Aveda Anti-Humectant pomade

Irresistible

Hey everybody,

I have a quick question....im goin to a concert tommorow so i wanted to press my hair, i went and got the Aveda Universal styling creme and the anti-humectant pomade.

well this is how i did it, after washing and conditioning, i then sectioned my hair and rubbed little amounts of the universal stying creme in each section (more than the pea size recommended amount) , then rubbed in a little of the Anti humectant pomade in each section on top of that, and then braided up each section to dry over night , to press it out tommorow

my question is , the anti humectant says use on "dry" hair (i just saw that) did i mess it up by using it on wet hair first? also will this cause a problem in any way that i cant think of with the press? im also wondering if my hair will be heavy and weighed down some cause i used more than the amount recommended , as well as both products as opposed to just one, i just cant see a pea size amount working to cover all of my hair. ive never used this stuff before, so please help. i want my hair too look right and hold up tommorow at the prince concert
does this stuff help reversion? and hold straight styles well?
help!! i hope i did this right. any advice appreciated.

Iris

Isis

It does say use on "dry" hair. I use my Aveda Anti-Humectant pomade on my wet hair after I comb thru my leave-in to seal in the moisture. I use more than pea size also (not too much though) and then air dry my hair overnight. Then next day, I'll apply a little more to my dry hair after it has been styled - the last step. The first step was to seal in the moisture, the second application is to prevent outside moisture from reverting my hair.
I don't have the universal styling cream so I haven't tried both at the same time. think you'll be ok. Wet hair absorbs a lot of the good oils we put on it and Aveda has really good oils including castor oil.

I don't wear my relaxed hair in straight styles anymore in humidity. I've learned from this board to either wear it in a bun or updo, or wear a braid out. Is your hair relaxed or natural?

After you press your hair and style it, you may want to apply a little more Anti-Humectant to help prevent it from reverting. It doesn't work 100% but it does make a difference.

Isis

I really love your hair and length!! If your hair is natural, the Aveda Anti-Humectant pomade may work differently for you than it does for my relaxed hair. Hairlove has more experience with this product and can give you good advice.

Irresistible

[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
It does say use on "dry" hair. I use my Aveda Anti-Humectant pomade on my wet hair after I comb thru my leave-in to seal in the moisture. I use more than pea size also (not too much though) and then air dry my hair overnight. Then next day, I'll apply a little more to my dry hair after it has been styled - the last step. The first step was to seal in the moisture, the second application is to prevent outside moisture from reverting my hair.
I don't have the universal styling cream so I haven't tried both at the same time. think you'll be ok. Wet hair absorbs a lot of the good oils we put on it and Aveda has really good oils including castor oil.

I don't wear my relaxed hair in straight styles anymore in humidity. I've learned from this board to either wear it in a bun or updo, or wear a braid out. Is your hair relaxed or natural?

After you press your hair and style it, you may want to apply a little more Anti-Humectant to help prevent it from reverting. It doesn't work 100% but it does make a difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

hey Isis,

ok well i just did a first press run through cause i was worried, and it seems cool and soft and shiny, tommorow (well today now) will tell better though. but so far so good though. im natural, so i really really gotta worry about reversion even more. ok well i think its cool, lets hope anyway. thank you for responding Isis, i will report back on how it works , with pics maybe.

Irresistible

[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
I really love your hair and length!! If your hair is natural, the Aveda Anti-Humectant pomade may work differently for you than it does for my relaxed hair. Hairlove has more experience with this product and can give you good advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

uh oh
...waiting to hear from hairlove now. from what i can tell with the first press run through, i think it will be ok...it does seem a little oily though...but that might not be a bad thing.

thank you Isis

inthepink

Irresistible,

I think your hair will be fine. When relaxed, I typically used this on my dry hair but when I'd start to get new growth, I'd put it on my new growth with it while my hair was wet and it would just make my hair straighten out easier with the blowdrier. So, with pressing, I think it will work similarly. It can be greasy though so be careful with how much more you apply. Let us know how it turns out.

Do you press with a pressing comb or a flat iron?

Irresistible

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
Irresistible,

I think your hair will be fine. When relaxed, I typically used this on my dry hair but when I'd start to get new growth, I'd put it on my new growth with it while my hair was wet and it would just make my hair straighten out easier with the blowdrier. So, with pressing, I think it will work similarly. It can be greasy though so be careful with how much more you apply. Let us know how it turns out.

Do you press with a pressing comb or a flat iron?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for the bump Isis , i was so busy gettin ready for the concert that i didnt get to check back.

Hairlove, i press my hair. ive never used a flat iron nor have i had it flat ironed. im just accustomed to the pressing comb.

well i got the press done, and i will say that my hair did hold up well..it did boof and frizz some but it was still lookin good and not crazy. the Aveda universal styling creme is supposed to protect your hair up to 400 degrees and i dont know if thats what did it, but my hair seemed to be harder to press and require more heat. and it made my hair feel hard somewhat. i mean it wasnt hard, it just felt different. i know it sounds crazy but it reminded me of caucasion hair to the touch as far as the stregnth and feel of it....i didnt feel that it was a good thing..but it wasnt bad either, just different....but i didnt like how much more heat it took to get the job done, and for that money i shouldnt see a single frizz or the slightest boof lol.....but i did, not bad though. i really dont think it did as well as the Satin creme press. the Satin creme press lotion is still the best. i was really hoping the Aveda would be the next magic product...but nope..it wasnt bad, and i believe i would use it again. i just have mixed feelings about it. it was never greasy, it did give me high shine though. and it smells so so good. i took a few pics, but i need to take more later. my hair was actually already starting to frizz in spots on the way to concert.

inthepink

Your hair looks awesome! That protectant sounds interesting with the heat range protection but sorry that it didn't work out a little better!