August 2018: Hits & Misses

PlanetCybertron

IC Fantasia Black Castor oil: Miss

I know black castor oil is thick by nature, but this particular brand has a grimey feeling consistency. Don’t like.

IC Fantasia blue capped oil: Trash. Complete TRASH. It doesn’t even have the consistency of the other lines from the brand. It feels like that heavy synthetic crap that are pretty much blends. Waste of 8 whole dollars.

Hits:

SM JBCO (I’ve used this before but I recently started using it again. Still love.)

SM Yucca and Plaintain strengthening milk. Haven’t used many products from this line, but I LOVE how light the product is. Plays well with a lot of my other products I tend to layer over it.

Garnier Whole Blends Shampoo. It’s a nice pick. Not drying. I think its Sulfate Free as well.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Sort of Miss

Miss Jessies leave in conditioner, it reacts with every product, even its own, leaving my sons hair extra white. By itself though its pretty moisturizing.

Hits

Miss Jessie's Honey Curls , lays his curls out and plays well with other stylers

Miss Jessies Leave in condish, nice leave in for his hair when its the only product used

KaciaLN12

Hits:
Pre-pooing with conditioner and oils. I used to just pre-poo with oils, but adding conditioner helps with moisture and detangling. I can go back to finger-detangling if I pre-detangle with my pre-poo conditioner.
Another hit is the African Pride Twist and Loc Smoothie. Ugh, this has great slip and moisture. And it leaves my twist-outs soft, defined and with a definite sheen. And my hair is usually pretty dull. My hair didn't puff up in humidity and maintained its definition. It's not natural and has a silicone, if people care about that. I don't. But I think I'm about to go repurchase like 2 or 3 of these.

Aggie

HIT:

New oldie addition for me - Care Free Curl Gold Hair & Scalp Spray. It is probably the best "refresher" spray I've ever used on my hair. I say refresher spray because it leaves my hair super soft and shiny even after days of having my wash and go.

Sally.

HIT: Kindred Butters DC as a leave-in

I started using a little bit of this as my leave-in during my wash and gos because it detangles my hair, defines, and moisturizes it with slip, all in one go. I follow up with evoo and then gel but I think this DC is what allows me to get super defined, frizz-free, hydrated curls.

flyygirlll2

Lioness mane
Hits

TMC Heavenly Halo Pre-Poo
TMC Heavenly Halo Shampoo
Devacurl Build Up Buster
Komaza Jojoba Hemp Butter ( I don’t see it on the site anymore so that will suck if it’s discontinued ):(
TGIN Daily Mouisturising Buttercream
My Fluffy Puffs Twist Frosting w/Biotin
Talia Waajid Mist Bodifier

Meh

Jane Carter Untangle Me- It has a good amount of slip and does help in detangling but it left my hair feeling a bit dry.

Revlon Paddle Brush Blow Dryer- Didn’t really cut down blow drying time for me and even on the low setting it’s very hot IMO. I don’t hate it or love it. I think the YouTube reviews for this were overhyped.

Mielle Organics Babasu Mint DC- I tried this a long time ago but I couldn’t remember if I liked it or not, so I decided to try it again. It left my hair feeling dry and I had some tangles. I’m assuming since it’s a balancing DC that could be the reason because my hair felt like it had protein overload.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Hits

TMC Heavenly Halo Pre-Poo
TMC Heavenly Halo Shampoo
Devacurl Build Up Buster
Komaza Jojoba Hemp Butter ( I don’t see it on the site anymore so that will suck if it’s discontinued ):(
TGIN Daily Mouisturising Buttercream
My Fluffy Puffs Twist Frosting w/Biotin
Talia Waajid Mist Bodifier

Meh

Jane Carter Untangle Me- It has a good amount of slip and does help in detangling but it left my hair feeling a bit dry.

Revlon Paddle Brush Blow Dryer- Didn’t really cut down blow drying time for me and even on the low setting it’s very hot IMO. I don’t hate it or love it. I think the YouTube reviews for this were overhyped.

Mielle Organics Babasu Mint DC- I tried this a long time ago but I couldn’t remember if I liked it or not, so I decided to try it again. It left my hair feeling dry and I had some tangles. I’m assuming since it’s a balancing DC that could be the reason because my hair felt like it had protein overload.

I love it, but I thought it was only me that thought it was too hot. I plan on only using it for length checks going forth and blowing out for prior to protective style.

I wanted to try the My fluffy out but the biotin is throwing me off, how did/do you use it?

flyygirlll2

Lioness mane
I love it, but I thought it was only me that thought it was too hot. I plan on only using it for length checks going forth and blowing out for prior to protective style.

I wanted to try the My fluffy out but the biotin is throwing me off, how did/do you use it?

Yeah, it gets way too hot for me. I’ll only use it when I’m going to trim which is why I initially tried it.

I understand what you mean about the biotin. I’ve used it over a leave in as a styler. I find it to be pretty mouisturising and does provide a decent hold, not hard or anything like that but it does add definition if you’re doing a twist out/braid out. It made my twists nice and shiny too. A little goes a long way. I really like it for my hair.

Last edited:

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Hits
Texture Me Natural Detangle Me ( this is nice and creamy but I use it rarely because of the avocado oil)
Texture Me Natural Moisture milk ( I prefer this one because it doesn't have any coconut oil or protein acting oils ( avocado)
Sheamoisture Curling Gel Souffle ( acts like curl activator gel for me, just finished the jar after a year, a dab is all I need per section)

KaciaLN12

Meh/Miss:
As I Am's Long Luxe Curl Enhancing Smoothie.

This has glycerin as the 2nd ingredient. My hair was soft and plush, but there was no definition to my twistout. It also made my hair dull on application, but dried with a soft sheen. Not much slip, either. But it does mix well with Eco Syling gels, so I will probably use it as a leave-in/moisturizer under one with a stronger hold, like Olive, Argan or Super Protein.

oneastrocurlie

Hits:
-Oyin ginger mint cowash
-Eden bodyworks almond marshmallow masque
-Applying a leave in (NYC curls specifically) and only rinsing some of it out for wash and go's

On the fence:
ST Rice water tonic - if its doing anything, I can't tell

Miss:
CD Rhassoul Clay Mask. Left a lot to be desired. The conditioner in the pump bottle is much better.

prettyinpurple

Hits
- Remington Detangling brush
- I like detangling on dry hair using said brush and QB CTDG. I can chill in front of the tv and don't have to hop in the shower as early. In the past, I detangled after applying a deep conditioner.
- Olaplex Hair Perfector No. 3 (ongoing hit)
- I'm using way less products on my damp hair before blow drying, just oil and a leave-in. Once I use up the leave-in, I won't buy another one. I'll probably just use a moisturizer instead. Leave-in conditioners don't do much for me.
- Bekura LECHE de BABASÚ HAIR CONDITIONER DRENCH. This is a nice, creamy conditioner. Her other conditioners are too thick and concentrated for my taste. This is easy to apply and absorbs well.

Miss
- Bekura BAHARI WATER REVIVAL HAIR TEA
I thought this was a liquid product (refresher spray) or maybe a very light lotion. It's thicker, like a leave-in conditioner. I guess I can use it up that way (another leave-in to use up sigh). Otherwise it doesn't really have a place in my stash as a hair refresher.

One review mentions using it while twisting her hair so maybe I'll try that. Now I can buy another refresher spray :lachen:.

Hit: Using up stuff I already have. I finished up a shampoo and a conditioner last week and I just finished up a leave in conditioner.
This is the best!

I wanted the new Olaplex shampoo and conditioner but took at look at my stash and said nope. Maybe in the fall. I keep a very edited collection, only buy stuff when I need it.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Miss

• CRN Lavender Collection for myself , looking at the performance on my little one, I doubt this line will work for me other than the deep conditioner.
  • Whipped Cream Leave in/ Gel reacted to oil that was in his hair resulting in that curdle look

Hits

CRN Lavender Collection for my LO
The smell is wonderful, its not an overpowering lavender scent. It smells almost vanilla in the undertones
The Whipped Cream Leave in is very moisturizing on my LOs hair. Softening and slightly detangling.
The Fresh Cleanse shampoo, cleaned his hair and left his curls a little defined, only con is heavy buildup I needed two washes which made his hair feel slightly squeaky
The Deep conditioner is FAB, moisturizing ,silky, and softening. I used it on him in the tub after the shampoo and it returned the moisture to his hair . left it in 10 minutes as he played
The spritz is a nice refresher, light and softening, smells great.
I didn't use the edge control on him ( tried it on my edges, it was okay. Nothing wowing)

I would not buy this line again, however if the deep conditioner is sold separately I would get it( during a sale or if it launches in Target). If the leave in was in a sale in Target, I'd get it . I will say the next day his hair was so soft. There is little to no hold in the gel so his hair only looked good for a few hours. He's a wild child when he plays.

carljr

Relaxed & Highlighted
Hits:
  • Sally's GVP SHine Compare to Matrix Biolage Shine Renewal - Very lightweight and gave a nice sheen
  • Joico Blonde Life Brightening Masque- Made my blonde stand and out and very moisturizing added plus, it came in a sample size :p
Miss:

• Joico Moisture Recovery Shampoo-Not very moisturizing at all heading back to my Keracare Hydrating shampoo