Aveda Color... Anyone interested?

SummerSolstice

ETA: I AM NOT SELLING ANYTHING!!!! PM FOR THE LINK...
Also, I am fully prepared to instruct self colorists by pm if they are interested... I am currently doing so already. If the OP lacks info, its because I had planned on posting instructions as the thread progressed.
As always there is risk in using any chemical on your hair, however aveda color is SAFER.

I have nothing to gain from this thread aside from something to do during my boredom at work... and I love to talk color!!! So anyways...

If anyone is interested, I found a place to order aveda color.
I can pm the details after confirming that you are prepared for the task.

This is really cool because Aveda color is not available in any store... only to stylists at Aveda salons. So this could really help those who are pocket pinching like me :perplexed... or for someone who wants to use Aveda color but they don't work at an Aveda salon.
The benefits to using Aveda color are significant... the color is 97-99% plant based, so your hair actually improves in health while using it. I only use aveda color on my hair and its thriving.

Here is the complicated part:
Aveda color is based on mixing tones. Basically you start with the neutral color you desire from levels 1-10, 1 being the darkest, 10 being the lightest as shown on the left side of the chart.
The right side shows natural remaining pigment, we'll get to that later.

Then if you want the color to be more golden, more red, more ashy, etc., you add a certain amount of pigments.
Aveda offers gold, violet, red, blue... all different colors of pigments to add to the base color shown above.

So in summary, you start with the drab nuetral color, and then you add in pigments resulting in a highly personalized color.

If you are more advanced with self color, it won't be hard for you to do. If you are a stylist it REALLY shouldn't be hard to do.
If you are interested in being able to color your own hair with Aveda color feel free to ask me any questions you might have... I did my apprenticeship at an Aveda salon...

these are 2 examples of some aveda color work that i did. the first was redskins inspired. the 2nd, inspired by the tree...

so if anyone is interested I'm here in this thread to help.

I can be the best help if pics are posted of the desired result.

Last edited:

LadyPBC

I am interested. I only use henna now but to be honest I know absolutely nothing about coloring my hair. How does Aveda compare to henna - as far as having harmful chemicals, the ability to last, shine/sheen etc.? More importantly - how much will it cost to purchase the color from Aveda?

p.s. I love your colors especially the one that was inspired by the leaves on the tree! what if I wanted that color for my hair?

also ... what about touch ups - would it be damaging to cover all my hair again or should I just cover the new growth? Told you I know nothing:blush:

Last edited:

SummerSolstice

I am interested. I only use henna now but to be honest I know absolutely nothing about coloring my hair. How does Aveda compare to henna - as far as having harmful chemicals, the ability to last, shine/sheen etc.? More importantly - how much will it cost to purchase the color from Aveda?

p.s. I love your colors especially the one that was inspired by the leaves on the tree! what if I wanted that color for my hair?

also ... what about touch ups - would it be damaging to cover all my hair again or should I just cover the new growth? Told you I know nothing:blush:

As far as shine and sheen goes, aveda is by far the shiniest color I have seen. Also if you use multiple pigments you can see all of the colors. For instance with the violet that I did above, I used Red/Orange mixed with Red/Violet... In the light you could see red, orange, and violet. Rather than just a flat monotone color.
As far as retouching, as with any color you only want to color the roots, but as a refresher after 25 mins or so, you can add a bit of water to your hair and "smoosh" it all over for the last 5 mins of the process.
Aveda color "turns off" after a certain amount of time, so the "refresher" at the end is completely safe.
You can also use a semi permanent gloss with the same color on the length of your hair to refresh as well. And the glosses make your hair SOOOOO SHINY.

Sunshine_One

Hmmm I may be interested. I've had Aveda color in the past and it is very pretty. I'm currently in cosmetology school so this may be a good project for me.

leona2025

SummerSolsticeSO it's not damaging? Relaxed heads can use this? Is bleaching required? Is it a permanent color? What about the glosses are they safer for relaxed hair?

SummerSolstice

@SummerSolsticeSO it's not damaging? Relaxed heads can use this? Is bleaching required? Is it a permanent color? What about the glosses are they safer for relaxed hair?

no bleach, just color.
Aveda color is safer for relaxed hair than regular color because of the natural qualities (plants, oils, etc.)
the glosses are "safer" just because they don't lift and they have the same amount of plant essences, so you're getting all the benefits. Glosses don't really show up that much unless your hair is a level 5 or above (see chart in the OP)

ms.tatiana

just in time for the summer i really want a bright or dark red hair color, can i get that with this coloring on dark hair like color 2 on the chart?

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
no bleach, just color.
Aveda color is safer for relaxed hair than regular color because of the natural qualities (plants, oils, etc.)
the glosses are "safer" just because they don't lift and they have the same amount of plant essences, so you're getting all the benefits. Glosses don't really show up that much unless your hair is a level 5 or above (see chart in the OP)

Don't lie to these people! It's not the color that will damage their hair, it's the PEROXIDE and BLEACH, yes BLEACH that will they will have to use because color doesn't lift color. Both of which raises the cuticle and potentially cause further damage.

The first thing you start off with is THEIR natural hair color, not the desired level. They would need a color swatch to accurately find that. I could see if you're pushing Demi's, but permanent color is best left up to a professional.

I won't allow you to sacrifice these women's hard work and years of dedication to make a quick buck!

SummerSolstice

Don't lie to these people! It's not the color that will damage their hair, it's the PEROXIDE and BLEACH, yes BLEACH that will they will have to use because color doesn't lift color. Both of which raises the cuticle and potentially cause further damage.

The first thing you start off with is THEIR natural hair color, not the desired level. They would need a color swatch to accurately find that. I could see if you're pushing Demi's, but permanent color is best left up to a professional.

I won't allow you to sacrifice these women's hard work and years of dedication to make a quick buck!

No, I'm not lying. Permanent color is not bleach. I'm not selling anything :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Also, nobody in here asked me about color lifting color. If they did I would've said the same thing.
@topnotch1010

please don't sit here and derail my thread when I'm trying to offer other people a healthier color line thats not available in stores. If you want to get the woman's email to order some color I'll give it to you as well. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:

SummerSolstice

A856 since you thanked I also want to know from you where I mislead anyone?

Geez I'm sitting here trying to help some folks cuz I got a nice hookup and I get a thread derail. SMH.

pookaloo83

SummerSolstice said:
A856 since you thanked I also want to know from you where I mislead anyone?

Geez I'm sitting here trying to help some folks cuz I got a nice hookup and I get a thread derail. SMH.

And just like any other thread members have to and should do their own research. You're just suggesting and giving us a hook up. I don't see the big deal so.....

Sent from my iPhone 4s

topnotch1010

No, I'm not lying. Permanent color is not bleach. I'm not selling anything :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Also, nobody in here asked me about color lifting color. If they did I would've said the same thing.
@topnotch1010

please don't sit here and derail my thread when I'm trying to offer other people a healthier color line thats not available in stores. If you want to get the woman's email to order some color I'll give it to you as well. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Honey, I have a license. I can get it IF I want it. It's obvious that there was lift in the first picture. C'mon now! Again, COLOR DOES NOT LIFT COLOR. It has to have peroxide. Even activators contain peroxide.

SummerSolstice

With a double 40. How do they know if they in fact NEED 7 levels of lift? Do you know how damaging it is to go 7 levels on a relaxed head?

topnotch1010
:rolleyes:
LOL I'm a stylist hun. I know the difference between color and bleach. Yes there is room for damage, but ultimately less damage occurs when using high lift color.
Have you even worked with the Aveda deep line? I'm currently a single process Level 7 using Aveda deep y/o and my hair is growing and thriving.
I am not lying to anyone and if anyone had asked me, a blonde, if blonde would damage their hair, then I would've said yes, but aveda is a safer route.
As for reds and browns around levels 4-6... come onnnnn... the color is safe and it also increases hair health, when done properly.
I wanted to open the discussion and give other people who DON't want to go to an aveda salon and pay $110 for color, the opportunity to spend $30 from a private seller and do it in their own home.
I'm the bad guy? Girl, bye.
I don't doubt you have knowledge of color, but I don't understand why you ran in here jumpin on my back :nono::nono::nono:

SummerSolstice

Honey, I have a license. I can get it IF I want it. It's obvious that there was lift in the first picture. C'mon now! Again, COLOR DOES NOT LIFT COLOR. It has to have peroxide. Even activators contain peroxide.

No, you can't... its not available unless its in salons. If you were versed on aveda color you would know that.
I don't know why u started this fight with me. I'm not ur enemy.

topnotch1010

And just like any other thread members have to and should do their own research. You're just suggesting and giving us a hook up. I don't see the big deal so.....

Sent from my iPhone 4s

It may not be a big deal to you, but I know how much damage this could cause. I'd be wrong to just sit here and not say anything. Plus, the info in the OP is wrong and omitting the facts.

topnotch1010

No, you can't... its not available unless its in salons. If you were versed on aveda color you would know that.
I don't know why u started this fight with me. I'm not ur enemy.

I'm not fighting with you, I'm just stating the facts. I don't use Aveda in MY SALON, I use Joico and getting Aveda is just a phone call away.

SummerSolstice

It may not be a big deal to you, but I know how much damage this could cause. I'd be wrong to just sit here and not say anything. Plus, the info in the OP is wrong and omitting the facts.

MMMkay thanks for your opinion. I still don't see why you jumped on me like that. SMH... what is this battle of the stylists? Your color and cut are lovely, clearly you are knowledgeable, there is no need to try and strike me down...

Especially if you haven't worked with this color line... I still don't get you... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

SummerSolstice

I'm not fighting with you, I'm just stating the facts. I don't use Aveda in MY SALON, I use Joico and getting Aveda is just a phone call away.

topnotch1010
Your salon must be an affiliate salon to get aveda color... that means that 30% of your product must be aveda and they have to come to your location to educate and approve each stylist and the salon...
did they do that at your location? i am left to assume no, considering the color isn't sitting on your station right now.
again please lets not have this conversation cuz I'm an aveda baby and i know what i'm talking about.

SummerSolstice

and ultimately you don't know anything about this line of color so PLEASE can we not derail this thread, I was only trying to help...
if you only use joico i could see why this thread seems decieving... aveda color is VERY different from other colors, and also exclusive.

topnotch1010

topnotch1010
:rolleyes:
LOL I'm a stylist hun. I know the difference between color and bleach. Yes there is room for damage, but ultimately less damage occurs when using high lift color.
Have you even worked with the Aveda deep line? I'm currently a single process Level 7 using Aveda deep y/o and my hair is growing and thriving.
I am not lying to anyone and if anyone had asked me, a blonde, if blonde would damage their hair, then I would've said yes, but aveda is a safer route.
As for reds and browns around levels 4-6... come onnnnn... the color is safe and it also increases hair health, when done properly.
I wanted to open the discussion and give other people who DON't want to go to an aveda salon and pay $110 for color, the opportunity to spend $30 from a private seller and do it in their own home.
I'm the bad guy? Girl, bye.
I don't doubt you have knowledge of color, but I don't understand why you ran in here jumpin on my back :nono::nono::nono:

Again, how would they even know what level they are, which they need to know to get this "personalized color" they want to get to?

It doesn't matter what color line they use, going for blonde takes a lot out of the hair and requires a lot of maintenence. $110 is a fraction of the costs most of us have spent to get our hair healthy and you can't put a number on the time we've spent.

I've said my peace. If they want to proceed on the EXTREMELY LIMITED KNOWLEDGE you just gave them, fine. THEY'VE BEEN WARNED.