SouthernGirl

Is anyone else out there experiencing problems with their avatar? I changed mine and it seemed to be working okay, but when I post it disappears. Then I noticed that I can't view several other avatars so I'm thinking there is a problem.

Nikos, please help! Or maybe it's just me /images/graemlins/confused.gif?

dimopoulos

Crazy Greek
Staff member
Re: Avatar Problems *DELETED*

It might be because you put the URL of a picture (which doesn't exist BTW) in the Homepage field rather the Avatar field. Other than that you don't have anything stored as an avatar

SouthernGirl

Thanks Nikos for responding. I actually posted the link in both the avatar and homepage field. It appears for a bit (my avatar), but then it goes away. I'll try posting it in the avatar field only and see what happens.

I'll get back to you shortly...

Nonie

Southern Girl, I think I've confirmed that the reason your picture isn't showing up is because the URL has changed. You are trying to use

http://images8.fotki.com/v128/photos/3/346732/1231105/lchfphoto4-vi.jpg

but the correct URL is

http://images8.fotki.com/v127/photos/3/346732/1231079/lchfphoto4-vi.jpg

This may have happened if you moved the picture in your album after linking it to your avatar. Hence the reason you saw it and then after awhile you didn't.

If you click on the links I've typed above, neither will work since I used the bold code to indicate the difference in the URL...and the code is interfering with how the Internet is interpreting it. So rewrite it without the bold code in there and it should work. Or just copy and paste it from below:

http://images8.fotki.com/v127/photos/3/346732/1231079/lchfphoto4-vi.jpg

SouthernGirl

Hi Nonie /images/graemlins/wave.gif

Thanks so much!! I just tried your suggestion by pasting the second URL into the Avatar field. It appears to have worked, but I'm afraid to get too excited because I don't want it to go away again. I'm keeping my fingers crossed though!

I thought it strange that I would have so many problems but I didn't with my old Avatar. Then I realized that my old picture was a photo of Stacy Dash that I'd taken from the internet (which I guess is a no-no now). Anyhoo, I'll keep checking to make sure all is okay.

You're the best!
SG

Nonie

SG, your avatar should stay put. If you do any reorganizing in your album (coz Fotki lets you rearrange pictures in whichever order you please when you please) just be sure to check that the URL of the picture you are using doesn't change.

I learned this the hard way. I posted pictures of my kind of manicure in a thread and then inadvertently decided to do some tidying up of my Fotki album. I moved the nail pictures into an album of their own. A few months later, I wanted to help out a friend and pointed her to the thread. Well, would you know the pictures had turned into red X's. /images/graemlins/wallbash.gif And of course I don't think there's a way to go back, since I wouldn't have a clue the exact location they were when I first posted them. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif And since editing threads isn't possible after one day, I can't fix that thread. /images/graemlins/look.gif

Good thing this rule doesn't apply to avatars so you can move your pictures all you want and just remember to update your avatar in turn. /images/graemlins/grin.gif But if you never shift that picture about, it should stay put without you needing to do anything.

B

Bublnbrnsuga

I've been having issues with my avatars, too. Adding to my favorites list...

Shawnee66

Do you have to have a paid Fotki account to use the photos in an avatar? What are some of the free photo sites that you can use the pictures in an avatar?

SouthernGirl

Nonie,

I had problems again w/my avatar today, and I think it was as a result of changing my photos around. Thanks so much for the earlier posts!! Now I think I'll know what to do /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Shawnee66- I pay for my membership at Fotki, just so that I can have more space for photos. i'm not sure about other free sites.

Nonie

Glad to hear it, SouthernGirl. Once you're in the know it doesn't seem so tricky after all, does it? /images/graemlins/grin.gif