As Christians, What Is Our Duty Towards the Foreigner?

Guitarhero

I'm reminded of:

Leviticus 19:34
The alien living with you must be treated as one of your native-born. Love him as yourself, for you were aliens in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

This does not condone breaking the law to assist someone or does it? What should be our christian attitude toward the foreigner in our land, legal or illegal? In years to come, we will be judged according to our actions. But can someone define what they should be within a christian framework?

Guitarhero

You can treat any person with kindness. As far as breaking the law, I'd advise you not to..."Render under Caesar what is Caesar's" if you break secular laws you are subject to the subsequent penalties. Seeking loopholes that justify broken laws are at your own risk. I know there are cases where injustices occur, however, kindness doesn't have to break laws. You can be as kind to them as you would anyone else.

As far as a country's response towards the aliens in their land, from a christian perspective, which is the foundation of this country. Caesar, I know, but there are also laws that are not moral and christians are not held to them. I'm thinking the oppressions of the past here. I'm just wondering what a christian perspective should be regarding how we look at, talk to, think of and implement policies towards people who are aliens (meaning illegal).

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
If you break the law to abide by a Christian standard, I do not believe that will be counted against you in God's eyes. For instance, look at the people in the Bible who broke the law for the sake of the Lord and they would end up in fiery furnances, lion's dens, in prison, or put to death.

Acts 5 (NIV)
27Having brought the apostles, they made them appear before the Sanhedrin to be questioned by the high priest. 28"We gave you strict orders not to teach in this name," he said. "Yet you have filled Jerusalem with your teaching and are determined to make us guilty of this man's blood."
29Peter and the other apostles replied: "We must obey God rather than men! 30The God of our fathers raised Jesus from the dead—whom you had killed by hanging him on a tree. 31God exalted him to his own right hand as Prince and Savior that he might give repentance and forgiveness of sins to Israel. 32We are witnesses of these things, and so is the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey him."

Guitarhero

If you break the law to abide by a Christian standard, I do not believe that will be counted against you in God's eyes. For instance, look at the people in the Bible who broke the law for the sake of the Lord and they would end up in fiery furnances, lion's dens, in prison, or put to death.

Acts 5 (NIV)
27Having brought the apostles, they made them appear before the Sanhedrin to be questioned by the high priest. 28"We gave you strict orders not to teach in this name," he said. "Yet you have filled Jerusalem with your teaching and are determined to make us guilty of this man's blood."
29Peter and the other apostles replied: "We must obey God rather than men! 30The God of our fathers raised Jesus from the dead—whom you had killed by hanging him on a tree. 31God exalted him to his own right hand as Prince and Savior that he might give repentance and forgiveness of sins to Israel. 32We are witnesses of these things, and so is the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey him."

And so...what would be a christian perspective towards the treatment of aliens? :look:

Poohbear

And so...what would be a christian perspective towards the treatment of aliens? :look:
Um...:look: "treat them as your native-born" like you pointed out in your initial post... I thought my post touched on a Christian perspective... I posted a Bible scripture from Acts... here's another one... Luke 6:31, "Do to others as you would have them do to you."

Am I missing something? :confused:

Guitarhero

Um...:look: "treat them as your native-born" like you pointed out in your initial post... I thought my post touched on a Christian perspective... I posted a Bible scripture from Acts... here's another one... Luke 6:31, "Do to others as you would have them do to you."

Am I missing something? :confused:

Pragmatically. Offer them amnesty, citizenship, etc.? Give them a ride to the doctor (which is becoming illegal activity now lolol!). I was rather surprised by all the anti-Mexican sentiment coming from Black people and I thought I'd feel around for the supposed christian perspective to see if there would be any difference. I just have a lot of experience with "aliens" from a variety of places and I'm rather confused about the reactions, esp. when I know what they go through from this other side. The law is one thing but it seems just so :perplexed regarding how they are viewed with such contempt. And coming from, um, us :look: of color??? Scary. There's got to be a holy median somewhere.

Poohbear

Pragmatically. Offer them amnesty, citizenship, etc.? Give them a ride to the doctor (which is becoming illegal activity now lolol!). I was rather surprised by all the anti-Mexican sentiment coming from Black people and I thought I'd feel around for the supposed christian perspective to see if there would be any difference. I just have a lot of experience with "aliens" from a variety of places and I'm rather confused about the reactions, esp. when I know what they go through from this other side. The law is one thing but it seems just so :perplexed regarding how they are viewed with such contempt. And coming from, um, us :look: of color??? Scary. There's got to be a holy median somewhere.
Oh okay. I also have noticed a lot of anti-Mexican/Hispanic among Blacks as well as Whites. I think it's sad, especially since we Black folk have been looked down upon for years (and still are looked down upon).

Well I can give you this little experience. The first stranger I ever decided to give a ride was a Mexican woman! This was back when I was in high school living at home with my parents. It was a hot day and this Mexican woman was walking down a country road with a grocery bag and a gallon of milk and a young child. I decided to pull over and give them a ride home. Come to find out, she didn't live to far from my parents house (less than a mile away)! I don't know if she was illegal or not, but I felt like I did the "Christian" thing or better yet a good thing for someone. I'm sure if she had walked, her milk would have spoiled in that hot heat.

Guitarhero

Oh okay. I also have noticed a lot of anti-Mexican/Hispanic among Blacks as well as Whites. I think it's sad, especially since we Black folk have been looked down upon for years (and still are looked down upon).

Well I can give you this little experience. The first stranger I ever decided to give a ride was a Mexican woman! This was back when I was in high school living at home with my parents. It was a hot day and this Mexican woman was walking down a country road with a grocery bag and a gallon of milk and a young child. I decided to pull over and give them a ride home. Come to find out, she didn't live to far from my parents house (less than a mile away)! I don't know if she was illegal or not, but I felt like I did the "Christian" thing or better yet a good thing for someone. I'm sure if she had walked, her milk would have spoiled in that hot heat.

LOL. And Arpaio of AZ would have had you arrested under conspiracy of helping an alien lifeforce that intends to destroy our planet!!!!!!!!!!! Cough. I didn't exactly drive people her cross de border but I have often, ahem, well um, helped out in ways that will in future make me suspect. They are just people. God help this country if The Day After happens and there is an ice cap hanging down and we need to head past Mexico lolol. They will only be letting Canadians in lol. You'll see a lot of Afro-Latinos trying to get in - with funny accents that don't quite sound like Spanish :look:

Last edited:

SND411

A True Soldier Never Dies
This thread is very interesting. It's amazing to see whether people's allegiance lies in the United States of America or the Kingdom of God.

nathansgirl1908

Perhaps, but Mexicans/Hispanics come into this country and look down on Blacks as well. I don't see any solidarity in that regard. They probably could not care less about our struggle, only their own.

nathansgirl1908

I'm reminded of:

Leviticus 19:34
The alien living with you must be treated as one of your native-born. Love him as yourself, for you were aliens in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

This does not condone breaking the law to assist someone or does it? What should be our christian attitude toward the foreigner in our land, legal or illegal? In years to come, we will be judged according to our actions. But can someone define what they should be within a christian framework?

Treat them with kindness.

But from a government standpoint, they should not be allowed to come over here in droves and dry up our resources.

SND411

Treat them with kindness.

But from a government standpoint, they should not be allowed to come over here in droves and dry up our resources.

Just because the government says something, does not make it holy. The government says abortion is legal and valid yet you will hear countless religious folk protest this law. It's ironic because those people who are supposedly "prolife" wouldn't give a darn about the illegal immigrants losing THEIR lives because "they are supposedly taking our resources!"

And plus, didn't Christ tell us our "resources" are to be shared?

SND411

Perhaps, but Mexicans/Hispanics come into this country and look down on Blacks as well. I don't see any solidarity in that regard. They probably could not care less about our struggle, only their own.

But that is the beauty of our faith. We should stand up for their justice even if some may look down on us. That is what "love thy enemy" is all about. If we only cared for those who cared about us back, how could we overcome the world like Christ Himself?

CoilyFields

Its a very tricky situation sometimes.

We are obligated to help other people, especially strangers. (This was emphasized a lot in the Bible because in many places and environments your refusal to help a stranger (hospitality in the form of food, drink, shelter etc.) could be the difference between life and death for that person).

VS.

We have laws and protocol for immigrants. And we-christians- have been instructed to follow the laws of the land.

So there is a limit to what I will do for someone that is entering illegally. I will not aid and transfer you over country lines, will not hire you at my place of business, will not marry you.

But I will point you towards social services that are free to all and who will not question your status. I will make sure you know your rights (i.e. children CAN go to public school, you CAN get food from food banks, ER help and other social services). I am a social worker so I do advocate for the undocumented but at the same time I cannot put my life and family in jeopardy by doing something illegal when I am better equipped to work inside of the law.

Now for all of that being said...I still have reservations because if people had taken the stance that I just did about slavery then there wouldnt have been an underground railroad and tons of blacks freed.

I could argue that slavery was based on the theft of persons and I was helping them regain their rightful freedom...I was combating a crime against humanity...whereas the undocumented have a home country and are choosing to break the law...dunno.

SND411

Its a very tricky situation sometimes.

We are obligated to help other people, especially strangers. (This was emphasized a lot in the Bible because in many places and environments your refusal to help a stranger (hospitality in the form of food, drink, shelter etc.) could be the difference between life and death for that person).

VS.

We have laws and protocol for immigrants. And we-christians- have been instructed to follow the laws of the land.

So there is a limit to what I will do for someone that is entering illegally. I will not aid and transfer you over country lines, will not hire you at my place of business, will not marry you.

But I will point you towards social services that are free to all and who will not question your status. I will make sure you know your rights (i.e. children CAN go to public school, you CAN get food from food banks, ER help and other social services). I am a social worker so I do advocate for the undocumented but at the same time I cannot put my life and family in jeopardy by doing something illegal when I am better equipped to work inside of the law.

Now for all of that being said...I still have reservations because if people had taken the stance that I just did about slavery then there wouldnt have been an underground railroad and tons of blacks freed.

I could argue that slavery was based on the theft of persons and I was helping them regain their rightful freedom...I was combating a crime against humanity...whereas the undocumented have a home country and are choosing to break the law...dunno.

Some illegal immigrants face crimes against humanity back home. Wouldn't helping some of them escape be somewhat akin to helping slaves escape from their masters? Especially since helping a runaway slave was against the law!

nathansgirl1908

Just because the government says something, does not make it holy. The government says abortion is legal and valid yet you will hear countless religious folk protest this law. It's ironic because those people who are supposedly "prolife" wouldn't give a darn about the illegal immigrants losing THEIR lives because "they are supposedly taking our resources!"

And plus, didn't Christ tell us our "resources" are to be shared?
There's nothing unholy about the government not letting them in.

And Christ can provide resources for them in their own countries. He's got it like that.

nathansgirl1908

But that is the beauty of our faith. We should stand up for their justice even if some may look down on us. That is what "love thy enemy" is all about. If we only cared for those who cared about us back, how could we overcome the world like Christ Himself?
I never said they were enemies, and at no point did I say we shouldn't love them.

CoilyFields

Some illegal immigrants face crimes against humanity back home. Wouldn't helping some of them escape be somewhat akin to helping slaves escape from their masters? Especially since helping a runaway slave was against the law!

I think offering asylum is a different subject and I know it has a different process in immigration.

Im talking about those-the majority-who come here looking for a better life, better jobs, better pay, educaiton, health etc.

So while those are good reasons to want to leave...I cant condone them entering illegally. Maybe there should be a more inclusive immigration policy? But I wouldnt break the current law to get them across the border.

SND411

I never said they were enemies, and at no point did I say we shouldn't love them.

No, I never said that you did. I just noticed that your observation has been the excuse used by some Black Christians about illegal immigration. I wanted to point out that the excuse is not right.

Last edited:

SND411

There's nothing unholy about the government not letting them in.

And Christ can provide resources for them in their own countries. He's got it like that.

Let's be honest. The main reason the government doesn't want them in this country is because of their ethnicity/language. There's something unholy about that.

And plus, Christ often works miracles/provides through HIS people. James 2:15-16
15Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. 16If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it?

We shouldn't just say, oh, God can handle that. We MUST pariticipate in helping people with our resources even if they are illegal.

SND411

I think offering asylum is a different subject and I know it has a different process in immigration.

Im talking about those-the majority-who come here looking for a better life, better jobs, better pay, educaiton, health etc.

So while those are good reasons to want to leave...I cant condone them entering illegally. Maybe there should be a more inclusive immigration policy? But I wouldnt break the current law to get them across the border.

But a lot (not all of course) of illegal immigrants do seek asylum in this country. Some families run away from people wanting to kill them, pestering from their government, etc.

Prudent1

Treat them w/ respect. Not looking down on them. Set time aside to pray and ask God how he wants us to behave, vote, or whatever in regards to this matter. If we do not like the existing laws then we need to start the process of amending them but at the same time, the current laws cannot be ignored. What about all of those who spent thousands to obtain legal citizenship? Worked like dogs to pay for that. Can they get a refund? If you are going to come come the right way. Slaves were treated as less than human and had no voice. They did not force their way into a country with demands. Where can anyone here go outside of the US and demand that we be treated a certain way by that country's citizens? We just need to continue to pray for guidance.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
Let us not forget what The Lord did when foreigners got out of pocket. Perhaps the focus should be on those who encourage illegal immigration instead of the foreigners themselves.

nathansgirl1908

Let's be honest. The main reason the government doesn't want them in this country is because of their ethnicity/language. There's something unholy about that.
There's nothing wrong with expecting them to obey the laws of this country. Besides, many of them come here with imporoper motives of beating the system. They often lie and use deceptive tactics to do so. THAT'S not holy either.

We shouldn't just say, oh, God can handle that. We MUST pariticipate in helping people with our resources even if they are illegal.

I didn't say we shouldn't. But we should also remember that those resources should be used to help people who are here LEGALLY first. And the US often sends aid to other countries.

Guitarhero

No, I never said that you did. I just noticed that your observation has been the excuse used by some Black Christians about illegal immigration. I wanted to point out that the excuse is not right.

I've also noticed this and am very unpleasantly surprised by not only this, the anti-semitism I'm witnessing as well in a variety of situations in real time. It's usually been that Blacks complain that other non-white immigrants spit on them because of the pecking order and seeking of white approval. Well, Blacks are evidently doing the same ime (in my eyes). :nono:

One of the problems is being able to pick out the illegals. They're not all Mexican and Central Americans. The latter are just the easy target, just like Blacks for another brand of racism. Myopia is a terrible thing.

Prudent1

I've also noticed this and am very unpleasantly surprised by not only this, the anti-semitism I'm witnessing as well in a variety of situations in real time. It's usually been that Blacks complain that other non-white immigrants spit on them because of the pecking order and seeking of white approval. Well, Blacks are evidently doing the same ime (in my eyes). :nono:

One of the problems is being able to pick out the illegals. They're not all Mexican and Central Americans. The latter are just the easy target, just like Blacks for another brand of racism. Myopia is a terrible thing.
Now you said something right there. I have been saying this for years-plural. Well before the recent Latino issue became the political hot button it is right now. I have seen this happen in regards to many other ethnic groups. It just goes to show you that under certain circumstances, we can act just as ugly towards others as the dreaded YT. It doesn't make it ok for anyone to behave this way.:nono: I am disappointed sometimes by the excuses that are made when the perp is AA.:sad: In a lot of ways, I think we hold ourselves back. Some things are no one's fault/ responsibility but ours.

CoilyFields

So is anyone saying that they believe that as christians it is our duty to help people come into america (or any other country they believe would offer then a better life) even if it is by illegal means?

It seems that most are saying that would help them if theyre already here (as a neighbor) etc.