distribution. Plus, I've personally found it easier to recommend products on the ground. Many of my sorors have asked me about products and when I mentioned say J. Monique's rhassoul mask and that it was online only...quite a few of them seemed hesitant about purchasing online, versus me talking about KCKT (where we'd go to Target together and buy some). As much as I believe in the power of small businesses, I do realize we need more diversity in the OTG market (especially brands that are less than $12)

One thing that bugs me about online vendors is that there isn't a lot of innovation in the products. I've seen so many naturals (including myself) who say they can't use products with at least one (if not multiple/all) of the following four ingredients:
Shea Butter
Coconut Oil
Aloe Vera
Glycerin

Yet those products are still common in just about most of the online vendor's products. There is a whole, virtually untapped market for online hair care products that don't use those in their formulas. If I do patronize any online vendors, it will be ones that make products that don't include the above (exception being aloe vera since that's the only one of the four my hair, scalp & face tolerates).

Last edited:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@Neomorph
Those are all good points.:up:

On-Line purchases (especially with newer businesses) is "risky business" or like a box of Chocolates - you never know what you will get.:sekret:

And there can still be on-going problems with ship times, wait times etc...

Established businesses like SheScentIt and others usually have things together or places like Hattache or Naturally Curly where you can buy many brands at one place.

oneastrocurlie

Even though I've not had any horrible experiences with the two vendors I've used (J. Monique's and NaturelleGrow), for the most part I do prefer OTG products just because I like the flexibility of being able to swing by Target to get my products in a pinch or buy directly online. This is why I'm very much for some of these smaller brands getting notoriety and starting wholesale distribution. Plus, I've personally found it easier to recommend products on the ground. Many of my sorors have asked me about products and when I mentioned say J. Monique's rhassoul mask and that it was online only...quite a few of them seemed hesitant about purchasing online, versus me talking about KCKT (where we'd go to Target together and buy some). As much as a I believe in the power of small businesses, I do realize we need more diversity in the OTG market (especially brands that are less than $12 bucks)

I don't even bother recommending online only vendors to friends. They won't even bother if they can't pick it up in the store. I've been preferring OTG business lately as well. I can't remember the last new brand I tried.

Neomorph

@IDareT'sHair yup those shipping/waiting times are something that deters me from shopping 100% online for most of my products as my scalp is quite sensitive with the SD/eczema going on and I don't want to run out of something that works well for my hair and doesn't irritate my scalp and have to wait weeks for it to come (especially now that I wash once a week).

So that rules out leave-ins, stylers and shampoos for online-only shopping (luckily I have found OTG staples for each and most of them are black owned). However I find that I can be a little less picky with deep conditioners as long as it contains some protein, has no glycerin and has slip. Since I want to have a couple of DCs in rotation I'm okay with buying one from online vendors as long as I have one OTG DC as well. I'm actually eyeing some of those shescentit DC's to try...:sekret:...hopefully I can snag some when they get back in stock. I have plenty of DC to use up so I wouldn't mind waiting for them to ship.

Last edited:

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
@Neomorph

None of my staple leave in or stylers have those items in it. Its always been a search to find those because my hair doesnt care for them and aloe vera. I cant use any leave in hair item with these ingredients.

I like different and innovative however honestly , I can get away with flax seed gel, a curl activator gel , clay and henna/ayurvedic herbs, oil. Id be happy as a plug.

I get a little upset when folks change ingredients but really I can keep it moving.

I love to support and get brands out there especially if they are black owned but sometimes they get ahead of themselves and overwhelmed.

Its nice to walk into Target or any otg store and see black owned products though. We have a local beauty supply store that is the bomb, even though they overprice a little.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I don't mind supporting On-Line businesses and I love trying new items.

And when they do mess up - I don't mind giving them another chance to get it right, especially if their CS realizes the mistake, graciously accepts it and corrects it.

If I say I am not happy about something, please don't try to challenge me. I'm not happy periodt.

CS is really important to me when dealing with on-line Vendors and especially important if I've never purchased from you before. It is a test.