ARE YOU USING BLACK TEA FOR SHEDDING HAIR???

cocomama

Several years ago, I started reading Naturally Healthy Hair by Mary Beth Janssen. This was and still is my go to reference book for natural hair treatments. The authoress recommended black tea rinses for hair shedding. I know you must be thinking black tea rinses?!? Black tea contains a large amount of caffeine, which is known to block DHT. DHT is the hormone that is responsible for hair loss. Therefore, rinsing your hair with black tea can help prevent abnormal amounts of shedding.

Just boil 8 ounces of water and 8-10 packages of black tea and let steep over night. I DeepPrePoo on dry hair. Then I wash my hair in the morning with the Authentic African Black Soap@Wholefoods. Finally, I slowly pour the black tea rinse over my head again and let it sit under a plastic cap for 30 minutes or so. Next I put a moisturizing conditioner over the black tea rinse that's on my hair. I let it stay on for another15- 30 minutes. I rinse, then add Mowrah butter and let air dry as normal.

Results:
The black tea rinse resulted in my hair shedding about 50% less. My hair was also shinier and softer. I may start doing this rinse at least twice a month. Make sure to use old clothes when applying this mix because black tea will stain anything it comes in contact with. Also clean your shower soon as possible to keep the mix from staining the shower surface.

http://gumbohair.blogspot.com/2012/08/black-tea-rinses-for-hair-shedding.html

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
Used to do it a lot when I first started using MT, but now I'm used to Mega Tek so I don't really need it as much. Every now and then though.

empressri

Okay this title just made me realize something...I've been drinking a TON of black tea since...forever, since the winter, and when the seasons change I didn't shed a ton like I usually do.

Hmmmmm...must stock up on more English Breakfast...

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
We have a group here for this. Join us in the 2012 tea rinse challenge!

BTW I use herbal for the most part. Works just as well.

kellistarr

hmmm. . . I think I'm going to do like Empress and try putting the tea in me as opposed to pouring it on or spritzing my hair with it. I can't be bothered with the extra shower cleaning, nor do I want to brew 8 to 10 tea bags. I have, however, been hearing a lot about this method and I believe it works, so I will try consuming it first.

empressri

hmmm. . . I think I'm going to do like Empress and try putting the tea in me as opposed to pouring it on or spritzing my hair with it. I can't be bothered with the extra shower cleaning, nor do I want to brew 8 to 10 tea bags. I have, however, been hearing a lot about this method and I believe it works, so I will try consuming it first.

it's tasty!! lol I looooooooooove milky English Breakfast. I was doing this blend before but it got hard to find, it was a black tea blend by...Numi I think. It has Assam in it.

melissa-bee

I tried it once and it didn't work. Well I only used one tea back and I brewed it for about 10 minutes. I didn't know people were using 10.
Are the results instant?

Pompous Blue

@Americka@Pompous Blue So are you doing it weekly or monthly?
cocomama I do them before every DC (sometimes once a week or twice a week). Year 'round. Once I pour it over my head, I massage my scalp about 30 seconds, then apply my DC and steam.

I looked back at my hair-journal and see that I started tea-rinsing Nov 2010. My, how time flies!

First started out with just Earl Grey black tea and then I added horsetail and nettle to my blend. I make the tea 1 gallon at a time -- very, very strong! There are some great recipes in the coffee/tea-rinsing Challenge.

This will always be a part of hair-my regimen.

And, I might add, I add garlic oil or powder to my DC once a month -- year 'round. I have not had an excessive shedding episode since 2009.

cocomama

Pompous Blue Now that's a good Idea to do it a gallon at a time. I remember when carol's daughter used to sell a herbal "tea". She charge around 20-30 dollars for a large jar of herbs. I used to do a nettles and horsetail rinse back in the day a s well. They used to sell it at the local whole foods. Thanks Lady! Oh yeah I need to join that challenge...

melissa-bee I couldn't tell the difference until the second wash, because I already built up shedding for the first wash.

empressri Milky English Tea?!? Sounds good..LOL!

Ltown Even though I have been here since '06, I obviously miss this thread.

Pompous Blue

@Pompous Blue Now that's a good Idea to do it a gallon at a time. I remember when carol's daughter used to sell a herbal "tea". She charge around 20-30 dollars for a large jar of herbs. I used to do a nettles and horsetail rinse back in the day a s well. They used to sell it at the local whole foods. Thanks Lady! Oh yeah I need to join that challenge...

cocomama - I make 2 gallons at a time, pour it in 16oz. bottles and store them in the freezer. No need to buy 16 oz bottles; I'm using emptied Hairvedas PH Balancing Rinse bottles. I like the nozzle that comes on the end.

Yes, do join the challenge. It will give you so many helpful ideas.

Keep up the devotion to this addition to your regimen and your hair/scalp will thank you. I've never looked back.