Asian Beauty Supply Store Boycott

Candy1978

I have read a more that a few threads in this forum and a few others, about the displeasure of the Asians controlling the black hair industry. There have been many comments about how people don't know what to do about the disrespect, and them monopolizing the industry. Well, I know. We need to hit them where it hurts. We didn't get the chance to ride at the front of the bus, because we were sitting with our hands under ours butts, and being passive. We did something about it. I'm planning on doing something about. I am going to (with a lot of help), start a nationwide Asian Beauty Supply Stor Boycott. We have to hit them in the pockets, to get them to understand that monopolizing is not ok, and that disrespecting people who spend billions of dollars on their stores is not ok. I'm sure that there are alternative vendors we can support during the boycott, places like online vendors, dominican products, beverly johnson, cathy howse, carol's daughter, crown & glory, and many more places we can go. I hope that I can get a lot of support from people on this, since black people, we are always complaining about stuff. Is there going to be sacrafice? of course, but won't it be great when we can reclaim some of the industy that Madam CJ walker worked so hard to create. I am going to need some people to help me do research on approved vendors for the boycott, as well as other planning phases. If you are willing to help in any ways please e- mail me at [email protected] or [email protected]

Candy1978

No it is not going to be used to help my business.....for your FYI i don't sell hair products. I don't have any alternative motives, I'm just trying to do something about the issue at hand. I hope I this doesn't generate any negativity. However this will help a lot of black business in the hair industry.

Last edited:

deltagyrl

I just stopped going...

GL with getting those a little 'less enlightened' to stop buying their weaves from them though.

neonbright

Being that I am located in a remote place at the time. Army Base, I only have so many choices. Walmart, Base Exchange, Asian Beauty and Sallys. Sallys, Walmart and the Exchange doesn't have what I need or want all the time. So I go the local Asian Store, I have no problem with the store and the owners, but they are good to me are very nice.

I have had my problems with Beauty Supply Stores before, but they are Middle Eastern own and not Asian owned. Most of the Asian own I have delt with have Black employees, unlike the Middle Eastern Stores.

Candy1978

There are 2 Asain Beauty Supply Stores near my home, that I have patronize, and all of the owners are friendly, and have never disrespected me, the one store even has a few black employees, however that doesn't excuse the fact that in general they monopolize the industry and use methods that are less than fair, to keep black beauty supply vendors out of business. Perhaps there are online vendors that you can order the same products from.

WhipEffectz1

Candy1978 said:
I have read a more that a few threads in this forum and a few others, about the displeasure of the Asians controlling the black hair industry. There have been many comments about how people don't know what to do about the disrespect, and them monopolizing the industry. Well, I know. We need to hit them where it hurts. We didn't get the chance to ride at the front of the bus, because we were sitting with our hands under ours butts, and being passive. We did something about it. I'm planning on doing something about. I am going to (with a lot of help), start a nationwide Asian Beauty Supply Stor Boycott. We have to hit them in the pockets, to get them to understand that monopolizing is not ok, and that disrespecting people who spend billions of dollars on their stores is not ok. I'm sure that there are alternative vendors we can support during the boycott, places like online vendors, dominican products, beverly johnson, cathy howse, carol's daughter, crown & glory, and many more places we can go. I hope that I can get a lot of support from people on this, since black people, we are always complaining about stuff. Is there going to be sacrafice? of course, but won't it be great when we can reclaim some of the industy that Madam CJ walker worked so hard to create. I am going to need some people to help me do research on approved vendors for the boycott, as well as other planning phases. If you are willing to help in any ways please e- mail me at [email protected] or [email protected]

I wholeheartedly can understand the basis for your statement. With that said, I don't think most black women are going to even consider what you're saying. Don't get me wrong, I agree about what you're saying but getting it across to some some of our people and making sure that it doesn't go out the other ear is quite a task. I mention this because while in grad school, I posed a question of why black people can't open their own nail shops, corner stores, fast food spots, etc. It seem slike they have enough money to drive Lexus cars, afford high apartments/mortgages, etc. I received such a backlash from asking that question. Most of them were like, "I don't care who do my nails, just as long as they look nice" or "black people businesses are nasty and underkept." I commend you for trying to do something about this issue but gone is the strength that black people had during the 50's and 60's. I could go on and on but this is the hair forum. Good luck in your endeavors dear.

Last edited:

Candy1978

A black hair care documentary that's been posted online shows the domination of the black hair care industry by Korean store owners, broken down in ways that I didn't realize, and truthfully never thought about. Essentially the documentary says that Koreans have taken the success of their individual stores, to also control distribution of products. The issue at hand: they've also intentionally freezed out black manufacturers in the process.
The owner of Kizure, a maker of curling irons, pressing combs, and hair care products explains:

"We have been in business for over thirty years and we are a black company selling black beauty supplies and also to black hair stylists. We make a quality product. Everyone looks at our product as being the best in the industry. However since the Asians have been here, they are cutting us out telling us our product is not in demand any longer. About three years ago they started to black list our product and they brought their own products in. They started to manufacture curling irons and they duplicate everything that you manufacture. They would duplicate it and they start to slowly cut back on orders and then they tell you that your product is not in demand."
A Korean store owner was asked to see if he had any Kizure products. The guy pointed to five or so curling irons, next to it were nearly three rows of two other brands, one named Stella. When asked who made it, he said it was a wholesaler, then said, ".. actually they make a copy of that brand." And there it was with a sticker that said "certified Kizure craftmanship." For the store owner's part he seemed embarrassed to say it and about the Stella brand added, "Their brands.. they're no good quality. They just copy them."
How do Koreans get the money to start their businesses? Jon Lie, an Asian professor at UC Berkley said they do so through selling whatever they had in Korea, a Korea that is much more enriched then in the past. So by selling their farm or by selling their apartment they have a pot of money to start relatively small businesses in urban areas. Further funding comes from pooling money between friends and family and other sorts of religious networks. I'd guess that there is some leniency at banks, especially Asian banks to provide them with cash. "Oh, you're starting a Chinese restaurant/liquor store/ beauty supply/West Indian vegetable and fruit market? Here you go. *wink* We've got cats too."
The push to funnel the black hair care market got it's start in the 1960's. A respected South Korean newspaper printed this excerpt in it's 1965 archives.. "In the past, wigs were considered luxury goods in the West, but these days they are considered a necessity especially among black women in the United States. What can the government do to help you? All we want is the banning of the export of hair as a raw material."

This would make it nearly impossible for anyone else to manufacture wigs but themselves. The US government followed up with regulations that banned the import of wigs made from Chinese hair. Thereby giving the Koreans a monopoly on the market.
Was there a void in the market? Did the Koreans simply build the stores that black people didn't bother to? For sure there is some of that.. and another issue in itself.
One black man inquiring about the business end of things.. uh, that's not him. Her hair gives the page color.. the guy told this story.

"A funny thing happened in NY. I went into a Korean store and asked him if he could wholesale me some of the things he had. He told me no. I said ok, if you could tell me where I could get it.. He told me the Koreans are not gonna let ******s get into the business. *laughs* And he's (Korean) in a black neighborhood in Brooklyn."

Links?.. I got links. First this..
Clintex is one of a handful of black manufacturers.. their products are distributed through hair salons. The owner of the store shows how to start a black business from the seed. "After I quit my job, I bought these two stainless steel drums and started in the basement of my home. After the batch was made I would take a measuring cup, go in [the drums] and fill each bottle one at a time."
He's been in the business for 20 years now, has a huge factory but is unable to get distribution through any of the Korean distrubutors. But he holds no grudges.. well sort of "I do not blame the Koreans for anything. It is totally the black consumer. The black business people, black churches, it's our fault because we have not taken the time to educate our people on economics or what we need to be doing to ensure that we have a sound business practice. We haven't taken the time to do that."
"I couldn't get a loan for a business.. but as you can see [20 years later] I am in business today. So you cannot depend on the government for a handout, and you cannot depend on people to help you. We have enough power as a group. If we have the ability to work together and pull together we have enough economic resources within our communities to turn this thing around."
I said sort of because, while he said doesn't pass blame .. He does accept a boycott of those Korean businesses, for the reason of blatantly not distributing products based on that one way racial filter.

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
Well I've been trying to mount my own little campaign among my family...it's not really working as well but I try not to nag. I personally don't patronize their stores but I know many don't feel strongly like that.

LadyJay114

i try to buy supplies from other places, but its difficult. 90% of the bss in nyc is chinese or korean owned. the only non-asian owned bss I know of is Ricky's but their prices are high and they dont carry all brands (i.e. Keracare).

Keen

LadyJay114 said:
i try to buy supplies from other places, but its difficult. 90% of the bss in nyc is chinese or korean owned. the only non-asian owned bss I know of is Ricky's but their prices are high and they dont carry all brands (i.e. Keracare).

I try also. I don't know and black own stores and Sally's and Walmart sometime don't carry some of the products I need. I do have to say I have cut my business with them dramatically. I only buy items I absolutely cannot find anywhere else and would be to costly to order online.

Candy1978

There is an orginazation of Black owned beuaty supply manufatures called BOBSA. They have a website, and you can call them to get information about where the Black owned Beuaty Supply Stores are near you. The Black owned Beauty Supply Stores are going to be more expensive, because the Koreans/Asians are black balling Black owners from the Black Beauty Business. If you go on "You tube" and look up Aron Ranen's Black Hair Documentery. You will see that the Asian distrubution companies ask if you are black or asian before placing an order and if you are black they won't take the order. I am glad that there are some who try not to patronize them, hopefully you can take that step and totally eliminate them. It would be nice if these Black owners would file a lawsuit against these distribution companies, in addition to the general black population boycotting them, until they make it a fair playing field.

Yellowflowers

Candy1978,

I wholehartedly agree with your post applaud your efforts. Farrakan once said that just about every other race has exploited and profited from the black race, mainly because unity is a weakness among our people mainly. He says one reason we cannot move forward is because we still have deep issues and resentments towards each other.

I still have faith in our people. I believe that once we learn true unity we will start to see prosperity among our people as never seen before. There is tremendous power in the black dollar as has been demonstrated numerous times before.

Knowledge is the key. I going to help all I can. I have seen many gifted members on this board who have the knowledge to launch thier own products lines and informational books and graciously shared that info on this forum.

If we can stop spending our dollars with people who do not respect us, then maybe we can pool our dollars also and open hair franchises and businesses of our own.

Last edited:

DaBossOMe

I totally agree with you, Candy, and I have personally stopped buying from those establishments that only respect my money and not me. I only purchase my hair care supplies from Sally's, grocery stores, hair salons and online now. It costs more, but I refuse to support people who would take my money and deliberately try to shut me and other black people out if we decided to go into the same business as them. Hope it hits 'em where it hurts!!!

Candy1978

I spoke today with the presidet of BOBSA (Black Beauty Supply Owners Associations), and he told me that there is a lot that we can do. If you contact them at www.BOBSA.org you can get the info. They are trying to organize a nationwide boycott, and they were just featured on BET. I beleve a lawsuit is in the works as well, but don't quote me on that one. I try to have faith, but sometimes, I feel that there are too many weak minds out there. I hate to say that i really do. I beleive that there is power in the black dollar, but we just don't know it. There's got to be power in the black dollar seeming that we, black women spend 8 billion doallars a year on tending to our hair. Not to mention what we spend on other frivirlous things. All I have to say I how much is your respect worth? If someone called you a n***r in your face, called you stupid, and spit on you, you know you'd be mad as what and ready to fight, well that's what these people are doing to us in many ways as they laugh all the way to the bank with our money. You can't blame them for taking advantage of our ignorance. However if you are interested in owning your own beauty supply store, you can contact BOBSA as well. He told me that there are only 500 physical Black Beuaty Supply Stores in the country vs. the 10,000 plus Asian owned stores in the country. He also mentioned that there are online stores that people can shop on.

Candy1978

DaBossOMe said:
I totally agree with you, Candy, and I have personally stopped buying from those establishments that only respect my money and not me. I only purchase my hair care supplies from Sally's, grocery stores, hair salons and online now. It costs more, but I refuse to support people who would take my money and deliberately try to shut me and other black people out if we decided to go into the same business as them. Hope it hits 'em where it hurts!!!

Right on Sista...lol...that's what I'm doing. Also there is a Black Beauty Supply Store in Miami..that they sell Affirm, Kera Kere Products, and a whole host of things, it'scalled Beauty Time on US 1. I'm going to see if they have a website, or if they could get a website or something.

lil'paw

I do not buy anything from them>>beauty supplies or groceries..and I don't eat in their restaurants. They do not support us and they do not spend their money in our communities. Their products are substandard and the food they sell to us is garbage.
I have found a couple of on-line Black owned beauty supply stores to purchase my products. They may be a little more expensive with the shipping and all, but I feel it is important for us to support our people and INVEST in our own communities. :)
I also buy products from health food stores and occasionally Walmart or Target.

AmyInAtl

Even if they are nice or not, i dont appreciate them,
stealing food out the mouths of people who are trying to earnestly trying to make a living, period.

i personally cant stand the attitude of the lady:mad: who monopolizes the BSS in our town,

she has two stores, when i am forced to go their, you cant pay me to buy over 3 bucks worth of stuff, every item that aint for hair is fake..

she always says, "thats it", i say yep, to her and her nasty attitude,
, 2 be nosey
i browse their store and look at the products t-shirts etc, that their kids arent wearing, etc, etc.

i buy my products from sally's.

i been sick of them folks for a long time.

i even learned i dont need high priced conditioner, if you leave the cheapy stuff leave it on, overnight, a day or to, its better than pricey items, all those creams, make my hair hard, all the stuff is crap....
i've learned to be a low-income hair shopper......tired of paying they bills.
i will make a phony pony last a year......

Candy1978

The best thing to do is just tell another sistah what is really going on. Enlighten some one. especially those of you that still go to beauty shops, bring it up as "shop talk", tell people the truth about how the Asians are purposefully, munipulating the game, by discriminating against blacks. If anyone has any meaning ful discussions in the beauty salon, please tell us what the general attitude was.

prettywhitty

I have seen the documentary, and I have made the decision not to support the Korean stores. Every time I have gone into one, they always follow you around like I'm going to steal some $1.00 conditioner:mad: . I go to Sally's, beauty supply houses where the licensed cosmetologists shop, Target, or online. If I can't get it there, I don't need it.

SparklingFlame

Candy, I give you a standing ovation!!!:bouncegre:dance7:I must admit that this subject has been on my mind quite a lot lately. I saw the doc on Youtube and it really opened my eyes. I had no IDEA it was that bad. I didnt know they had the entire industry taken over.

The job begins and ends with us. When are we going to learn to do for self? We have demands, but we, as a community are not willing to supply our own demand. I cannot completly blame the Koreans and whoever else comes into our communitys starting businesses. Theres much money to be made amoung us. We spend BILLIONS of dollars just in going to the movies. We as a people have money. We just dont have good business sense as a whole. We dont know how to pool our resorces and work together. Even when we do start our own businesses, black people dont give us the respect that they would any other group ie Indians or even Koreans. You dont find Shaniqua asking Talib Munir to give her credit or a discount at the gas station do you?

I make it a point to support black owned business whenever I can. Our prices tend to be higher but thats a given. We have lots more overhead than most so we have to charge more. The change will really be seen when we wake up and do something for ourselves and in order for that to happen we need knowledge. I could go on but...you catch my drift! :lol: Again Candy, my hats off to you girl! Keep on inspiring! ;)

Candy1978

It is very true what you say. Most people think that black people are poor and live in the ghetto without a pot to piss in, however we are major consumers, spending BILLIONS every year. Giving it away to other people that have no other vested interest in our community, besides what they can take from us. I hope that this thread not only encourages you to stop spending money at Asian owned Beauty Supply shops (untill they level the field, and show some real respect), but also, educate yourselves on credit, and look into government programs for home ownership. Owning property is power! My cousin and her husband just got a goverment grant (free money) for 55,000.00 so that they could purchase their own home. Don't let all the other Minorites take advantge of all this free money! I can say this without malice, because my fiance is Puerto Rican, and I see how they take advantage of government programs to start business, buty houses, and build up their communities. But back to the subject at hand. I just pray that we will pull together on this one, and show people that we are not a joke

naturallady said:
Candy, I give you a standing ovation!!!:bouncegre:dance7:I must admit that this subject has been on my mind quite a lot lately. I saw the doc on Youtube and it really opened my eyes. I had no IDEA it was that bad. I didnt know they had the entire industry taken over.

The job begins and ends with us. When are we going to learn to do for self? We have demands, but we, as a community are not willing to supply our own demand. I cannot completly blame the Koreans and whoever else comes into our communitys starting businesses. Theres much money to be made amoung us. We spend BILLIONS of dollars just in going to the movies. We as a people have money. We just dont have good business sense as a whole. We dont know how to pool our resorces and work together. Even when we do start our own businesses, black people dont give us the respect that they would any other group ie Indians or even Koreans. You dont find Shaniqua asking Talib Munir to give her credit or a discount at the gas station do you?

I make it a point to support black owned business whenever I can. Our prices tend to be higher but thats a given. We have lots more overhead than most so we have to charge more. The change will really be seen when we wake up and do something for ourselves and in order for that to happen we need knowledge. I could go on but...you catch my drift! :lol: Again Candy, my hats off to you girl! Keep on inspiring! ;)

mrsmeredith

I began boycotting asian bbs for a few months now. There are products that they carry and no one else does but thats the problem and point that some black people are not getting. So what other stores don't carry your product, choose another product line or purchase them online. Its not just about you (as a person) but us as a people. Every effort from every person counts. Watch the Documentary on youtube and see whats really going on. Think about the people who fought for your rights years ago and still to this day someone is fighting for your rights rather you appreciate them or not. I hate that I have to change relaxers but thats a sacrifice that I am willing to make. Maybe I will try phyto or silk elements but I will never dot another asian bbs door.

Why would blacks rather be beat down than to stand up and fight?:perplexed A question I see in life everyday, (YES see).

Candy1978

I hate that I have to change relaxers but thats a sacrifice that I am willing to make. Maybe I will try phyto or silk elements but I will never dot another asian bbs door.

...to this I say Phyto is definetly an approved relaxer to use. Tell someone, why don't you e-mail the you tube clip to every black person you know. I just e-mailed it to my Aunt who is National Secretary of Sigma Gama Rho Sorority, hopefully she will pass it on to other sisters in her sorority.

Stop The Real Life Monopoly Game of Asian Beauty Supply Stores

visit www.BOBSA.org to get more information on how you can play a small but very important role in the movement to re gain control of our Billion dollar industry.

balisi

Candy, I'm with you on this. As an industry insider, I know I can make an even greater difference. Since becoming a licensed professional, I've been spending very few of my dollars at the Asian BSS. Out of habit, I would frequent the same store I've been patronizing for the last 10 years, especially since they know me and I could always find the mainstream products there. I never purchase the "professional" or salon products though, because sometimes they are counterfeit or old stock. I prefer to obtain professional products and tools directly from a licensed distributor, beauty supply store that is open only to licensed beauty professionals, professional trade shows and Sally Beauty.

All of this exposure to their unfair practices has really opened my eyes and I plan to do things differently not only at their stores, but also at all the hair shows I attend. Asians have a very strong presence at some of these shows, particularly the "bootleg" ones such as Bronner Bros. It is at these shows that the Asians sometimes obtain their stock of Mizani, for example. In so doing, they are able to take advantage of show deals and obtain greater discounts by purchasing large quantities.

I appreciate and applaud your efforts. Please know that they are not in vain.

godsflowerrr

caribeandiva said:
i'm way ahead of you. i started boycotting them months ago.

Me too. i go black owned supply stores and if they don't have what i want I go to walmart for keracare and nexxus. I also go online or to sallys.