August 2016: Hits & Misses

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Okay and potentially a miss (need to try once more):
Shea Moisture Peace Rose Oil Complex Nourish & Silken Styling Gel-cream
The SM Rose Oil gel-cream had a light hold, strong smell, and then not quite but almost seemed to give my hair a browner, dull tint. CAME SO HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. :( Will try one more time.​
Good
Pantene Pro-V Truly Natural Hair Defining Curls Styling Custard
The Pantene is doing a good job with providing great hold. I like the way it went on. I was very heavy-handed and got zero flaking. It does not help elongate the curls, which is fine. It didn't really define my curls, just added hold. Feels good. Looks good. Not my favorite ingredients, but a good option at around $4.
Continued Hit
DevaCurl Decadence No Poo and One Condition
These products feel good, smell nice, and give my hair curl definition. Frizz is greatly reduced. If I think about it, I probably don't own a better conditioner and non-stripping cleanser.​

I am going to try the SM again too. I hope it's not one of those products that's mediocre on type 4 curls.

They finally moved this line out the wypipo section in my target, just to introduce a newer line in their section. Whatevs.

NaturallyATLPCH

Hits:
APB Blue Agave Cleansing Conditioner
I love this stuff but the pump has to go lol...it's creamy, it foams, and I'm left with clean, soft hair. It's too thick for a pump, but I love the texture. I'll just transfer it to a jar.

Alikay Naturals Lemongrass Leave In
Why am I so late trying this stuff? It melts these 4c tangles like nobody's business!!! I will be investing in a 16 ounce eventually and most importantly, I can get it on the ground.

Aggie

HIT:

APB Moisturizing Leave-in Conditioner is great but I think I will order it in another fragrance next time as I don't care for the honey dew scent at all :nono:. Now I wish I had gotten it in one of those fruity or buttercream fragrances. Also I'm eager to try the Moisturizing lotion during the next sale :yep:.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
HIT:

APB Moisturizing Leave-in Conditioner is great but I think I will order it in another fragrance next time as I don't care for the honey dew scent at all :nono:. Now I wish I had gotten it in one of those fruity or buttercream fragrances. Also I'm eager to try the Moisturizing lotion during the next sale :yep:.

I only mess with buttercream and marshmallow clouds. Those and vanilla are usually safe. And TBH, they both smell the same with light hints of vanilla :yep:

NaturallyATLPCH

HIT:

Awww I actually like the Honey Dew scent, well at least when I tried it a while back. I know scents may change due to manufacturers discontinuing the fragrance so I wonder if that happened?

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
LOoks like this is going to be my next flat iron purchase. Is there only one type, or are there a selection of the FHIs?

I would have to dig it out and check. I just know it's red and black, like that means anything.

I loved the sedu, but then I tried the FHI, I felt that at higher heat it laid the hair down better. Never got heat damage with either

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Hit:
DevaCurl No Poo and Decadence. The Menthol in No Poo makes my scalp feel great. The quinoa in the Decadence is helping with the nape of my hair which can be more prone to dryness.

Miss:
DevaCurl No Poo Decadence usage. One wash was about 1/5 of the bottle. 3 washes of No Poo is 1/4 of the bottle. A bit discouraging, but it really is good.

Last edited:

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
@Saludable84
Nice Review!:up:

You know I lurves me some No-Poo. :love:

Have never tried (or been interested in) Decadence?

I will be honest: I like decadence better. My only skepticism of it is that it has quinoa protein. When I was relaxed, quinoa wrecked my hair but on my natural hair it's actually nicer. I can go an extra day without washing with the decadence I'm noticing, probably longer. Not the same with no-poo. I would still keep both though.

NaturallyATLPCH

Hit: SM Raw Shea and Cupuacu Conditioner
This has a nice, thick consistency, yet it melted my tangles and made it easy for me to section and twist my hair.

And yasssss @Saludable84 I lurves me some fruity scents!!! The only exceptions are marshmallow clouds, fruit loops, the scent of Oyin Hair Dew, and some bakery scents.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Hit: SM Raw Shea and Cupuacu Conditioner
This has a nice, thick consistency, yet it melted my tangles and made it easy for me to section and twist my hair.

And yasssss @Saludable84 I lurves me some fruity scents!!! The only exceptions are marshmallow clouds, fruit loops, the scent of Oyin Hair Dew, and some bakery scents.

We were right. @AgeinATL and I told you you fall in the middle of us. I am tempted to add so SAA to my jar and see if that helps.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
LOoks like this is going to be my next flat iron purchase. Is there only one type, or are there a selection of the FHIs?
I think the two most popular models are the Platform and the Runway. I have a Platform and love it. The only thing I don't like about it is the temperature dial. I wish it were a digital setting. I still love it though.

Aggie

I think the two most popular models are the Platform and the Runway. I have a Platform and love it. The only thing I don't like about it is the temperature dial. I wish it were a digital setting. I still love it though.
Thanks so much @Dayjoy. Where did you get buy yours from?

Hmm, now I wonder if there are any sales going on with them.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Mini Review on Curl Keeper Original.

The first time I used it on soaking wet hair after applying SM LP LI and shingling my hair in tiny sections. I posted a picture in the WNG Fall Challenge thread, but I did it on a Thursday night and Friday morning, curls were still poppin. Saturday, refreshed with water and curls still poppin. Soft hold.

The next time I tried with APB Cherry and Kukui Lotion in which the results were ok, but by the next day my hair was meh to the second power.

The next two times, I tried it after leaving a little Aussie Moist in my hair. Ive come to the conclusion that I will never be one of those people that can leave conditioner in my hair. Its a big fail. But this combination just sucked.

Overall, I like the product and will use it, weather permitting, since it is for humidity control. Further, the SM LP has glycerin, so I think that made a major difference. Its for humidity control, so I cant explain the connection, but I think that's the major factor.

Last edited: