At the salon....

NAY007

as some of you probably know i had my touch up appointment today. i was using motions oil in mild for the first and last /images/graemlins/mad.gif time.
first of all i have to say that i always used african pride in normal. then i have to say that i never ever based my scalp before. that petroleum jelly that came in the kit , i only used that for my hairline and ears. the reason for this is cause i did not know that you usually base your scalp with it. but i never burnt before.
anyway the stylist started basing my scalp and then she parted my hair in the four sections and she started applying the relaxer on the section on my right. she was using that brush and brushed the relaxer on my hair.
she was doing it very well but i was thinking that she was taking waaayyy too long. and i was right cause when she started with the last section i was already soooooo read all over my hair line. i was soo worried /images/graemlins/ooo.gif. i mean this never happened to me before. it was really bad and i am not exaggerating.
okay, so she washed it off pretty quick. after rinsing i asked her to apply to protein conditioner from the motions oil line. she did that and then she neutralized. after that she put in another conditioner also motions and i sat under the dryer.
then i got my hair trimmed and then rolled on the gray magnetic rollers.
now.....i sat under that dryer for 1 1/2 hours /images/graemlins/crazy.gif. yup!!! i was sooo hot and i drank soo much water.
i got the doobie wrap and i liked my hair a lot. but there is no way that i can do this roller setting as a regular thing at home. it just takes way too long for my hair to dry.

if you ladies have any advice for me for another relaxer please let me know.
what do you think about affirm??
i really want to know why i got burnt like that. i now have little marks on my right forehead. but all in all it wasn't that bad.

but i still hate going to salons, i hate it soo much and i can't wait to go to one of them dominican ones in the states.

thanks for reading i just wanted to share. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

nay

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
Sorry about your scalp burns. /images/graemlins/frown.gif
How long did she leave the relaxer on? From your photos, I'm thinking it shouldn't have taken her longer than 10-15 minutes.

Integrity

that was interesting! maybe she was applying it without making an effort to avoid the scalp!! did you irritate your scalp 72 hours before relaxing? (shampooing, scratching, exercise (yup!), combing, tugging etc)???

did she base your scalp? thoroughly all over your head??

think... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

NAY007

i think she took like 10 minutes already to put the stuff on. she did a real good job as i said before but she just took long.

yes she did also a very good job basing my scalp AND hairline.

now ladies i did not wash my hair for about 10 days before this appointment. and this was sooo hard for me cause i have to wash my hair every 3 days cause i work out a LOT. now you can imagine how hair smelled after all those workouts and sweat. so NO i did not do anything to irritate my scalp. i think i was prepared pretty good for this appointment /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

i also did not exercise 24 hours before the appointment and i did not scratch my scalp. i am really thinking hard why my hairline got so red. it was almost as red as this smilie's cheeks /images/graemlins/blush.gif. and i had exactly his look on my face.

i think she should have started with the two sections in the back and then do the front sections and also do the hairline last.

Integrity

In reply to

i think she should have started with the two sections in the back and then do the front sections and also do the hairline last.

BINGO!!! that must be at least ONE reason why you got burnt!! the first rule of relaxing must be to start with the less sensitive back head first and do the front and the hairline last. WOW! do you have lots of afro hairdressers up in near frankfurt?? cant find any down here except for a black lady in a german salon and i am not willing to take chances with her...maybe /images/graemlins/frown.gif

G

Maybe you should have washed your hair three days before your touchup. /images/graemlins/confused.gifYou may have had dried sweat and dirt accumulated on your scalp since you waited 10 days. My beautician told me that a dirty scalp can sometimes make your scalp irritated when the relaxer is put in.

HTH!!

Ennyaa

You know what, I never really thought about this before but now that you mention it every relaxer I've had done they started at the back and came forward. Interesting.

pmichael52172

It could have also been that she just got relaxer on your skin at the hairline when she tried applying it to your actual hairline roots. Here's the story:

When I was in college, I was pledging Delta Sigma Theta. One girl had heard that I could do hair and so-called "made" me give her perm. That was dumb move. I mean you "make" someone take out your trash or pick up your dry cleaning, but not something where they could damage you. Anyway, I told her that I couldn't do it because she didn't have a perm brush. Well she insisted on me doing it anyway (dumb again). All my line sisters sat there with a smirk on their faces and some even mouthed the words (Burn her! Burn her). Anyway, it was silent the whole time. I got to her hairline which I did last and because I had to do it with a perm brush I got it on her skin. She was burning in other places of course because she insisted on me doing it although she had no grease for basing - so as I apologized while laughing behind her back on the way to the sink she kept saying it was burning and that I had better not burnt her.

Anyway, the next morning, there was a knock on my door. Five Deltas were standing there saying I was going to get it because I burnt my big sister. She had this huh-YUUGE red strip across her forehead. I just stood there. My roommate who couldn't stand the girl made it worse by pointing and laughing.

Anyway, I said all that to say, maybe she just got the relaxer on the skin. When I self-relax my hairline. First of all I do it last but when I do, I dab the relaxer on my hairline and then kind of dab it on good with my gloved fingers kind of stroking it so as not to get it on my skin but still get the little hairline hairs relaxed.

NAY007

all i know is that it is probably better when i do the relaxing myself. i never went wrong before. the main reason why i went to the salon was cause i was changing from no lye to lye. but she just applied it without doing anything different. next time i just buy my little african pride kit put on my gloves and get to work. i never part my hair in four sections. i just start at the back of my head (nape of my neck) and then go by horizantol sections. and that is it.
another thing is that my scalp did not burn at all. the only thing that burned was my hairline on my forehead.
anyway, i survived it and now i know what to do.
thanks girls for your posts and thoughts /images/graemlins/tongue.gif.
nay

Cleo

Hi Nay007, first off I think your hair is beautiful. I'm new to this board so you may not recognize my name. Anyway, are you thinking about switching back to the no-lye(african pride)? How long had you been using it? Did you experience dryness or calcium build up that caused you to switch to the Lye relaxer?
Cleo

NAY007

hey cleo,

first of all welcome to this board and thanks for your compliment.

i have always had real good results with the african pride. the reason why i switched was because i heard a lot of good things about the motions oil relaxer and i wanted to give it a try. since i still have more than half the jar left i will probably give it another try. but i will apply it myself and then do my hairline last. if i still get burned next time i will definitely go back to african pride /images/graemlins/grin.gif. i can only recommend african pride relaxers.
nay

BlkMane

I've tried both Motions Oil relaxer and Affirm (lye) and all I can say is that I found the Motions much milder than the Affirm. The Affirm left me like this /images/graemlins/blush.gif too.

I think she probably somehow got some on your skin. Just make sure to base well. BTW- Once I had the Motions applied with almost no basing and did not burn at all. I think the "burn factor" is related to the skill of the hairstylist.