ATTENTION: 4a and 4b naturals!!!!

fuzzyhead

I am currently looking for some hair products that work on my type of hair. I am tired ( and broke) of spending money on hair products that dont work. I need some suggestions. I am now using Jamaican Mango & Lime products, the Cactus oil brand. Has anyone used this. (Any 4a or 4b naturals) I ordered the cactus oil, the cactus oil serum, and the catus oil leave-in moisturizer. But when I got my order I didnt receive the moisturizer. ( but thats another thread.) I went to this beauty supply store to see if they had the moisturizer. They didnt but they didnt have this Tingle Shampoo, which cleaned my hair but didnt tingle. So before I buy anymore products I am going to check out this site, and nappturality.

I would like a review on any Jamiacain Mango & Lime products anyone has used. Because I want to moisturize my hair with out it feeling greasy or messing up my curls. ( I didnt mention this before but the front half of my hair is like an afro, and the back half is like curly and afro-like.) Also when my hair is wet it is neck length, but when it dries it about my ear in a afro.

Or if they are any other products that you have used that are good. Please inform me. By the time I usually hear about a product it is or is about to be discontiued.

Gullahgirl

Products I use that work for me (believe me I've tried several)
1. Pantene Moisturizing products
2. Infusiom with Aloe Vera
3. S-Curl no drip (I was not too keen on using anything with the word "drip" in it 'cause I kept picturing the parents of the fiance on "Coming To America" with their drippy joo-joo curls. *LOL*
4. AmPro Clear-Ice gel
5. A nice brush
6. African Pride hair oil

locabouthair

My biggest challenge since wearing my hair natural was keeping my hair moisturized. I mean my hair was really dry. I tried a lot of productslike you to solve the problem. I don't know if your hair is dry or not but i recently started using NTM leave in cream and their hair mask and i can feel the difference in my hair.

Jaelin

My brother and sister use Jamaican Mango & Lime but it's the stuff for for locks. No idea about the cactus oil.

I currently use Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine shampoo & conditioner and also Oyin's products - poobar, conditioner, greg's juice, and whipped pudding. Biosilk silk theraphy for my ends. Bottle of apple cidar vinegar or clarifying shampoo every few weeks to remove product buildup/hard water.

I don't know that I would recommend buying more products just yet though. I've been here on the boards for a while and it wasn't until earlier this year that I realized I had too much protein in my regimen. My hair was okay but when I decided I wanted it to feel soft, I posted what I was using and the overwhelming feedback was to cut the protein. So I got rid of what was previously my staples. Luckily the garnier fructis products were the first thing I tried and they worked out for me, otherwise I might still be trying to find a replacement.

Maybe you've posted in another thread but post your regimen of what you've been using or plan to use, and ask for an evaluation. Also another thing to consider is your environment - are you in an hard water area?

Last edited:

Jaelin

locabouthair said:
My biggest challenge since wearing my hair natural was keeping my hair moisturized. I mean my hair was really dry. I tried a lot of productslike you to solve the problem. I don't know if your hair is dry or not but i recently started using NTM leave in cream and their hair mask and i can feel the difference in my hair.

I use Oyin's honey hemp conditioner strictly as a leave in for moisture and I have a spritz bottle with bottled water that I spay once or twice a day, a few times a week. One of the best tips I picked up here - to just use water :)

tallnomad

I used to use the Mango spray conditioner or moisturizer and really liked it. I moved from NYC where I saw it all the time to Cali. where I never see it. It helped keep my hair soft and not so dry.

This morning I tried kinky-curly.com's Curling Custard. I'm usually a Curly Pudding girl, but I like CC better. I think I used too much because my hair is a bit crunchy on the top, but the layers underneath are still moist and I did this over 12 hours ago!

Also, I try to avoid all oils--even the natural ones like shea and jojoba. I think they do have benefits, but oils tend to dry out natural hair. You should do a search on the no oil routine (google) and there is a article and product suggestions. It's all about bringing more moisture to your hair.

Hope this helps!

locabouthair

Jaelin said:
I use Oyin's honey hemp conditioner strictly as a leave in for moisture and I have a spritz bottle with bottled water that I spay once or twice a day, a few times a week. One of the best tips I picked up here - to just use water :)

thanx for the tip.

CatSuga

kenkaikim

I used to have a problem with dry hair and I spent alot of money on products that didn't work for me. I now use Profectiv Root Health as my leave-in and a water/glycerine combo as my moisturizer. My hair has never been this soft!

jainygirl

4b here :D !!!! Spray bottle with water and unrefined shea butter. Those are my everyday products. The good part is you only need to apply shea butter every 3 or 4 days because of the staying power it has. Also for shampooing I use Aubrey Organics Island Butter shampoo and Daily Defense Tender Apple (DDTA) or some cheapie VO5 conditioner -- I like the VO5 Freesia alot :). HTH -- jainygirl

Last edited:

MeccaMedinah

jainygirl said:
4b here :D !!!! Spray bottle with water and unrefined shea butter. Those are my everyday products. The good part is you only need to apply shea butter every 3 or 4 days because of the staying power it has. Also for shampooing I use Aubrey Organics Island Butter shampoo and Daily Defense Tender Apple (DDTA) or some cheapie VO5 conditioner -- I like the VO5 Freesia alot :). HTH -- jainygirl

I'm a 4 too & I agree with Jainy. I conditioner wash with V05's & Herbal Essence conditioners. I too apply shea butter every 3 or 4 days. I spray bottled water or a bottled water/almond oil mix nightly. :)

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
I do what Jainy & Mecca do too. I use cheaper conditioners because I go through a lot. Shea butter or avocado butter are my staples. I use these (I usually make a little lotion though) put on a bit of it after washing or rinsing my hair and it keeps it nice for a couple of days. I also make my own bottled water spritz as well. I just add a bit of jojoba or coconut oil and a bit of scented EO for a nice smell.

I think many of us went through the same thing looking for a product that works well but soon we realized that simpler is usually better.

Last edited: