August 2016: Hits & Misses

Colocha

acne cream and afro dreams
Miss: Still finding split ends from Diaspora Salon visit in May. This woman has cost me like 2-3 inches now. And these are nasty splits I see in my nightmares. They look like a dog was chewing on my ends.

Why did I ever let someone try to detangle my hair with a shampoo brush. :cry3:

reeko43

Miss: Still finding split ends from Diaspora Salon visit in May. This woman has cost me like 2-3 inches now. And these are nasty splits I see in my nightmares. They look like a dog was chewing on my ends.

Why did I ever let someone try to detangle my hair with a shampoo brush. :cry3:

I am so thankful that you posted about your experience. I remember that i was minutes away from making an appointment. I am so sorry that this happened.

Colocha

acne cream and afro dreams
I am so thankful that you posted about your experience. I remember that i was minutes away from making an appointment. I am so sorry that this happened.
I'm glad I could stop you. I was going to give her a pass back in June/July when I didn't realize how much damage she really did, but I sat down and did a 7 hour search and destroy through my hair and realized she Destroyed a lot of it. I posted a Facebook review for her business (which I never do) because I really don't want this to happen to somebody else.

Aggie

Nexxus might be in the drugstores but they are a salon brand. There are more. Their Polymedic Reconstructor is bae! Their entire purpose is to give you an entire new head of hair :lachen:when I used them consistently I didn't have damage. I also didn't need to deep condition :look: but I'm not promoting that.
I love deep conditioning too much to be deterred :lol:. That only happens when I'm critically busy or tired.

CodeRed

Hit: Suave Essentials Tropical Coconut Conditioner

This is going to be my go-to cheapie. It has SAA in it and my hair has some shine, is soft and still has a lot of movement. It is a very light so it's not something I'd use for long periods of time but still really nice for such an inexpensive conditioner.

MsSanz92

Hit: Suave Essentials Tropical Coconut Conditioner

This is going to be my go-to cheapie. It has SAA in it and my hair has some shine, is soft and still has a lot of movement. It is a very light so it's not something I'd use for long periods of time but still really nice for such an inexpensive conditioner.

I love me some Suave coconut conditioner. It's great for cowashing because it's so light and cone-free, but has great slip and a good amount of moisture. It's also super cheap which makes it even better!

curlyhersheygirl

New Hits
Siamese twist henna & raspberry hair cream and pumpkin hairdress. Both absorb nicely and are not greasy. Leaves my hair very soft and shiny. These two are my favorites from this vendor. Too bad her shipping is way too high.

Using a R/O after I DC. This gave stellar results. It surprisingly increased the moisture of my hair during these very hot days. Thanks @IDareT'sHair I would have never thought of doing this.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Miss:
Silk Dreams Wheat Germ Butter Conditioner. Needs a sealer. My hair was soft but looked very dry. This morning, was no way aladat was going in a bun.

Going to work with wet hair. Its just the water dripping down my neck part.

Hit:
Thanks to my miss above, wet my hair in the shower and applied some Aussie Moist. Then, rinsed carefully and applied SM LP Leave In and topped with Curl Keeper Original. Guess this will be my Summer combo.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
@Saludable84 Where do you get the Curl Keeper from? I think I might attempt to do a WNG with maybe the SM LP leave in and Wetline gel or SM Peace Rose Oil Styling Gel-Cream. Of course that might be null and void depending on my energy :sleep:

Target. Its in our "beauty" aisle. I found right next to KC line. I dont really wear WNG but with the CK, it allows me to keep definition to not have to twist so often. I like wetline definition, but not the way it leaves my hair feeling. Too much hold. I really want that SM Peace Gel Cream. Ive really heard its good, but now, its just sold out everywhere.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Miss:
Seeing one, lone, randomly placed bottle of that Shea Moisture Rose Oil Complex gel sitting on the Shea Moisture shelf at the Ulta I'd visited twice to get it before giving up and ordering online. I know -- I just KNOW -- it wasn't there before. Where did it come from? Why is there only one? Why isn't it near its family members? What's up with the availability of this gel? :laugh:

Miss:
Revisiting the Shea Moisture Professional Line Curl Memory Creme. :nono:

Hit:
Talking to an Ulta stylist who prevented me from taking the other stylist's not-so-great advice. She was SOOOOO sweet. She called up her sister, who has 4a hair like mine and does these 10-day wash-and-go's. Her hair isn't fine like mine so I don't know if I can take her advice, but she shared her wash-and-go method with such passion! "I get STOPPED over my wash-and-go's" she said. I'm going to document her process at the wash-and-go thread, in case it helps/inspires someone. :yep:

Last edited:

Aggie

HIT turned a BIG MISS:

Design Essentials Honey Custard - it didn't have enough hold for my hair with all the humidity we have here in The Bahamas. I still had frizz after about 2 hours of the DE in my hair and needed something with a stronger hold.

Another thing I don't like about the DE Honey Custard - I had to shampoo my hair at least 4-5 times just to wash all the flakes out this morning. I certainly will NOT be using that again. I may end up stripping my hair of it's natural oils if I have to keep that up daily :nono:. So no, it goes in the trash.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
HIT turned a BIG MISS:

Design Essentials Honey Custard - it didn't have enough hold for my hair with all the humidity we have here in The Bahamas. I still had frizz after about 2 hours of the DE in my hair and needed something with a stronger hold.

Another thing I don't like about the DE Honey Custard - I had to shampoo my hair at least 4-5 times just to wash all the flakes out this morning. I certainly will NOT be using that again. I may end up stripping my hair of it's natural oils if I have to keep that up daily :nono:. So no, it goes in the trash.

Thanks for this. I keep eyeing it in my cabinet. It smells so good. It seems like it should work great, but I only got so-so results when I used it that first time. I haven't used it since and was thinking about it. So glad you reminded me of that no-definition-at-all-in-the-roots wash-and-go it yielded.

bajandoc86

Lipstick Lover
Hit
APB Daily Refresher Spray - this is lightweight yet moisturising and feels so cool on my scalp when I spray my cornrows. I alternate spritzing my hair daily with this and APB Leave In.

Miss
Not moisturising consistently the last three months with resultant dryness and breakage. The difference in my hair was obvious. I won't be doing that again.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Hit:
Figuring out Clay Washing. I only need to do it 1x a month. I can use a cleansing conditioner the rest of the time and just use Rhassoul to get the build up off. The Rhassoul cleanses my hair too much, and I've been noticing using the Oui.dad CC or DevaCurl NP works much better than when I used with shampoo. This regimen getting better and better.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Hit:
Figuring out Clay Washing. I only need to do it 1x a month. I can use a cleansing conditioner the rest of the time and just use Rhassoul to get the build up off. The Rhassoul cleanses my hair too much, and I've been noticing using the Oui.dad CC or DevaCurl NP works much better than when I used with shampoo. This regimen getting better and better.

Yay! What's in your clay wash? I haven't had a stripping feeling with clay. Mine is too expensive, so I'm about to change. I hope it doesn't start feeling stripping!

I 100% agree regarding toggling it with DevaCurl poo! :yep: Yay! I feel affirmed to see someone else articulate this same discovery! :smile:

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Yay! What's in your clay wash? I haven't had a stripping feeling with clay. Mine is too expensive, so I'm about to change. I hope it doesn't start feeling stripping!

I 100% agree regarding toggling it with DevaCurl poo! :yep: Yay! I feel affirmed to see someone else articulate this same discovery! :smile:

I just use Rhassoul and water. It's good but my issue is that 1x a week is too much because it's mildly clarifying. My hair isn't dry but it isn't until I conditioner wash, DC and use a r/o that my hair is completely happy. So clearly my hair needs more moisture. I feel that if I just use the clay 1x a month or when needed, it's more than sufficient. So I'm sticking with it, but now that I know it better I can incorporate it better.

Devacurl is really good. I'm definitely getting the liter bottle.

Eta: Devashon (?) the devacurl salon is in walking distance from my job. I should just get it from there.

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
Hit: Hask bamboo oil strengthening conditioner

I've had this for a while but didn't really pay attention to how it worked. Today I decided to use it for my rinse out/detangler with the shampoo and I loved it. My hair felt strong yet soft. It doesn't have the best slip but I was able to detangle with no issues after I applied it then drenched my hair under the shower. I'm going to try it next week as a light protein treatment and if I like it that way then it might replace Aphogee 2 minute.

JulietWhiskey

Darkside of the moon
Continued Hit: All things Hairveda.

New Hit: Texas Natural Supply's Body Mousse as a nightly leave in. Chock full of shea and cocoa butter so I don't have to seal---plus the pH level of 4.9 is perfect for my high porosity hair and smooths the cuticles. Leaves my hair soft and juicy in the morning and my curl definition is sick! And I love the soft cocoa butter scent and that I can buy it in bulk sizes!

Ingredients:
Botanical/INCI/Ingredients: Water, Aloe Vera Juice, Safflower Oil, Natural Vegetable Emulsifying Wax, Shea Butter, Cocoa Butter, Vegetable Glycerin, Vegetable Stearic Acid, Potassium Sorbate, Citric Acid, Silver Dihydrogen Citrate.

Texas Natural Supply Website:
http://www.texasnaturalsupply.com/default.asp