Asian Hair

H

honey_jammz82

I just saw in a post that Asian hair grows really fast.

Then it hit me...IT REALLY DOES!

I saw Michelle Kwan on The View today, and her hair is long and pretty. I remember a few years back her hair was in a short Halle Berry cut.

My girl who is Asian and black joined the Army and the last time I saw her, her hair was neck length. I see her 2.5 years later and her hair is waist length and GORGEOUS! She was like "it's no biggie"! I could not speak, it was amazing!

Is it just me? What is the deal? Can I get some Asian blood in me, lol!

brittanynic16

I don't think their hair grows faster than any other races' hair. Look at Jada pickett. I remember in quite a few movies her hair was short and we now see where it is. You said you have not seen your friend's hair in 2.5 years, that is a lot of time for hair to grow. In that amount of time the average person would grow about 15 inches. I don't know how tall your friend is but I is seems like that is a normal amount of growth to me.

Tammy

I feel ya honey. In the bldg. I work in, there's an Asian girl that works on a floor below me and at one point our hair was the same length, then I saw her a couple of months later and her hair was at least 3-4 inches longer than mine and I wanted to just cry because her grew, no prob and I'm sitting here trying to baby my hair and do all the right things and all I can get in a couple of months is an inch, maybe a little more. Asian hairgrowth astounds me!!

Boadicea

I think it may be in the diet.

Seafood is high in protein (seaweed alone has a lot in it) and Oleic acids as well as fatty acids which give hair shine and moisture and makes it full and supple.

Seafood such as swordfish, tuna, shark meat, seaweeds, etc. are eaten daily. Sometimes more often than beef and chicken, etc.

In some Asian cultures, they eat a lot of different types of beans (protein).

Also, many non-Western diets aren't so high in fat. The portions of food is also a lot smaller. Fresh fruits and vegetables are also on the menu more often than here.

As far as products go, the use of natural ingredients (White Camellia, Amla, Coconut, Sesame, Jojoba, Orange, Sweet Almond, Tangerine, etc.) are also used. These nourish the scalp and add strength to the hair.

Extracts of Lemon, Orange, Tangerine and Soap pod (Shikakai)are sometimes used to clean the hair more often than products that use SLS and ALS to clean the hair.

Protective styles show up with a slightly greater frequency as well. Some ladies don't do more than make a large braid and leave their hair like that until the next cleaning.

Have you asked your friend what her regimen, diet and exercise plan is?

H

honey_jammz82

[ QUOTE ]
Boadicea said:
I think it may be in the diet.

Seafood is high in protein (seaweed alone has a lot in it) and Oleic acids as well as fatty acids which give hair shine and moisture and makes it full and supple.

Seafood such as swordfish, tuna, shark meat, seaweeds, etc. are eaten daily. Sometimes more often than beef and chicken, etc.

In some Asian cultures, they eat a lot of different types of beans (protein).

Also, many non-Western diets aren't so high in fat. The portions of food is also a lot smaller. Fresh fruits and vegetables are also on the menu more often than here.

As far as products go, the use of natural ingredients (White Camellia, Amla, Coconut, Sesame, Jojoba, Orange, Sweet Almond, Tangerine, etc.) are also used. These nourish the scalp and add strength to the hair.

Extracts of Lemon, Orange, Tangerine and Soap pod (Shikakai)are sometimes used to clean the hair more often than products that use SLS and ALS to clean the hair.

Protective styles show up with a slightly greater frequency as well. Some ladies don't do more than make a large braid and leave their hair like that until the next cleaning.

Have you asked your friend what her regimen, diet and exercise plan is?

[/ QUOTE ]

That is true....I asked her and she does eat A LOT of sea food. She works out 2-3 times a week as well.
Since she was in the Army she wore her hair in a bun a lot as well.

Boadicea

I hate hate Hate seafood, but I know that fatty acids and protein are good for the body. I still can't look at a can of tuna without grimacing, but I may try to ease myself into eating it.

I work out three times a week and get enough sleep (8-10 hours), I drink 100oz. of water a day (20oz. bottle, 5 times a day), and while I'm not eating as healthily as I could, I drink V-8 to make up for it

YuNg

I don't know about alot of people on this board but if i had the opportunity to change my hair type to like a type 2 i would. I hate doing all this work with this "4z" hair type i have seeing no results.

Isis

When people grow up daily eating lots of essential fatty acids (like the omega 3 in seafood) and natural iodine found in seaweed and kelp, plus lots of fruits and veggies and soy foods for protein, and continue that regime throughout their lives, their hair, skin and whole body is going to be in great health. They will look younger too as they age. I believe we can all do this, if we choose to.

ms_kenesha

[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
When people grow up daily eating lots of essential fatty acids (like the omega 3 in seafood) and natural iodine found in seaweed and kelp, plus lots of fruits and veggies and soy foods for protein, and continue that regime throughout their lives, their hair, skin and whole body is going to be in great health. They will look younger too as they age. I believe we can all do this, if we choose to.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe this as well, but I'm not throwing out genetic reasons as well. I think genetically asian hair grows faster I'll do a search for more info. (other than the SLEF article I mentioned in another post) and post when I find it.

SweetNic_JA

[ QUOTE ]
honey_jammz82 said:

I saw Michelle Kwan on The View today, and her hair is long and pretty. I remember a few years back her hair was in a short Halle Berry cut.

My girl who is Asian and black joined the Army and the last time I saw her, her hair was neck length. I see her 2.5 years later and her hair is waist length and GORGEOUS! She was like "it's no biggie"! I could not speak, it was amazing!

[/ QUOTE ]

I notice the same with my Asian friends and associates. One of my friends from elementary+highschool would cut her hair to BS and it would be back down to her butt in a matter of months.

In junior year of college, there was this freshman from China. Her hair was about necklength at the start of the fall semester. By the end of the spring semester her hair was inches beyond BS.

One of my Chinese co-workers cut her hair to shoulder-length about 1 month ago. I 'm curious to see how fast she'll have her length back.

I think it goes way beyond their diet. It's definitely genetic and I believe those genes were influenced by a lonnnnnng history of eating all the right meals and living in the eastern EurAsian climate. So even if we start eating these things religiously, we wouldn't see the ultimate benefits until many many generations from now.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
In Philip Kingsley's "Hair Bible" he says pretty much the same thing. Asian hair grows at the same rate as everyone else--approx 1/2" /mo--but their growth cycle lasts up to 9 yrs!
That's almost twice as long as blacks and caucasians! The long growth cycle also means their hair sheds less than everyone else's, too.

Boadicea

I've found when I do take supplements of the things found in seafoods, my hair is all the better for it, with lasting results. However, I hate taking supplements so I don't do it even though I know that my hair will thank me for it.

But there are also things in Eastern diets that aren't good for the hair (or skin or overall health of the body) such as high sodium.

christina

Thanks for that info sassygirl. I've recently started looking into supplements that could lengthen the cycle of my hairs growing phase and also halt shedding.

YuNg, be patient. Your hairtype is just coiled tighter than say a type 2 person. But I have seen many men with type 4 hair and their hair is thick, strong, and beautiful! And I know they aren't taking supplements, using half the hair products we use on this board, and I sure 'nuf know they aren't wearing buns.
Don't worry, all your hardwork will pay off in the end.

WaterMoccasin

[ QUOTE ]
honey_jammz82 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

In both these cases, it's been years. That's pretty normal. My hair was shoulder-length after a halle berry haircut after a year (twice I did this) and if it stayed on track and didn't break so much, it would be a lil past bra-strap after another year and in another, waist....

Ayeshia

[ QUOTE ]
BahamaMama said:
[ QUOTE ]
honey_jammz82 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

In both these cases, it's been years. That's pretty normal. My hair was shoulder-length after a halle berry haircut after a year (twice I did this) and if it stayed on track and didn't break so much, it would be a lil past bra-strap after another year and in another, waist....

[/ QUOTE ]

Plus all of my asian friends that I know are 5'0 and under. So their neck isnt far from their waist anyway. If you prolly but her head with brastrap hair on my body, it would be shoulder length or a lil longer on me.

But others maybe an exception and their hair really does grow fast.

melodee

It appears to grow fast because it is very straight and because Asian hair has a longer life(before it sheds itself), so the hair gets the chance to grow longer before it's replaced.

Bobbie

[ QUOTE ]
sassygirl125 said:
In Philip Kingsley's "Hair Bible" he says pretty much the same thing. Asian hair grows at the same rate as everyone else--approx 1/2" /mo--but their growth cycle lasts up to 9 yrs!
That's almost twice as long as blacks and caucasians! The long growth cycle also means their hair sheds less than everyone else's, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I wouldn't say it's the growth rate that's different, more like the growth cycle. Shedding rates also depend on your growth cycle. People of Asian ancestry live in a more humid climate than those of African descent. It makes sense that their adaptation to the moist climate also shows up in their hair.
We are of African descent from drier climates. Adaptively, are hair would be much curlier and have shorter growth cycles.

chewy

Asian hair is rather long and luxurious when the women are young however, I've noticed as many of them age (50's and up) their hair becomes extremely thin and wispy with bald spots.

christina

Chewy you are so right. I've noticed this characteristic about Asian hair too. I can guess, but I really would like to know precisely why this is.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
Now Asia is a very big place, and I've seen extremely long (below waist) hair on Asian people from different parts of Asia. Also, they don't eat the same foods all over Asia. I visited India a long time ago and I was astonished every single day from the beautiful heads of hair I saw there! I believe that Asian hair is very thick (the individual strands) and that helps keeping the hair from breaking off. In addition to that I believe what someone said about them having a longer growth cycle than other people. But one important factor, at least with Indian women in India, is that they don't do anything bad to their hair. They don't dye, they don't perm, they don't wear it out, they just wear it in a long braid from childhood and oil it everyday. If we had done that, I can guarantee that our hair would be longer than it is now. But the boring thing is that most of them wear the same style of hair.

Nonie

I too believe Asian hair just has the characteristics to grow long, be it due to its thickness, chemical structure or growth cycle. Below is what The Trichological Society says:

[ QUOTE ]
Hair Density, Numbers of Hairs, Rate of growth
The average human scalp measures approximately 120 sq. inches (770 sq.cm).
The hair covering varies numerically according to hair colour and ethnicity.

Caucasian hair type: The figures quoted are based on research published by Drs. Erasmus Wilson, Withof & Stelwagon in the nineteenth century and are therefore in inches.
Blonde 146000 hairs, diameter measuring 1/1500th - 1/500th in.
Black 110000 hairs, diameter measuring 1/400th - 1/250th in.
Brunettes 100000 hairs, diameter infinitely variable
Titian (Red 86000 hairs, diameter infinitely variable

Afro hair type: Colour is predominately black. Hairshafts are multi helixal with a wool-like character. Healthy individuals possess between 50000-110000 scalp hairs.

Mongolian (Asian) hair type: Possessed by the greatest numbers of people worldwide. Hairshafts are predominately straight. Colour is predominately black. Regional variations exist, but healthy individuals possess an estimated 80000-140000 scalp hairs.

Rate of growth
Normal Caucasian hair growth rate is 1-2 cm per month. Researchers have shown that this rate of growth may reduce beyond the length of approx. 27cm. Afro-Caribbean hair growth rate is approximately half that of Caucasian, and due to the fragility of their multi-helixal structure, rarely attain great length. Asian hair-shafts grow rapidly exceeding the average for Caucasians and may attain great length.

In the majority of humans, terminal hair is straight and is circular in cross section - such hair-shafts having emerged from host follicles with similar characteristics. If however, due to genetic factors or skin injury the follicle is:

<ul type="square">Of a spiral or zigzag structure; the hair-shaft will emerge in conformity and exhibit appropriate helices. This is demonstrated by many with the Afro-Caribbean type hair, and also occasionally as a result of pressure employed during multiple hair follicle transplantation surgery.

Naturally flattened, imperfect, oval or kidney shape; the hair-shaft will emerge exhibiting waves/curls of appropriately varying degree. Numerous factors incidental to natural healthy life can influence hair formation. Other aberrations may result from ill health, drug therapy and ageing etc. [/list]

[/ QUOTE ]

katie

Why are they saying Afro-Caribbean instead of just black?Is Afro-Caribbean hair different from other black people's?

Ipanema

[ QUOTE ]
FlowerHair said:
But one important factor, at least with Indian women in India, is that they don't do anything bad to their hair. They don't dye, they don't perm, they don't wear it out, they just wear it in a long braid from childhood and oil it everyday. If we had done that, I can guarantee that our hair would be longer than it is now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. We do a lot more to our hair--braiding, heat styling, rollersetting, chemical applications, etc. I think this is why our hair appears to grow so much slower. There's also the shrinkage factor. At the Asian beauty supply I go to, a lot of the older Asian women have short, thin-looking hair because it's dyed &amp; fried.

ms_kenesha

It is quite obvious that no particular ethnic group has any advantages when it comes to hair. On the other hand, each group can be associated with a certain type of hair, easily identifiable by its colour and form, but also by something less obvious to the naked eye - the way it grows.

Classifying hair into no more than three ethnic types - African, Asian, or Caucasian - might seem an exaggerated simplification. But it is true that Japanese hair is not the same as Indonesian hair and, even more obvious, Scottish hair has no resemblance to Swedish hair or Sicilian hair. However, these are only small differences in comparison with the similarities that each ethnic group has in general terms. Whether it is a question of the hair's density, speed of growth or the implantation of the hair follicle in the scalp, we can consider that each of the ethnic types mentioned above has its own identity.
For example, Asian hair holds the speed record for growth with 1.3 cm a month. On the other hand, it has lower density than any of the other ethnic groups. The way its follicle is implanted causes the hair to grow straight, perpendicular to the scalp.

African hair is the slowest growing of all, at less than 0.9 cm a month. On the other hand it is slightly more dense than Asian hair and grows almost parallel to the scalp, twisting around itself as it grows.

As far as rate of growth is concerned, Caucasian hair comes between the other two at 1.2 cm a month, but it has the highest density of all. It grows at an oblique angle to the scalp and is slightly curved.

Note: This study was done by shaving hair and measuring the growth in the different races, this is how they were able to determine hair growth minus any of the other issues like heat &amp; handeling of the hair.

Source:Loreal http://www.loreal.com/loreal-hair-science/us/vivre/ailleurs.asp

Ipanema

Those photos in that link are gross.
Also, I still don't believe black hair grows slower than other races. I think the way it coils disguises the length.

ms_kenesha

I'm sure for a scientific study they measured the hair in it's uncoiled link.
It's not hard for me to believe the results.

ccd

[ QUOTE ]
katie said:
Why are they saying Afro-Caribbean instead of just black?Is Afro-Caribbean hair different from other black people's?

[/ QUOTE ]

not sure why they mention A Caribbean specifically but, perhaps they are taking into account many of the variations that exist due to the multitudes of combinations you find in the Carib...with African people and Spanish/French/Portugeuese, all of the "explorers/settlers" invaders really and with Native Americans
...The African nations have been bombarded by different cultures (with the exception of Native Am.) so there are varieties...

however, why would they just mention "Afro-Caribs" and not people of African descent? not sure......