"Are you trying to grow out your hair?"

mg1979

Has anyone ever asked you, "Are you trying to grow out your hair?" What exactly does this mean? I was asked this twice in the last week by white people and I really didn't know what to say. Aren't we all trying to grow our hair? Is anyone trying not to let their hair grow?

ckisland

"Trying to grow your hair out" just means that you are consciously working to achieve longer hair and aren't cutting it. A lot of people maintain hair cuts at a certain length, so when they start growing their hair out, they stop trimming or cutting it so much. I hear this most from people who cut their previously long/er hair off and want to grow it back. In real life, I'm one of the only black chicks I've ever heard use that phrase :look:.

Here's two explanations:

1. A lot of them are hearing about natural hair and how it's catching back on. Maybe they assume you relaxed.

or

2. Do you have short hair? Maybe they are asking if you're growing it long.

Basically, they were being nosy. Brush it off.

faithVA

I have heard women say this before. And it means just that. They are letting their hair grow out from the last cut they had.

No everyone isn't trying to grow out their hair. Some people get their hair cut every month or so to maintain a style.

When I was relaxed I kept my hair cut. It was rare that I actually tried to grow it out. I had my hair cut everytime I got a new relaxer.

Amarilles

I realize that I'm into semantics but I dislike the word "trying" in this context. The question should be "are you growing your hair out?"

To me "trying" implies like there's some obvious struggle or something.

lana

You could also view it as a compliment. The person notices that your hair is longer so they ask if you're growing your hair out (from your last cut/trim).

So, are you? I would like to know now that you started the thread. :)

In real life, I tell people "Oh, I'm happy at this length" - people ask me about my hair if I wear a twist out for three months and then one day they see me with straight hair. It's a drastic change (shocking for some), from above shoulder length to about bra-strap length.

They also ask me "Did you lose weight?" (The answer is no, but I am wearing slim fit pants instead of boot cut!) I usually just smile and ask them if they are toning up for the summer. (lol)

Girl - people just don't know what to say, so they say anything! Silence is golden.

mg1979

Thanks for all the info ladies! This definitely makes more sense. Both as a natural and when I was relaxed, I always focused on length so I guess by these definitions I am always growing out my hair...I would never really get cuts as much as just trims. My hair isn't short but I don't think it's growing in a way that others would notice...but I do think I styled it a little differently on those days so maybe that created an illusion of more length that got their attention. Amarilles: the word "trying" I think was the second part that struck me because I've technically been growing out my hair the whole 4 years that I've known these two people so I thought "why do they now think I'm trying to".

It's funny how we can interpret or be confused what people say based on our own perspective and experience with a word or phrase.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

faithVA

When I was younger I probably would say something like I'm trying to grow my hair out. Because I got my hair cut a lot I would have to try to grow it out because it was so easy to see a style I want and forget the growing and get it cut again. And if I had a style and was trying to grow to a new length for a new style, it would take patience to get there. For me trying would mean, yeah right now I think I am going to do it but my resolve may not last :lol: So the trying was not about the growing but about the patience.

Most of the women I work with have had the same style for the past 4 years. They go to the same stylist every 4 to 6 weeks and get the same cut, which is why it looks like their hair is always the same.

Growing hair out seems to be uncommon after 25.