Attention Texlaxers!!! Pro's and Con's?

Wow...this is a very interesting thread. I have been seriously considering transitioning to Texlaxed. Great info. So does anyone have a "fool proof" method of texlaxing?

Southernbella.

I can only say that I will never do it again. Keep in mind, I didn't go from natural to texlaxed, I went from bone-straight to texlaxed, so that may make a difference.

My hair was never curly, it just had a slight wave to it, so I couldn't do wash n gos. Also, my hair was dryer texlaxed than it was when it was bone-straight. My rollersets never got fully straight, and my hair just looked way too thick.

Going from natural to texlaxed is probably a lot different than what I did.

tishsander

I have texlaxed for a couple of years and I like it. I can't really comment on most things as I have kept my hair braided for most of that time (weave). I had a lot of tangling issues for the first year between my natural (4b?) hair and my relaxed hair. I had to cut a lot of tangles out, so my first year was basically cutting my hair down to an inch out two in some areas. The second year, started with a little more cutting but ultimately concentrating on growth. I'm currently about 6-7 inches overall. My goal is 12 inches by dec 2013 at which time I will discontinue with weaves.

Anyway, my basic relaxing regimen is to section my hair into 10-12 loose braids (loose on the base), brush regular strength relaxer onto the new growth, and work the relaxer into the internal base of each braid. I relax for a total of 10 min from start to finish, doing edges toward the beginning so they're the straightest.

The result is that I can still maintain my (nappy) hair but I can comb through it. I used to break combs! I don't know how this will work with my flat iron yet. I let my hair air dry halfway, apply conditioner, apply oil (safflower, olive, or argan), comb (wide tooth) and then rebraid into a spiral. I spiral braid my hair every 2 months (longer than that, it tangles). I texlax my hair every 6 months.

Hope this helps someone.

Sent from my DROIDX using LHCF

belldandy

I liked my texlaxed hair, but it did still thin my hair out over time. Perhaps not as much as when I relaxed bone straight, but I prefer the fullness of my natural texture now.