Asian Beauty Supply Store Boycott

Candy1978

Since you are an industry insider, you would benefit, from going to http://www.BOBSA.org. They will list you and your services on their website for free, you don't even have to be a memeber. They just want to "connect" the black dots in the industry so that other black people know where everyone is when they are looking for black owned business, salons, and stylists. Also they have BOBSA sponsered hair shows, and a lot of information on how you as an individual can get involved.

Stop supporting the Real Life Asian Black Beauty Supply Store Monopoly game. Visit http://www.BOBSA.org for more information on how you can be apart of this movement.

Current Slightly past neck

1st goal : SL
2nd goal: APL
3rd goal: BSL or longer

Using: Panteen Leave in Conditioner, Organics Hairr Mayo, Olive Oil, Cathy Howse Deep Conditioner, Jam and Shine Will start using Phyto Relaxer !!!

balisi said:
Candy, I'm with you on this. As an industry insider, I know I can make an even greater difference. Since becoming a licensed professional, I've been spending very few of my dollars at the Asian BSS. Out of habit, I would frequent the same store I've been patronizing for the last 10 years, especially since they know me and I could always find the mainstream products there. I never purchase the "professional" or salon products though, because sometimes they are counterfeit or old stock. I prefer to obtain professional products and tools directly from a licensed distributor, beauty supply store that is open only to licensed beauty professionals, professional trade shows and Sally Beauty.

All of this exposure to their unfair practices has really opened my eyes and I plan to do things differently not only at their stores, but also at all the hair shows I attend. Asians have a very strong presence at some of these shows, particularly the "bootleg" ones such as Bronner Bros. It is at these shows that the Asians sometimes obtain their stock of Mizani, for example. In so doing, they are able to take advantage of show deals and obtain greater discounts by purchasing large quantities.

I appreciate and applaud your efforts. Please know that they are not in vain.

Yellowflowers

I am so glad to finally learn what is going on. Things really hit home when I observed them boldly open up a store right next to Sally's. They tried to make thier prices a little cheaper.

I am a former beauticain and I was told by an economics professor that the reason they can offer cheaper prices is that the asian community uses only 1 buyer to buy for all of the hair stores in very huge quantities in order to get cheaper wholesale prices. Then they pass the cheaper prices on to our communities.

They are very united in thier efforts to monopolize the black hair care industry and profit from us while they look down thier noses at us. It make me sick.(Sorry to be so blunt)

Our people can do the same thing. We just need more knowledge and to realize our strength.

Last edited:
lil'paw said:
I do not buy anything from them>>beauty supplies or groceries..and I don't eat in their restaurants. They do not support us and they do not spend their money in our communities. Their products are substandard and the food they sell to us is garbage.
I have found a couple of on-line Black owned beauty supply stores to purchase my products. They may be a little more expensive with the shipping and all, but I feel it is important for us to support our people and INVEST in our own communities. :)
I also buy products from health food stores and occasionally Walmart or Target.

I agree. I stopped patronizing their BSS's months ago, after seeing that video on Youtube. I also forwarded the video to all the sisters I could think of. I made an effort to find black-owned BSS's in my area, and low and behold, I found one a few blocks away from me! I was so glad I took the time to find it. I'm glad you started this thread Candy, I always meant to compile a list of black-owned BSS's to distribute to family and friends, and friends of friends etc., but I never got around to it. I'm going to start doing it now. :scratchch Hmm...I think I'll send that video out again....

Also Candy, don't let the negative attitudes of some dissuade you. I applaud your efforts. Unfortunately, I think we will encounter a lot of negative attitudes regarding the boycott. I think a lot of black people like the idea of getting their products from non-blacks; I think it makes them feel accepted.IMO No other race would need convincing to start supporting their own kind. :perplexed

Candy1978

Thanks for the wrods of encouragment! I think it would be a great idea to send out that video link again. I know I did last night, I sent it to every black person I could think of. If you all know of any black beauty supply stores in your area or online, just list them here that way we can start actively supporting them. Also they have a listof Black owned Beauty Supply Stores on the website I keep telling you guys about http://www.BOBSA.org

Currently : just past neck
1st goal : SL
3rd goal : BSL or longer

chocolatesis said:
I agree. I stopped patronizing their BSS's months ago, after seeing that video on Youtube. I also forwarded the video to all the sisters I could think of. I made an effort to find black-owned BSS's in my area, and low and behold, I found one a few blocks away from me! I was so glad I took the time to find it. I'm glad you started this thread Candy, I always meant to compile a list of black-owned BSS's to distribute to family and friends, and friends of friends etc., but I never got around to it. I'm going to start doing it now. :scratchch Hmm...I think I'll send that video out again....

Also Candy, don't let the negative attitudes of some dissuade you. I applaud your efforts. Unfortunately, I think we will encounter a lot of negative attitudes regarding the boycott. I think a lot of black people like the idea of getting their products from non-blacks; I think it makes them feel accepted.IMO No other race would need convincing to start supporting their own kind. :perplexed

GirlywithCurlies

Candy, I always meant to compile a list of black-owned BSS's to distribute to family and friends, and friends of friends etc., but I never got around to it.

Not to hi-jack your thread Candy, but I think a list of this type really help the cause. If people know where black-owned shops are, they (hopefully) will be more inclined to shop there - and we could get rid of one more excuse.

I haven't graced an Asian BSS with my presence in a year and I don't plan to ever waste my $$$ there again.

Bosslady1

...wow...:eek:
Very Enlightening!
I buy most of my products from Bed, Bath & Beyond, Target or CVS. If they don't have it I buy it online.;)

malachi74

Candy1978 said:
I have read a more that a few threads in this forum and a few others, about the displeasure of the Asians controlling the black hair industry. There have been many comments about how people don't know what to do about the disrespect, and them monopolizing the industry. Well, I know. We need to hit them where it hurts. We didn't get the chance to ride at the front of the bus, because we were sitting with our hands under ours butts, and being passive. We did something about it. I'm planning on doing something about. I am going to (with a lot of help), start a nationwide Asian Beauty Supply Stor Boycott. We have to hit them in the pockets, to get them to understand that monopolizing is not ok, and that disrespecting people who spend billions of dollars on their stores is not ok. I'm sure that there are alternative vendors we can support during the boycott...

http://bobsa.org/index.php
is a website supposedly in support of Black-Owned Beauty Supply Stores if you are interested. They have a listing of some registered Black-Owned stores.

Last edited:

myco

My $.02 so far:

I looked at the drop down menu in the BOBSA online store and I've never heard of a lot of the products. The ones that I'm familiar with, I don't use.

Can they go directly to the companies who develop products so that they can offer more salon level/mainstream products? Mizani and Soft-Sheen Carson are actually owned by L'oreal. Keracare by Avlon, Deep Brilliance by Farouk, etc. Are they being shut-out by the actual companies as well? In a case of racial exclusion, I think they would have a better chance proving their case if they targeted the actual companies instead of a group of stores pooling their assets.

What about the products that are part of the AHBAI (sp) coalition. The AHBAI (sp) products are supposed to be certified black-owned companies. There has to be a way to make an end run around the distributors that the Korean stores use, especially with the AHBAI(sp)products. Does anyone know if BOBSA has any sort of plan to create a distribution network or asset pool of it's own to buy products?

I understand their mission, but I was also looking to see a fleshed out plan of how they will fill the vacuum left after breaking up the "Korean" monopoly. Sort of like what Bush forgot in Iraq: Winning the peace is just as important as winning the war.

DaBossOMe

Thanks for the link, malachi.

I strongly encourage all the LHCF ladies to check out the website, because we have more power than we realize in this particular matter.

Its not a question of how well or how badly we are treated in any one Asian-run BSS (of course you may be treated well in some stores, they want your money), but we can't afford to keep on deluding ourselves with that reasoning. These people wouldn't p** on us if we were on
fire unless we were holding a dollar bill in our hand.

Its OUR industry, ladies, our dollars blew it up. Lets take it back.

Candy1978

I am glad you want to help. Maybe you can come up with a list of some black beauty supply vendors in your area, and some online. I'm going to try and get atleast a few names later on this evening to post on this forum. I think you should defientely make a thread naming all the black owned beauty supply stores including online stores. It will help all of those trying to support the cause. - :yay: :band2:

4a/b
current length just past the neck
1st goal : Sl
3rd goal ; BSL or longer.

Products: Panteen Leave in Conditioner for damaged hair, Panteen 2 n 1 Shampoo Conditioner, Panteen Clarifying Shampoo, Panteen Conditioner for damaged hair, Organics Hair Mayo, Cathy Howse Deep Conditioner, Infusium 23 (sometimes) Olive Oil, Jam & Shine pomades, will be using Phyto next friday, will be my first time .....and will start Shapleys MTG!!!

GirlywithCurlies said:
Candy, I always meant to compile a list of black-owned BSS's to distribute to family and friends, and friends of friends etc., but I never got around to it.

Not to hi-jack your thread Candy, but I think a list of this type really help the cause. If people know where black-owned shops are, they (hopefully) will be more inclined to shop there - and we could get rid of one more excuse.

I haven't graced an Asian BSS with my presence in a year and I don't plan to ever waste my $$$ there again.

Candy1978

I spoke with Sam, the president of BOBSA (a very approchable guy), and he told me that they are currently helping those who want to open BOBSA Black owned beauty supply stores. That way when the official nationwide boycott is planned there will be Supply shops in place for people to shop at, both physical buildings, and online vendors. From what I understand, Asian make their own, sort of conterfit products, and just slap a Black face on the friont and sell it. Don't quote me on it, but I beleve that African Pride is one of them, but don't quote me on that. As far as a lawsuit, he did mention that the are heading in that direction, but they have to be very specific, but the biggest thing they need, is all of us (black community) not supporting them with our dollars and cents. As far as I'm concerend .1 cent spent with them is .1 cent too much. If you're interested in more specifics, just go on the website, and contact Sam. Also make sure to pass the word to every one you can think of. Tell them about Aron Ranen's Black Hair Documentery on http://www.youtube.com/watch? Because what could come as a result of us being united on this issue, could be bigger than anyone ever imagine, and I believe that we will all reap the benefits. I am personaly considering owning a BOBSA beauty supply store in the Orlando, FL area. That way I can give some of my proceeds, to school, and open after school mentoring programs or something like that. So I can give back to our community!

myco said:
My $.02 so far:

I looked at the drop down menu in the BOBSA online store and I've never heard of a lot of the products. The ones that I'm familiar with, I don't use.

Can they go directly to the companies who develop products so that they can offer more salon level/mainstream products? Mizani and Soft-Sheen Carson are actually owned by L'oreal. Keracare by Avlon, Deep Brilliance by Farouk, etc. Are they being shut-out by the actual companies as well? In a case of racial exclusion, I think they would have a better chance proving their case if they targeted the actual companies instead of a group of stores pooling their assets.

What about the products that are part of the AHBAI (sp) coalition. The AHBAI (sp) products are supposed to be certified black-owned companies. There has to be a way to make an end run around the distributors that the Korean stores use, especially with the AHBAI(sp)products. Does anyone know if BOBSA has any sort of plan to create a distribution network or asset pool of it's own to buy products?

I understand their mission, but I was also looking to see a fleshed out plan of how they will fill the vacuum left after breaking up the "Korean" monopoly. Sort of like what Bush forgot in Iraq: Winning the peace is just as important as winning the war.

GIRLIE

I STOPPED BUYING MY HAIR PRODUCTS AT ASIAN OWNED STORES A FEW MONTHS AGO WHEN I SAW THE CLIP ON YOUTUBE. I LIVE IN LONDON UK (SOUTH LONDON) AND THE ONLY BLACK OWNED HAIR STORE NEAR ME IS YINKA BODYLINE IN PECKHAM, SE LONDON. MAYBE SOME OF THE UK LADIES COULD POST THE LOCATION OF ANY BLACK OWNED BEAUTY SUPPLY STORE THEY KNOW, LONDON OR OTHERWISE. SOMETIMES IT DIFFICULT FOR ME TO GET TO YINKA IN PECKHAM BUT I DON'T KNOW OF ANY OTHER CLOSER TO WHERE I LIVE IN SW LONDON. BUT IT'S WORTH THE TRECK JUST TO KNOW THAT I AM SUPPORTING A BLACK OWNED ESTABLISHMENT, AND NOT LINING THE POCKETS OF PEOPLE WHO NEITHER LIKE OR RESPECT ME.

OH, I SHOULD HAVE MENTIONED, WE HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM IN THE UK WITH ASIANS OWNING ALMOST ALL THE HAIR SUPPLY STORES (IN LONDON ANYWAY NOT SURE ABOUT OTHER PARTS OF THE UK) I DON'T KNOW IF THE BLOCKING OF BLACK PEOPLE FROM BUYING FROM THE WHOLESALERS IS HAPPENING IN THE UK BUT I WOULDN'T BE SUPRISED IF IT WAS. AS THERE ARE SOOOO FEW BLACK OWNED HAIR STORES AROUND. THIS IS ONE HAIR CHALLENGE/PJ BAND WAGON WE SHOULD ALL BE JUMPING ON.

Studio_gal

GIRLIE said:
I STOPPED BUYING MY HAIR PRODUCTS AT ASIAN OWNED STORES A FEW MONTHS AGO WHEN I SAW THE CLIP ON YOUTUBE. I LIVE IN LONDON UK (SOUTH LONDON) AND THE ONLY BLACK OWNED HAIR STORE NEAR ME IS YINKA BODYLINE IN PECKHAM, SE LONDON. MAYBE SOME OF THE UK LADIES COULD POST THE LOCATION OF ANY BLACK OWNED BEAUTY SUPPLY STORE THEY KNOW, LONDON OR OTHERWISE. SOMETIMES IT DIFFICULT FOR ME TO GET TO YINKA IN PECKHAM BUT I DON'T KNOW OF ANY OTHER CLOSER TO WHERE I LIVE IN SW LONDON. BUT IT'S WORTH THE TRECK JUST TO KNOW THAT I AM SUPPORTING A BLACK OWNED ESTABLISHMENT, AND NOT LINING THE POCKETS OF PEOPLE WHO NEITHER LIKE OR RESPECT ME.

OH, I SHOULD HAVE MENTIONED, WE HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM IN THE UK WITH ASIANS OWNING ALMOST ALL THE HAIR SUPPLY STORES (IN LONDON ANYWAY NOT SURE ABOUT OTHER PARTS OF THE UK) I DON'T KNOW IF THE BLOCKING OF BLACK PEOPLE FROM BUYING FROM THE WHOLESALERS IS HAPPENING IN THE UK BUT I WOULDN'T BE SUPRISED IF IT WAS. AS THERE ARE SOOOO FEW BLACK OWNED HAIR STORES AROUND. THIS IS ONE HAIR CHALLENGE/PJ BAND WAGON WE SHOULD ALL BE JUMPING ON.

Hi Girlie :)
The only black-owned shops that I know of in SW London are Nubian Jack - who has a branch on Streatham High Road, saw another one in Croydon the other day and I've seen an African owned shop on Selkirk Road in Tooting Broadway. I too am trying to keep my eye out.

Last edited:

amwcah

LadyJay114,

You can purchase Keracare at JCPenny's Salon. Actually, they have a sale going on right now.

MzOptimistic

I agree, I went into a bss owned by asians and at first their Profective Healthy ends was $4.99. Well a couple of weeks ago it was $6.99...I'm like :eek: WTF...I have maybe 6 things on the counter and he rang it out to like $52 dollars or something to that nature. I said told him I didn't want it and the only thing that I got was some Motions CPR treatment because I needed it but now I buy all my things online:)

Candy1978

For the Ladies Living outside the States, I don't know how difficult is for you all to get certain products, or find Clack owned beauty supply vendors, but try shopping online (although shipping from the States to the UK is probably a pain). I wanted to mention that due to all the stir that this thread has caused, I was contacted by someone, who actually is going to try and raise money to start her own BOBSA online Beauty Supply Store. I have chosen to make a small finacial contribution to her. I feel as though if Asians, Caucasians, Hispanics, Indians, and Arabs, can help each other finacially then I'm going to do the same for my people, If anyone in here decides that they want to start an actual BOBSA Beauty Supply Store either online, or a physical store location in their area( http://www.BOBSA.org ) , I will help them out finacially with what I can, even if it's only a small amount. Actually I'm seriously considering opening one of my own. As long as us, black women are getting our hair done ( and yall know we will be getting our hair done,even on the day that we die, we will have our hair done) you will always have business. Keep of the good work ladies, and I will say this till I'm blue in the face. tell another Sista about it. My UK Sistas, tell all the Sistas there, about what we're trying to do in the States. We can make this a global movement. Some how saying that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside...lol Anyways

Don't shop at Asian Beauty Supply Stores. Stop Supporting the Real Life Asian Beauty Supply Store Monopoly Game. Keep the Multi Billion $$$$ Black Hair Business in the Black Community!!!!

Cocothekitten said:
The only black-owned shops that I know of in SW London are Nubian Jack - who has a branch on Streatham High Road, saw another one in Croydon the other day and I've seen an African owned shop on Selkirk Road in Tooting Broadway. I too am trying to keep my eye out.

LondonDiva

Cocothekitten said:

Thank the Lord for Nubian Jack on Thornton Heath high street opp the Tesco. The only thing I don't buy from them is Jergens body creme, the one I want is usually out so have to go to the indian man shop for it.

I've done with giving my money to the Indian man.

I buy my relaxer from Yinka in Peckham.

LondonDiva

Candy1978 said:
For the Ladies Living outside the States, I don't know how difficult is for you all to get certain products, or find Clack owned beauty supply vendors, but try shopping online (although shipping from the States to the UK is probably a pain). I wanted to mention that due to all the stir that this thread has caused, I was contacted by someone, who actually is going to try and raise money to start her own BOBSA online Beauty Supply Store. I have chosen to make a small finacial contribution to her. I feel as though if Asians, Caucasians, Hispanics, Indians, and Arabs, can help each other finacially then I'm going to do the same for my people, If anyone in here decides that they want to start an actual BOBSA Beauty Supply Store either online, or a physical store location in their area( http://www.BOBSA.org ) , I will help them out finacially with what I can, even if it's only a small amount. Actually I'm seriously considering opening one of my own. As long as us, black women are getting our hair done ( and yall know we will be getting our hair done,even on the day that we die, we will have our hair done) you will always have business. Keep of the good work ladies, and I will say this till I'm blue in the face. tell another Sista about it. My UK Sistas, tell all the Sistas there, about what we're trying to do in the States. We can make this a global movement. Some how saying that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside...lol Anyways

Don't shop at Asian Beauty Supply Stores. Stop Supporting the Real Life Asian Beauty Supply Store Monopoly Game. Keep the Multi Billion $$$$ Black Hair Business in the Black Community!!!!

Trust me I'm down for the Global Movement. This thread is really inspiring. Another thing to add to the list of business things to do. I've always wanted my own Black BSS. And one day I will.

Candy1978

If you really would like to make your own BSS contact http://www.BOBSA.org they can help you get started!!!

P.S. is your hair natural or relaxed? Your hair is beautiful

Don't Shop at Asian Beauty Supply Stores! Don't support the Real Life Asian BSS Monopoly game. Visit http://www.BOBSA.org on how you can play an important role in keeping the Multi BILLION $$$ Black Hair Business in the Black community!!!

LondonDiva said:
Trust me I'm down for the Global Movement. This thread is really inspiring. Another thing to add to the list of business things to do. I've always wanted my own Black BSS. And one day I will.

Healthb4Length

I've drastically cut down on spending money at the Asian BSS. I used to go every other week but I haven't gone in 6 months. I get most of my products online from black owned sites or black owned products. Its not much but it's my little way of trying to help out.

pattycake0701

I haven't supported a Koren-owned beauty supply shop in about 6 months (and I only went this time due to an emergency). I live in a mid-sized town in Ohio, and even though there are plenty of blacks, there is only one black-owned beauty supply stores that I know of (and its in a pretty rough neighborhood). One day I'll grow some balls and check it out. In the meantime, I purchase my products from Sallys, grocery and drug stores. My hair pieces, ponies and quick weaves I have purchased online from Goldenbeautymart and Paynes Beauty Supply.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Candy, I don't have time now, but I will be emailing you this evening. Even though this has been discussed quite a few times you have a right to again bring it to the forefront. Not everyone knew about what is being discussed in this thread as members are constantly coming and going. I believe this is important and I thank you for opening up the lines of communication. I missed that youtube video. Will look at that this evening. Keep your head up Candy. Not everyone here will appreciate you or what you are trying to do but some of us do!

Candy1978

Thank you Bre Bre. I feel stronger and more confident that we will when this battle when I hear things like that. Feel free to e-mail me, I will be looking for it this evening. The website to view Aron Ranen's Black Hair Documentery is http://www.youtube.com/watch? I also have the address to the first BOBSA online Beauty Supply Store. It's really nice, and they sell my Organics Hair Mayo, for the same price I it would take to go buy it and waste gas getting there. Plus they have Free shipping on all orders over $75 http://www.bobsabeautycalifornia.com check it out.

Remember! Don't Shop at Asian Beauty Supply Stores. Stop the Asian BSS Monopoly. Visit http://www.BOBSA.org to get more information on how Asian BSS's are black balling Blacks from the Black Hair business, and how you can help keep the MULTI BILLION $$$$ Black Hair Industry in the Black communities WORLD WIDE !!!!!

*Bre~Bre* said:
Candy, I don't have time now, but I will be emailing you this evening. Even though this has been discussed quite a few times you have a right to again bring it to the forefront. Not everyone knew about what is being discussed in this thread as members are constantly coming and going. I believe this is important and I thank you for opening up the lines of communication. I missed that youtube video. Will look at that this evening. Keep your head up Candy. Not everyone here will appreciate you or what you are trying to do but some of us do!

Candy1978

I just checked out http://www.bobsabeautycalifornia.com and they have a lot of products, they carry, Shine, African Pride, Organics, Soft & Beautiful, all types of relaxers, Aphogee Brand Line up, 911, Ampro, Creme Of Nature. A 32oz of Creme Of Nature is $3.49!! I think that's pretty good. Check it out they have wigs, and weave for ponytails, and curling irons and the whole nine, and more stuff than I can mention.:yay: :yay:

prettywhitty

The site was okay, some of the products were more expensive than what I've seen in Sally's or Target. I've seen YouTube, and I will continue not to patron Korean stores.