Article: Shampoo myths

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Women's Health Magazine has an article on shampoo that I thought was interesting. They had various women with different hair types try different shampoos like Redken, Aveda, Phyto and Joico. They gave the black chick Optimum Oil Therapy and Pantene R&N shampoos :rolleyes: Why couldn't the sister get some Redken? :lol: Anywho, here's the article........

MYTH- ''You need lather to really know it's working''
The more foam a shampoo produces, the more it's cleaning, right? Not exactly. You may love working up a good lather on your head, but those suds are mostly phsychological effect (Oooh, it's cleaning!) Foaming occurs when surfectant molecules in the shampoo mix with air and create tons of little bubbles. Ideally, your head should only have enough lather to lubricate your hair and scalp, so a quarter size blob will usually do the trick.

PARTLY FACT-''You should use a clarifying shampoo to get rid of buildup''
Unless you're using heavy duty styling products like pomades, mousse or gel, regular shampooing prevents styling-product residue from collecting on your hair. If you do need a clarifier, don't use it more than once a week. These detergent-heavy cleansers, which do a great job at removing buildup, will also do a great job at damaging the cuticle

MOSTLY MYTH- ''Washing every day can be bad for your hair''
Daily washing is safe and healthy. If you have oily hair, it's fine to suds up every day-but even oily types should use a gentle formula (translation: one with moisturizing ingedients like silicones :huh: shea butter or panthenol) People with coarse or dry hair might want to be more conservative and wash every other day. No matter what type of hair you have, stay away from harsh formulas that strip natural oils and treat your strands with conditioner, regular shampooing won't do any harm

FACT- ''For best results, follow with a conditioner''
No, this isn't a scam to sell you two products. Chemists can pack only so many ingredients into each bottle. And a shampoo can't clean properly AND deposit enough conditioner to moisturize your locks. Using a seperate conditioner will coat strands with ingredients that hydrate and protect. BTW: If your hair's super oily, apply the thick stuff only from the ears to the ends

MYTH- ''After a while, your hair gets used to your shampoo. That's why you need to switch brands occasionally''
Honestly, where do people come up with this stuff? Hair is dead, period. So it can't ''get used to'' anything. It's just your perception of how the formula has changed. So if you love a brand, there's no reason to switch.

DECODE THOSE MULTISYLLABIC INGREDIENTS ON THE LABEL

WATER- Usually the first igredient on a shampoo label, water is the base that keeps the other ingredients flowing. It accounts for up to 80 percent of what's in the bottle

ALS/SLS- These surfectants-basically, a fancy word for detergents-are the muscles that do all the cleaning (I wish they would've warned how stripping these can be :ohwell: )

COCAMIDE DEA, MEA OR TEA/COCAMIDOPROPYL BETAINE- These milder foaming detergents are added to create suds. But they also moisturize and thicken the formula so the shampoo is easier to pour

SODIUM CITRATE- This buffering agent keeps the shampoo at the right pH level (slighty acidic) as you wash. OK, now in plain English: SC allows dirt and oil to wash off and helps the cuticles lie flat so hair looks smooth and shiny

GLYCOL DISTEARATE/STEARATE- These waxes kind of like hunky Swedish masseurs: primarily there for look and feel. They're what give the formula a pearly sheen and allow it to flow easliy from the bottle.

POLYQUARTERNIUM/QUATERIUM- These softening compounds-also found in some fabric softeners-thicken shampoos and condition hair

DIMETHICONE/CYCLOMETHICONE- Silicone oils that coat and smooth down the cuticles to add thickness, reduce static, and provide shine. Oh yeah: They make comb-outs easier. If you have coarse, curly or damaged har make sure your shampoo contains one of these conditioning ingredients (I'm washing my hair to get the cones and buildup OUT, why the hell use a shampoo that just packs more on??? :perplexed )

PANTHENOL- A form of vitamin B, this hard working humectant works inside and out. It penetrates the cuticle to plump it up and coats it for added shine

CETYL/OLEYL/STEARYL ALCOHOL- Seeing the word 'alcohol' may set off an alarm. Not to worry: These are hydrating alcohols that attach themselves outside of the hair shaft and act as lubricants. Result: Combs effortlessly glide through hair

NUT OILS/SHEA BUTTER- These super rich natural moisturizers found in hydrating shampoos that coat cuticles so moisture stays locked inside

ASCORBIC ACID/CITRIC ACID- Natural acids derived from vitamin C that smooth cuticles and add shine

OCTYL SALICYLATE/PABA- Sunscreens added to protect you hair and scalp from nasty, chaos causing UV rays-so your color lasts longer (yay!)

Mimi22

Thankx Tiffers. I was especially wondering about the whole clarifying thing. I usually clarify after wash, condish & detangling. I do it once a week with ACV. Guess I'm good to go! :grin:

MizzBrown

That Myth about your hair getting "used to" different shampoos, products, etc....I have heard that on this board many times and wondered how some people believe that.

I say that i dont just like it anymore or found something better. Not that my hair gets used to it. I never understood why people would say this.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
That Myth about your hair getting "used to" different shampoos, products, etc....I have heard that on this board many times and wondered how some people believe that.

I say that i dont just like it anymore or found something better. Not that my hair gets used to it. I never understood why people would say this.

Uh-huh..... So uh..... Where you been at? I haven't seen you in the co washing challenge for some time now :spank:

MizzBrown

Uh-huh..... So uh..... Where you been at? I haven't seen you in the co washing challenge for some time now :spank:

Oh snap! :look: You really serious about this thing dang..i thought it was mostly for show. LOL

Lemme go find the thread. Yesum, I did co-wash this week....

Starian

I've always been under the impression that when your hair gets "used" to something, it just means your hair is coated with 'cones and product buildup and because of that your product isn't being allowed to do its magic like it used to. Thus, clarifying is recommended.

I've experienced this and it worked for me.