Asian vs. Middle Eastern BSS

First off, I'm not sure of the proper term to refer to people who look to be of Middle Eastern descent, I would hate to offend anyone.

This past week I've had bad experiences at Asian BSS. I'm tired of them disrespecting their customers by fussing in THEIR language. They will no longer be getting my money.

There are a few Black BSS around, but they are spread too far apart, some don't sell certain products to the general public without a license, or they just don't have a variety. But I will still buy from them when I can.

Other than that I will get what products I can from Sally's, Walmart, Target, Walgreens, Rite Aid, etc...But it just isn't enough

There are a few Middle Eastern owned BSS around here, and they have a great variety. The ones I have been to offer better customer service than the Asian, though do not compare to black BSS. I'm not sure if I should continue to buy from them though. I feel guilty when I can't support my brothers and sisters.

For those who have experienced both types of BSS, do you find that one, both, or neither displays better customer service? I know that it should be based on a store to store basis, but I'm confused. Are the wholesalers only selling to the Asian and Middle Easterners and denying Black Owned Businesses from buying from them? I wish more black BSS would open up around here, but I know it's harder for them to get their hands on the products.

How do you feel about Asian BSS vs. Middle Eastern BSS?

ChoKitty

For me, I've never really seen an issue with either. Out of all three, they have been equal. Some give bad business, and some don't. I try not to judge them based on who owns them..but by what they have to offer and how that individual store treated me. I've had bad experience in stores owned by all three. With the language thing, I've gone into both and had them use their own language when talking to each other..and I've gone into black owned supply stores and had them using completely unprofessional language and mannerism too. The way you speak really IS important in a BUSINESS setting. So, I guess for me its really a tie for all three. But that's just how it is where I am.

gymfreak336

There is Middle Eastern BSS here that I love. They stay open late and will order something if they don't have it. I usually shop there because they have the best selection and fair prices. I have gotten better customer service there compared to some asian ones.

Babygurl

There is Middle Eastern BSS here that I love. They stay open late and will order something if they don't have it. I usually shop there because they have the best selection and fair prices. I have gotten better customer service there compared to some asian ones.

I agree, the customer service at one of the Middle Eastern BSS here is second to none, I love it and stopped going to the Asian BSS long ago.

I might continue to go to the Middle Eastern BSS then. A few have maybe one black employee to help customers find what they need. It's hard for me to explain what I need to the Asian BSS owners sometimes.

beana

I think the reason black BSS dont sell "salon" products to the general public, is because they are actually held liable by these companies and risk loosing their distributor license if they sell to non-licensed people. I stopped shopping at Asian Bss a loonnggg time ago, i cant stand the surveillance/customer service.

nikkablue

I generally shop at black owed BSS's or Mid-East BSS's as the customer service is Waaayyy better. I also want to support black owned businesses but it is hard to find them. With Mid-East BSS's, I have found that, they are friendly and helpful and don't follow you around like you're going to steal something. They also will hire black employees which I have yet to see an asian BSS do.

nikkablue

In regards to the whole sellers. Alot of the whole sellers are asian owned and won't sell to black owned businesses.

pear

Sorry for the rant....BUT

I would prefer not to buy my products from the Asian beauty supply stores but there are not a lot of options near me. I won't stereotype all Asian establishments BUT I will say that I have had bad experiences at several of my local stores. Often they will look at you (without saying hello) when you walk in the store or will just completely ignore you. Then when you realize that you are not going to be helped and you proceed walking through the store to look for the stuff yourself, all of a sudden they begin to stock the shelves/dust the shelves/check the shelves in every single area that you go (I'm not stupid...I know that you are following me to make sure that I don't steal anything).

I also don't care for the fact that they start speaking their language in my presence. I just think that it is kind of rude. You may not be talking about me at all but I don't know that for sure if I can't understand your language.

On the flip side, there was a Black owned beauty supply that opened right up the street from my house but they closed after only staying in business for what seemed to be a few months. This is no lie...on two different occasions I went to their store in the middle of the day and the store was closed. As I was walking away, a brother at the hair salon next door approached me and said that the store would re-open in an hour or two because the owner was having drama with her man and had to go get her kids :nono:. This was the response I was given BOTH times that I tried to go to this store.

I will support anyone regardless of their race/ethnicity as long as they treat me like they value my business. I am going to have to figure out something because I am tired of giving people my hard earned money when they don't deserve it.

Last edited:

karezone

I shop at a the Middle Eastern owned BSS more often than at the Asian owned. It is really close to my job(7 min walk) and they are very polite. I have never been treated well in the Asian BSS's, so I stick to Sally's, Wal-mart, online shopping (Paynes), and the ME BSS for supplies.

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
Since I went natural and am avoiding parabens, most of the things I buy cant be found in a BSS. I still like to browse tho and look for hair accessories and I still check ingredients on the off chance I will find something good. (product junkie keeping hope alive!! :D)I went to one owned by someone whom I suppose is from the middle east because theirs is the ONLY store were I can find the blue fantasia ic gel. Everyone else just carries the clear or on occassion the pink. The gentleman is an older gentleman, very nice and helpful and very friendly and respectful. He is always alone when I go there. I dont know of any other stores owned by middle eastern folx. We have a ton of asian shops, and sallys of course.

Evazhair

I have had both good and bad experiences at Asian BSS. I hate being treated as if I am going to steal. The bad one was in Silver Spring. They didn't act crazy, they just had an Ethiopian girl working in there. I was scoping for Dominican Products. She kept following me around and when she finally asked if she could help me find anything, she couldn't understand the word "dominican", and it turned me off. I finished checking every aisle and left. I decided I wouldn't be going back. There are plenty of Asian and Middle Eastern owned BSS in the area who give good customer service. I believe in supporting Black businesses, but I refuse to be financially raped for products (I am a bargain hunter) or buy some products that will do nothing for me because they are sold by my people.