Attention Texlaxers!!! Pro's and Con's?

NantanYah

Hi Ladies,

I'm having a HARD time dealing with my natural 4b hair. I've been growing it for a bit over a year now after a BC last March. Anyway, I'm sick of the 3 hour detangling and braiding time, the over all bad hair days, the shrinkage, etc. I've been considering texlaxing after a failed attempt at locs:)nono:, itchies and weird phase after a only a month:nono:)

Anyway, if you were natural and then texlaxed what were the pro's and con's (This is the question I most want answered)? Is it easier to maintain? Is it worth it?

Last edited:
C

chica_canella

Well, I became telaxed about a couple of weeks ago. It was an accident because I wanted bone straight, but my stylist doens't do bone straight.

So, the only thing I can think of is when you touch up, you have to leave it on around the same time because it won't be the same texture as the telaxed texture.

chellero

Wife Supremacist
Pro's : My hair is much easier to comb, easier to keep moisturized, and I have the option of roller setting instead of flat ironing when I want a straight style. I can also wash and go and have a head full of curls. I think that I am 4a.

Con's
: If you relax it too much, then you can't wash and go, or you may have straight places in the middle of your hair strand. You have to be very cautious about overlapping.

chellero

Wife Supremacist
I am new here, but I have been texlaxing for years. :grin:In my opinion texlaxing is totally worth it. I used to get impatient when detangling and not do it carefully enough resulting in a lot of breakage, and walk around with my hair looking a hot mess on some days because I didn't have time to do much with it. I am not sure how well it works on 4b hair. A friend of mine texlaxed her natural 4b hair thinking that she would have a curly wash and go, but instead she got a head full of frizz that she had to style just like relaxed hair. I think that it is because her natural hair made tiny "z" shapes instead of tiny spirals and "s" (I read that somewhere) so I would check on that first if I were you.

Hope this helps.

dlewis

I love my texlaxed hair. I can go from straight to curly. I can rollerset and it looks great. I can wash and go and it looks fine. It's worth it to me.

wet texlaxed

rollerset

straight (last night trying to give instructions on a french braid)

It's the best of both worlds.

jade998

Hi..

PRO
Less shrinkage, less time in the bathroom detangling, No need to do twist outs for a decent style, roller sets can make my hair straight.

CON'S
Having issues with dryness, Missing the coils you get with natural hair, NO BAA (Big Ass Afro)

Would I do it all over again ..... IN A HEART BEAT.

I am loving my hair texlaxed. I feel like I have best of both worlds.

ETA: I am more 4b than 4a and I do have more Z's, I think it is importamt to show all the different textures, so people don't get delusional..I had no dreams about 3b coils popping on my head.. I knew, my hair would look like very small waves.

Last edited:

NantanYah

I am new here, but I have been texlaxing for years. :grin:In my opinion texlaxing is totally worth it. I used to get impatient when detangling and not do it carefully enough resulting in a lot of breakage, and walk around with my hair looking a hot mess on some days because I didn't have time to do much with it. I am not sure how well it works on 4b hair. A friend of mine texlaxed her natural 4b hair thinking that she would have a curly wash and go, but instead she got a head full of frizz that she had to style just like relaxed hair. I think that it is because her natural hair made tiny "z" shapes instead of tiny spirals and "s" (I read that somewhere) so I would check on that first if I were you.

Hope this helps.

This is something to think about. I have 4a hair in the (lower middle to nape)back of my head. On the upper-right side I have a small patch of hair that's just nappier than any section of hair on my head. My curls are shaped like s's mostly, all over accept for that patch of hair I just complained about. I may go the stylist and get a consultation as to what it will look like in the end result. The last thing I want is a head full of frizz!!! Thanks for your thorough answer.

lonei

I went from bonr straight to textlaxed by accident so it was much worse for me, but I suppose if you go from natural to texlaxed it may be a little better, for me, bone straight is much easier and required less detangling time and heat...

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
Pros: Easier detangling, quicker drying time, less weight.

Cons: Relaxer dependency...thats it for me.

lana

I went from Natural to Texlaxed. I love it.

Pros: Easier detangling (from 30 minutes, to 3 minutes),
Easier blowdrying (from 1 hour, to 10 minutes or less)
Easier flat ironing (from 1 hour to 10 minutes) I still can't rollerset my hair because I'm really only about 40% relaxed or Texlaxed. So my 4a/b hair has a loosened curl but not straight or frizzy by any means.
You use less heat because your hair straightens easier. I can actually wear my hair curly all day long and love it by the end of the day.
You retain length cause you're not stressing your hair strands with heat, detangling or combing.
I do all my haircare myself and my hair is longer than it's ever been as an adult.
Ever since I learned about using a reconstructor BEFORE the nuetralizing shampoo, my hair is soooo much healthier.

Cons: Rollersetting doesn't get my hair straight (I wish it did) Someone PM me please with their rollersetting technique. Sometimes my hair still acts "natural" especially once I stretch past 6 weeks. It's like I'm natural all over again.
You really have to time yourself with the texlax, because a little longer and you're too straight, a little shorter and you might as well have stayed natural. I stick to 7 minutes for application and rinse. Work fast and rinse thoroughly.

Would I do it again? Yes! I only wish I had known about texlaxing a few years ago, I would be bra strap length by now!

Shardonay11

I went to the salon and requested texlaxed hair, I think she relaxed my hair fully.:ohwell: When my hair is wet, it is straight with no curls to speak of. Is there any way I can get the texlax look still?

Treasure2k6

I've found that by texlaxing my thickness is coming back and its not as limp as it was when I used to fully relax back in the day. The con's....the only thing that was on my list was air dryin. I had a hard time finding out how to do it with texlaxed hair! I'm getting it now though.

Whimsy

I was natural for a little over a year and got bored and texlaxed.

pros: easy to straighten or wear wash n go curly

cons: chemically damaged since not natural, still need to be as gentle/careful as you would w/ natural hair

That said, I'm currently transitioning back to natural, the pros to me weren't worth it.

sareca

Pro's : My hair is much easier to comb, easier to keep moisturized, and I have the option of roller setting instead of flat ironing when I want a straight style. I can also wash and go and have a head full of curls. I think that I am 4a.

Con's
: If you relax it too much, then you can't wash and go, or you may have straight places in the middle of your hair strand. You have to be very cautious about overlapping.

ITA. Another pro is using less product. I remember going thorough whole containers in a matter of weeks. Those same ones took me months to empty after I texlaxed.

:look: I have straight places in the middle of my strands... :wallbash: Mine wasn't from overlapping tho. I just applied too much Phyto to those spots.

znapps

I luv being texlaxed becuase I can be lazy (wash/shake and go) or I can put a little time in and roller set my hair (like in my avatar). Like Sareca I also have saved money on products because I need less (shampoo, oil, conditioner, everythang!).

If you decide to go the texlaxed route you might want to read the thread on using protein in relaxers to texlax. I got the best results when I started doing this.

Either way -- Best of luck to ya!

Legend

Trichological Alchemist
One of the biggest pros for me is texlaxing softens the line of demarcation, so I get less breakage while stretching treatments. Also, stretching is much easier because I'm not dealing with two very dissimilar textures.

The styling options are great. I don't use heat, so I rely on roller setting and wrapping for straighter styles. But, I can also wear it wavy. It's much fuller than hair that is relaxed straight (and I like big hair :) ).

The cons are few for me. The biggest issue is detangling can take some time, but this is a pretty individual concern.

dlove

OK

I'd like to give the texlax a try.

Can I apply it myself and how often? I don't ever want to depend on anyone doing my hair anymore...

What are some really good brands?

Ballerina_Bun

Your hair is beautiful. I've been transitioning, but I am seriously considering "texlaxing". I miss the low maintenance of my relaxed hair. Although, I love my super thick natural hair, or at least the part that is natural.

Anyways ... that first picture is absolutely adorable!

I think the styling options are better to.

curly hair

dlewis

Your hair is beautiful. I've been transitioning, but I am seriously considering "texlaxing". I miss the low maintenance of my relaxed hair. Although, I love my super thick natural hair, or at least the part that is natural.

Anyways ... that first picture is absolutely adorable!

Thank you. :blush:

KhandiB

I was texlaxed by mistake at first ..

But now, I prefer it. My hair has thinned out alot since I have had my son (really it has :lol: ) and If I relaxed bone straight I would look a mess :lol:

Pro's - :/
Cons - :/

I cant name many right now, because I havent really taken my texlaxedness by the horns yet :lol:

I need to own it and work it out :lol:

A pic of it wet w/conditioner on it

http://public.fotki.com/Khandi/oh-seven!/2007-styles/conditioner.html

sometimes I think I be trippin ..

Sorry I was No Help :lol:

SignatureBeauty

I just recently Texlaxed after becoming frustrated with my Natural hair, and now I have what I want and it is easier to manage and I can do a wash n go and be gone, I really Love it and I am happy I made that Choice, I also like that I will still be able to my rollersets or blowdry if I want straight hair or Big hair.

sareca

I wonder how sareca and znapps use less conditioner?

I think it's just because my hair is less bulky. About 50% less bulky. It used to take a palm full of conditioner to soften my hair. Now a silver dollar sized amount does it.

Babydall818

I love my texlaxed hair. I can go from straight to curly. I can rollerset and it looks great. I can wash and go and it looks fine. It's worth it to me.

wet texlaxed

rollerset

straight (last night trying to give instructions on a french braid)

It's the best of both worlds.

OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!:grin:
I have been trying to figure out if I was Texlaxed for the longest... the pics totally helped.
I am lol. haha I have been for like 3 yrs :) haha..

Also love your beautiful hair!