Are you getting the max. benefits of Biotin?

Brooke007

Member, Dumbledore's Army
You may need to add Niacin (check your multi's)
I've also read that adding extra silica will give Biotin a big boost.
[ QUOTE ]

Biotin combined with Niacin have been proven to promote hair growth in addition to hair health.
Biotin
· It is the best known supplement for the health and beauty of Hair, Skin and Nails.
· Also referred to as Vitamin H, this vitamin promotes hair growth, protects against dryness and is involved in the biosynthesis of unsaturated fats.
· Increases the elasticity of the hair's cortex preventing breakage.
· It also thickenss the actual hair cuticle providing a fuller appearance because of the increased diameter of the hair shaft.
· A lack of Biotin would result in dermatitis and hair loss.
Niacin
· Works best when combined with biotin. Increases blood flow to the follicle which is important to "hair growth".
· Niacin is also know to reduce cholesterol which is important since cholesterol collected in the scalp can release the enzyme 5-alpha reductase which gets converted into DHT.
· It has a dilating effect on vessels and capillaries thereby increasing circulation to the scalp and stimulating hair growth.

Biotin and Niacin in the hair growth strategy:
· DHT Reducing Benefits.
· Increased Circulation to the scalp.
· Follicle Stimulation promoting hair growth.
· Hair Nourishment and Health.

[/ QUOTE ]

cybra

Thanks Brooke. I thought simply taking B-complex was enough to boost and help the biotin to work...I guess I should consider the niacin too then. I guess I'll do some additional research before doing so thought. Just the same, thank you for sharing this with us.

Brooke007

Cybra, the B-complex probably has a sufficent amount of Niacin. Check the label it will read as Niacin or B3. I'm not trying to encourage anyone to over-medicate.

More on Niacin:

[ QUOTE ]
HOW TO DETERMINE A SATURATION LEVEL OF NIACIN
Niacin is vitamin B-3, one of the water soluble B-complex vitamins. One of niacin's unique properties is its ability to help you naturally relax and get to sleep more rapidly at night. And it is well established that niacin helps reduce harmful cholesterol levels in the bloodstream. Abram Hoffer, M.D., Ph.D. explains: "Niacin is one of the best substances for elevating high density lipoprotein cholesterol (the "good cholesterol) and so decreases the ratio of the total cholesterol over high density cholesterol."

Another niacin feature is its ability to greatly reduce anxiety and depression. Yet another feature of niacin is that it dilates blood vessels and creates a sensation of warmth, called a "niacin flush." This is often accompanied with a blushing of the skin. It is this "flush" or sensation of heat that indicates a temporary saturation of niacin, and that is our topic here.

When you flush, you can literally see and feel that you've taken enough niacin. The idea is to initially take just enough niacin to have a slight flush. This means a pinkness about the cheeks, ears, neck, forearms and perhaps elsewhere. A slight niacin flush should end in about ten minutes or so. If you take too much niacin, the flush may be more pronounced and longer lasting. If you flush beet red for half an hour and feel weird, well, you took too much. And large doses of niacin on an empty stomach is certain to cause profound flushing.

Dr. Hoffer writes: "With larger initial doses, the flush is more pronounced and lasts longer," says Dr. Hoffer. "But with each additional dose, the intensity of the flush decreases and in most patients becomes a minor nuisance rather than an irritant. Niacin should always be taken immediately after finishing ones meal."

I have found that the best way for me to accurately control the flushing sensation is to start with very small amounts of niacin and gradually increase until the first flush is noticed. One method is to start with a mere 25 milligrams (25 mg) three times a day, say with each meal. The next day, try 50 mg at breakfast, 25 mg at lunch and 25 mg at supper. The following day, one might try 50 mg at breakfast, 50 mg at lunch, and 25 mg at supper. And, the next day, 50 mg at each of the three meals. The next day, 75 mg, 50 mg and 50 mg. Then, 75. 75 and 50, and so on. In this way you have increased at the easy rate of only 25 mg per day. One would continue to increase the dosage by 25 mg per day until the flush occurs.

It is difficult to predict a saturation level for niacin because each person is different. As a general rule, the more you hold, the more you need. If you flush early, you don't need much niacin. If flushing doesn't happen until a high level, then your body is obviously using the higher amount of the vitamin.

Now that you've had your first flush, what next? Since a flush indicates saturation of niacin, it is desirable to continue to repeat the flushing, just very slightly, to continue the saturation. This could be done three or more times a day. To get to sleep sooner at night, niacin can be taken to saturation at bedtime, too. You might be asleep before you even notice the flush.

An important point here is that niacin is a vitamin, not a drug. It is not habit forming. Niacin does not require a prescription because it is that safe. It is a nutrient that everyone needs each day. Different people in different circumstances require different amounts of niacin.

Says Dr. Hoffer: "A person's "upper limit is that amount which causes nausea, and, if not reduced, vomiting. The dose should never be allowed to remain at this upper limit. The usual dose range is 3,000 to 9,000 milligrams daily divided into three doses, but occasionally some patients may need more. The toxic dose for dogs is about 5,000 milligrams per 2.2 pounds (1 kilogram) body weight. We do not know the toxic dose for humans since niacin has never killed anyone."

Inevitable physician skepticism and questions about niacin's proven safety and effectiveness are best answered in Orthomolecular Psychiatry, edited by David Hawkins, M.D. and Linus Pauling, Ph.D. This nearly 700 page textbook is the standard reference for details on niacin therapy. Persons with a history of heavy alcohol use, liver disorders, diabetes, or pregnancy will especially want to have their physician monitor their use of niacin in quantity. Monitoring long-term use of niacin is a good idea for anyone. It consists of having your doctor check your liver function with a simple blood test.

Plain and simple niacin may be purchased in tablets at any pharmacy or health food store. Tablets typically are available in 50 mg, 100 mg, or 250 mg dosages. The tablets are usually scored down the middle so you can break them in half easily. You can break the halves in half, too, to get the exact amount you want.

If a niacin tablet is taken on an empty stomach, a flush will occur (if it is going to occur at all) within about 20 minutes. If niacin is taken right after a meal, a flush may be delayed. In fact, the flush may occur long enough afterwards that you forgot that you took the niacin! Don't let the flush surprise you. Remember that niacin does that, and you can monitor it easily.

If you want a flush right away, you can powder the niacin tablet. This is easily done by crushing it between two spoons. Powdered niacin on an empty stomach can result in a flush within minutes. Sustained release niacin is often advertised as not causing a flush at all. This claim may not be completely true; sometimes the flush is just postponed. It would probably be difficult to determine your saturation level with a sustained- or time-released product. They are also more costly. But the biggest reason to avoid sustained-release niacin is that most reports of side effects stem from use of that form.

There is nothing wrong with niacinAMIDE, by the way. That form of vitamin B-3 is frequently found in multiple vitamins and B-complex preparations. Niacinamide does not cause a flush at all. In my opinion, it is less effective in inducing relaxation and calming effects. Niacinamide also does not significantly lower serum cholesterol. This is an important distinction to make when purchasing.

It is a good idea to take all the other B-complex vitamins in a separate supplement in addition to the niacin. The B-vitamins, like professional baseball players, work best as a team. Still, the body seems to need proportionally more niacin than the other B vitamins. Even the U.S. Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA) for niacin is much more than for any other B-vitamin. Many physicians consider the current RDA for niacin of only 20 mg to be way too low for optimum health. While the government continues to discuss this, it is possible to decide for yourself based on the success of doctors that use niacin for their patients every day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kaela

I'm glad you added the information about pure Niacin. When I was younger I took a niacin tablet (don't remember why) and the Niacin flush was the most uncomfortable thing ever. Its like getting a fever and it almost feels like a rash, and your skin becomes red and hot. I would hate for anyone to experience that and not know why its happening.

Brooke007

YIKES! Well what's a little discomfort when you're trying to grow hair?....Just kidding. Really I am.

Tracy

Brooke I'm gald you added the info...

Be SO SO careful with niacin - aside from the flush Niacin can KILL you if you take a toxic amount and I'm unsure exactly how or why but I've heard it repeatedly....

Brooke007

First of all, I'm no pusher

Tracy I think we all have the propensity to get a little carried away with w/ supplements and "purported" remedies. I hope everyone takes any info presented on a hair board with a grain of salt and healthy skepticism. Do your own research and most importantly talk to your physician.

The dangers of Niacin however, is an urban legend.

[ QUOTE ]
There have been no deaths ever from niacin. The LD 50 (the dosage that would kill half of those taking it) for dogs is 6,000 milligrams per kilogram body weight. That is equivalent to half a pound of niacin per day for a human. No human takes 225,000 milligrams of niacin a day. They would be nauseous long before reaching a harmful dose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Still be careful with all supplements.