Asian people and Black Hair Cutting?

BeautifulFlower

I was telling my co-workers that I am looking for someone to cut/trim my hair in the next few weeks but I am deathly afraid because I have not been to a stylist in almost 4 years. The reason I stopped is because they cut too much and relax too straight.

She suggested going to an Asian stylist at a place like Hair Cuttery and getting a hair cut. She had a point. Asian people are less likely to be jealous of your length and will not cut all your length off.

Has anyone been to an Asian stylist and had good results?

EllePixie

Um. I've only had my hair done by an Asian woman a couple of times and both times were HORRIBLE. The first cut was super uneven and looked like caliente basura...second time she didn't cut my hair, just flat ironed it, and I had to call the salon from my car and tell them they needed to let me come back in so someone could redo my hair.

Obviously this is more their skill level than race, but uhhh...if I can help it, never again.

BraunSugar

second time she didn't cut my hair, just flat ironed it, and I had to call the salon from my car and tell them they needed to let me come back in so someone could redo my hair.

**dead**

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using T-Mobile myTouch 3G

bellesocialite

I got an Asian woman at Hair Cuttery to give me a nice hair cut. She asked me a lot of questions and made sure I would be ok with the length she was going to cut to.

Regardless of race, make it crystal clear what you want your hair to look like.

Honey Bee

I was telling my co-workers that I am looking for someone to cut/trim my hair in the next few weeks but I am deathly afraid because I have not been to a stylist in almost 4 years. The reason I stopped is because they cut too much and relax too straight.

She suggested going to an Asian stylist at a place like Hair Cuttery and getting a hair cut. She had a point. Asian people are less likely to be jealous of your length and will not cut all your length off.

YES! And I only saw her once. She went back to Malaysia. :cry3:

But that cut! It had swang, movement, everything! It was so random, too, cuz I wasn't even planning a cut. We were just shopping in Chinatown, and something made me give them a chance. I was just a teenager, and neither my mom nor I were confident about it, but for some reason, I let her put scissors to my head, and it came out beautifully. :gorgeous:

shunemite

I have not had an Asian lady cut my hair, but I have gone to several chain places like "Supercuts" or "Hair Cuttery" for a dry trim (not style, layers, or anything, just a blunt trim). I LOVE it. They always have me facing the mirror, and before even using the scissors they ask me how much I want cut. Also, if for example, my hair cut has an angled shape, they will ask me if I want to keep it that way or have it straightened. It's always a dry cut; I don't get anything extra like a shampoo or blow dry.

Now as far as jealousy, Idk if that's why some stylists cut off too much, but unfortunately it is a trend after a relaxer where some will over trim.

Just wanted to add if you want a style like layers, I'm not sure if those chain places would do a good job. I've never had that done.

Solitude

When my son was in between barbers, I took him to an Asian shop. They cut men's hair of all races (and some women). They did fine, but they couldn't do an edge-up as clean as an AA barber.

Your Cheeziness

The best haircut I got in my entire life was from a white stylist at Aveda. I think race is irrelevant. Skill is what matters. You can go to the shop and observe them for a quick bit or ask about their experience with relaxed hair. If you're not comfy, you can go somewhere else.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
The best haircut I got in my entire life was from a white stylist at Aveda. I think race is irrelevant. Skill is what matters. You can go to the shop and observe them for a quick bit or ask about their experience with relaxed hair. If you're not comfy, you can go somewhere else.

Definitely co-sign here.

I selected my current stylist because I needed someone with skill to cut and color my hair with skill AND respect my wishes. As it turns out, she is white.

My only caution is, know WHAT you need from the stylist. I selected this recent one because all I really needed from her was cut/trimming skills and coloring services. She isn't really able to handle the styling aspect of my hair which was perfectly fine with me (I self-style anyway). BUT, she was willing to try my suggestions which was a BIG plus.

BeautifulRoots

I have not had an Asian lady cut my hair, but I have gone to several chain places like "Supercuts" or "Hair Cuttery" for a dry trim (not style, layers, or anything, just a blunt trim). I LOVE it. They always have me facing the mirror, and before even using the scissors they ask me how much I want cut. Also, if for example, my hair cut has an angled shape, they will ask me if I want to keep it that way or have it straightened. It's always a dry cut; I don't get anything extra like a shampoo or blow dry.

Now as far as jealousy, Idk if that's why some stylists cut off too much, but unfortunately it is a trend after a relaxer where some will over trim.

Just wanted to add if you want a style like layers, I'm not sure if those chain places would do a good job. I've never had that done.

Agreed. I usually go to a chain place like supercuts to get dry hair cuts and I'm happy with them every time. If I say "cut two inches", they cut two inches, simple as that. But yea, it just depends on the individual person you get to do the cut verses salon, race, etc.

Aireen

Everyone I know says Asians cut a lot of hair off regardless of how much you tell them to cut initially. So I don't get your friends quote lol. :lol:

shunemite

This thread is reminding me of the stylist on "What not to Wear" I think his name was Nickarojo (is he still there? Idk haven't seen the show in a while), but he used to do some pretty fly hair cuts on everybody. Only time he jacked up a sister's hair was a chick who was natural and had twists and he really jacked it up. But he used to do some really fly hair that made me want to pay him the $500 to do my hair.

dannie

I had an asain girl cut my hair to blend my new clip-ins's in back in Feb. She did a really good job, turned the chair around and handed me a mirror so I could see exactly what she would cut.

It turned out really good. My only grip was she was a little too...anti-scissor happy in the front because I wanted layers around my face and she didn't cut them deep enough for my liking. I would have had her cut more, but I was like, let me not push my luck. :lol:

But then, she told me she gave me a "slight" layer in the back. I was irritated because my hair with out clip-in's isn't that thick (which is why I wear them) and I was scared it was going to look too thin, but after I got home and took out the clip-in's I really couldn't tell.

Last edited:

LaughingOctopus

I had the cutest angle bob when I was relaxed cut by an asian woman. A lot of people don't realize that they have coarse hair as well and get chemical straighteners so I guess they don't really get befuddled by the thickness. Thats all. However, even though this lady gave me the flyyest haircut I've ever had, she was confused by my dandruff.

niqu92

like 3months ago i went to get my hair trimmed at greatclips and the stylist who did my hair was an asian lady. i hadnt had a trim in foreeever so my ends were not in the best shape. I told her i wanted a trim and she did exactly what i said, she was very precise. While she was trimming she told me that my ends werent in good shape and it would be better if i got 1-2 inches cut so i can have fresh ends. I knew she was right so i let her cut 2 inches and it turned out really nice!since then ive been going to her for my trims

her granddaughter is half black so she tells me shes "used" to black hair lol

brooklyngal73

SteelyDan/DonaldFagenFan!
Nope, he's not there anymore (thank goodness!); Ted Gibson's the new WNTW stylist.

Nick always wanted to cut everyone's hair short and/or in a bob. Even if the hair was healthy, he chopped it off. :down:

This thread is reminding me of the stylist on "What not to Wear" I think his name was Nickarojo (is he still there? Idk haven't seen the show in a while), but he used to do some pretty fly hair cuts on everybody. Only time he jacked up a sister's hair was a chick who was natural and had twists and he really jacked it up. But he used to do some really fly hair that made me want to pay him the $500 to do my hair.

I think there will be good and bad stylists where ever you go. Maybe you should look into having a consultation before your appointment? I can understand your concerns though; your hair is beautiful :yep:

Nope, he's not there anymore (thank goodness!); Ted Gibson's the new WNTW stylist.

Nick always wanted to cut everyone's hair short and/or in a bob. Even if the hair was healthy, he chopped it off. :down:

[lane swerve]Yes! That used to drive me crazy. And he'd trick people by saying "you'll look so much younger" or "your hair is like a security blanket. It's time to let go." And I always hated that whenever he jacked people's hair up he'd say, "you just need time to adjust." And then Carmindy would be there waiting for the people and trying to tell them that their new haircut looked nice. Hmph![/lane swerve]

shunemite

YaniraNaturally Yes! That used to drive me crazy. And he'd trick people by saying "you'll look so much younger" or "your hair is like a security blanket. It's time to let go." And I always hated that whenever he jacked people's hair up he'd say said:
[/SIZE][/FONT]
brooklyngal73 and YaniraNaturally so he DID get chopped?!! Nickarojo :ohwell: My bff could NOT stand him, she has very long hair. I loved his bobs so we would argue back and forth. We're in a recession and so I have limited cable, one of the channels I lost was TLC.

newbeginnings2010

I'm 100% sure that race has nothing to do with it. I notice that ANY stylist at Hair Cuttery seems to be less scissor happy than average salons. They are a large business and they have money to make. They can't afford to hire people willy nilly that aren't going to listen to their customers. I think they would let them go pretty quickly. Even their black SHS tend to be less heavy-handed than the average in my experience. Of course, there are always those that fall through the cracks.

I've always thought that their hair practices are better than little small-business salons. That's probably why small-business salons only have that small business and rarely open up more than one shop.

India*32

My stylists which are sisters have been cutting, coloring, and styling my hair for years. I usually wear my hair cut in a classic bob, My stylist daughter tells her mom to only cut 1/2, therefore, for me it will require trimming 1/4 inch. The stylists both understand I'm growing my hair out. The only thing they don't do is relax. Otherwise, I'm very confident and love the way my hair is growing nice and healthy. Thanks to great information learned from LHCF.:yep:

India

Keen

So are you saying non-Asian stylist cut a lot of you hair because they are Jealous of your lenght? I never realized that. I thought it's because a fresh cut looks nice to many people and many believe that cutting your hair will make it grow faster.

hair4romheaven

No experience with asian stylist, but go in with a length check t shirt and show how much u want cut, while holding a mirror to guide her.
Hth

BeautifulFlower

So are you saying non-Asian stylist cut a lot of you hair because they are Jealous of your lenght? I never realized that. I thought it's because a fresh cut looks nice to many people and many believe that cutting your hair will make it grow faster.

No, she was saying some black stylist will cut your length off in jealousy. I have heard that so many times on this board. Ive never experienced it but I don't wanna start now.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

krissyprissy

Yes, I used to get my hair cut by an Asian lady at Fantastic Sams. I was very pleased with her and she never cut to much. My hair grew to BSL with her until I moved away and everything went down hill.