At prayer breakfast, Obama says Christian faith guides his policies

TeeWhyAre

President Obama used an appearance at the National Prayer Breakfast on Thursday to reaffirm his faith at a time when Republican critics have accused him of a “war on religion,” telling an audience of religious leaders that his policies are grounded in his Christian beliefs.

Obama, speaking to 3,000 people at the Washington Hilton, used passages from the Bible to make the case that his push for a more equitable economy is rooted in a long-honored value system. And he suggested that his proposal to increase taxes on wealthier Americans is consistent with the teachings of Jesus

“For me, as a Christian, it also coincides with Jesus’s teaching that ‘for unto whom much is given, much shall be required,’ ” Obama said. “It mirrors the Islamic belief that those who’ve been blessed have an obligation to use those blessings to help others, or the Jewish doctrine of moderation and consideration for others.”

As he has done in recent speeches, Obama emphasized that theme of economic fairness, aiming to draw a contrast with Republican presidential frontrunner Mitt Romney. The former Massachusetts governor caused a stir Wednesday when he said in a CNN interview that he was “not concerned about the very poor” because they have a safety net in place.

“I know that far too many neighbors in our country have been hurt and treated unfairly over the last few years, and I believe in God’s command to ‘love thy neighbor as thyself,’” Obama said. “I know the version of that Golden Rule is found in every major religion and every set of beliefs -– from Hinduism to Islam to Judaism to the writings of Plato.”

Obama’s administration has been under fire from Catholic leaders and Republican presidential candidates for its decision to require religious organizations, other than churches, to abide by new rules mandated by the Affordable Care Act to pay health-care insurers to cover contraception for women. At a rally Tuesday night, GOP presidential candidate Newt Gingrich said Obama was “declaring war on the Catholic Church.”

The president did not directly address those critics during the prayer breakfast. But on the White House blog Wednesday evening, Cecilia Munoz, the director of the Domestic Policy Council, defended the policy. Munoz noted that most Catholic women have used contraception and that 28 states already require contraception coverage.

“The Obama Administration is committed to both respecting religious beliefs and increasing access to important preventive services,” Munoz wrote. “And as we move forward, our strong partnerships with religious organizations will continue.”

During his remarks, Obama encouraged those attending to pursue their values and common ground “with respect for each other.”

“I have to say that sometimes we talk about respect, but we don’t act with respect towards each other during the course of these debates,” he said.

The president also recounted his own path to faith after growing up in a household “that wasn’t particularly religious.” He said he begins each morning with a prayer, and he concluded with a personal anecdote about a day when, while vacationing as president in North Carolina, he made a pilgrimage to a mountaintop retreat to visit the Rev. Billy Graham, who was 91 years old at the time.

Graham prayed for Obama, the president recalled, and then Obama returned the favor.

“I didn’t really know what to say,” Obama said. “What do you pray for when it comes to the man who has prayed for so many? But like that verse in Romans, the Holy Spirit interceded when I didn’t know quite what to say. And so I prayed — briefly, but I prayed from the heart.”

He added: “I have fallen on my knees with great regularity since that moment — asking God for guidance not just in my personal life and my Christian walk, but in the life of this nation and in the values that hold us together and keep us strong.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...cies/2012/02/02/gIQAzNyakQ_story.html?hpid=z1

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member

LucieLoo12

Exactly! everyone have faith! Even athiests have faith, the question is what kind of faith is it? Faith is just to believe in something.

Shimmie

Staff member

Girl, you come up with some good gifs. What's your source?

Nice & Wavy has some good sources as well.

I need 'gif' lessons. :lol:

BTW: I want to thank you and Iwanthealthyhair67 for catching me when I fell out in my post upwards. :lol:

God did not tell that man to repeal 'DOMA' (the Defense of Marriage Act'), neither 'DADT' (Don't ask don't tell). I'm just saying... :nono:

aribell

formerly nicola.kirwan
Obama isn't any different than any other American citizen. His views are completely consistent with what you would find walking into most mainline Protestant churches. I don't think it matters what anyone's self-profession is--what they support is either right or it is not.

Christians allow themselves to be too easily manipulated by politicians waving a "God" flag

Shimmie

Staff member
Obama isn't any different than any other American citizen. His views are completely consistent with what you would find walking into most mainline Protestant churches. I don't think it matters what anyone's self-profession is--what they support is either right or it is not.

Christians allow themselves to be too easily manipulated by politicians waving a "God" flag

This is so true. I wanted to believe that President Obama would be different. I knew he wasn't, but I wanted to believe otherwise.

He's just a smooth talker... and I fell for it :love4:

All the more to grow closer to God and to sharpen and take heed to my discerning skills. I knew... I really did. I knew. But who wanted to vote for McCain? :lol: He was not smooth at all. Wrinkles and blimpies everywhere.

LucieLoo12

I think alot of people liked Obama because he was black and everyone was excited about the "first" black president.....they didnt care what he believed in :look:

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
There is hope for Obama. God instructs us to pray for government leaders..it's our prayers that influence. Daniel prayed for his kings and despite them being ungodly kings, their lives were changed because of Daniel's prayers, and they recognized the God he serves because of them. For Nebuchaddnezzer, it took a minute..but he got it. :lol:

I exhort therefore, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercessions, and givings of thanks, be made for all men: for kings and all who are in high places; that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and reverence. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior; who desires all people to be saved and come to full knowledge of the truth." 1 Timothy 2:1-4.

Shimmie

Staff member
There is hope for Obama. God instructs us to pray for government leaders..it's our prayers that influence. Daniel prayed for his kings and despite them being ungodly kings, their lives were changed because of Daniel's prayers, and they recognized the God he serves because of them. For Nebuchaddnezzer, it took a minute..but he got it. :lol:

I exhort therefore, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercessions, and givings of thanks, be made for all men: for kings and all who are in high places; that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and reverence. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior; who desires all people to be saved and come to full knowledge of the truth." 1 Timothy 2:1-4.

Yeah, after living in the woods like an animal. No cable, no dancing dollies, no cooked food. I guess ole Nebbie kenzer did straighten up. None too soon. :lol:

joy2day

This is so true. I wanted to believe that President Obama would be different. I knew he wasn't, but I wanted to believe otherwise.

He's just a smooth talker... and I fell for it :love4:

All the more to grow closer to God and to sharpen and take heed to my discerning skills. I knew... I really did. I knew. But who wanted to vote for McCain? :lol: He was not smooth at all. Wrinkles and blimpies everywhere.

Ummm at the bolded Ms. Shimmie!:lachen:

But you're right. I fell for the okie doke too. And I am still praying that somehow, Obama turns it around. 'Cause really, it looks like he will get a 2nd term, the Repubs ain't looking to good these days.

TraciChanel

Laela said:

I couldn't agree more. It's so easy to criticize Obama or any other person in power for that matter. The best thing to do is to pray for our leaders. Prayer affords change.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Shimmie

Staff member
Ummm at the bolded Ms. Shimmie!:lachen:

But you're right. I fell for the okie doke too. And I am still praying that somehow, Obama turns it around. 'Cause really, it looks like he will get a 2nd term, the Repubs ain't looking to good these days.

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Now you know good and well that he was not a good looking man. :look:

And adding Sarah Palin to the wrinkled mess. Her voice had such a 'shrill' to it. Shudder...

Slim pickin's ... totally slim pickins... :lol:

Shimmie

Staff member

I couldn't agree more. It's so easy to criticize Obama or any other person in power for that matter. The best thing to do is to pray for our leaders. Prayer affords change.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Yall' let that Black Man 'woo' you. :lol:

He 'killed ' DOMA ... :jaws:

But he 'wooed' me too. :love2:

I know how to get him too since he says he prays. :yep: He's going to have to live up to that. God is not mocked. Since he's claiming Christianity, then he has to live by it... ALL THE WAY. Not after the White House but now. He will have to repeal all of his decisions towards gay marriage and quite a few other issues. I'm asking God to hold this man totally accountable to live as a Christian and nothing and no one less.

Last edited:

Shimmie

Staff member
I think alot of people liked Obama because he was black and everyone was excited about the "first" black president.....they didnt care what he believed in :look:

True... I was totally caught up in his 'Blackness'. I was. I truly was. :nono:

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
Billy Graham's Prayer for the Nation

Our Father and Our God, we praise You for Your goodness to our nation, giving us blessings far beyond what we deserve. Yet we know all is not right with America. We deeply need a moral and spiritual renewal to help us meet the many problems we face. Convict us of sin. Help us to turn to You in repentance and faith. Set our feet on the path of Your righteousness and peace. We pray today for our nation's leaders. Give them the wisdom to know what is right, and the courage to do it. You have said, "Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord." May this be a new era for America, as we humble ourselves and acknowledge You alone as our Savior and Lord.
This we pray in Your holy name, Amen.

Read more: http://www.beliefnet.com/Prayers/Ch...hams-Prayer-For-The-Nation.aspx#ixzz1lKJAvNyK

Shimmie

Staff member
Billy Graham's Prayer for the Nation

Our Father and Our God, we praise You for Your goodness to our nation, giving us blessings far beyond what we deserve. Yet we know all is not right with America. We deeply need a moral and spiritual renewal to help us meet the many problems we face. Convict us of sin. Help us to turn to You in repentance and faith. Set our feet on the path of Your righteousness and peace. We pray today for our nation's leaders. Give them the wisdom to know what is right, and the courage to do it. You have said, "Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord." May this be a new era for America, as we humble ourselves and acknowledge You alone as our Savior and Lord.

Read more: http://www.beliefnet.com/Prayers/Ch...hams-Prayer-For-The-Nation.aspx#ixzz1lKJAvNyK

We pray today for our nation's leaders.

Give them the wisdom to know what is right, and the courage to do it. You have said, "Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord."

May this be a new era for America, as we humble ourselves and acknowledge You alone as our Savior and Lord.

Adding: Remove the 'hard heads' and replace them with those who will obey and follow you. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Last edited:

Shimmie

Staff member
I just had an ephiphany.... :lol:

He was at a Prayer Breakfast.... an assembly of Christians.

Of course he'd say he's a Christian and that he prays about his decisions. That's the 'language of the group that he's buying'. He's buying votes.

I wonder what he says at the gay rallies. :look:

Politicians.... straight up politians. Oh well!