Aveda DR and Mizani Thermasmooth Users, I need strong & straight hair...help

kiesha8185

Hi guys! I know I was supposed to keep my twists in until December, but I'm breaking down and removing them next week. I really want to see the length of my hair without getting a relaxer (trying to stretch for 1 year), so I'm thinking about getting a dominican rollerset. I wanted to use the Aveda Damage Remedy line for my first wash after taking out the twists, and let my hair rest. Then I wanna get a Dominican rollerset the first week of November. I'm thinking about bringing the Mizani Thermasmooth line at the Dominican salon to make sure that all my new growth gets straight...and maybe a clear cellophane for shine.... :spinning:
  • For the Aveda DR users, is this line geared more towards giving protein or moisture to the hair? What did it do for you? My hair LOVES and needs protein. I haven't done a hardcore protein treat since May, and my hair usually needs it every 3 months.
  • For the Mizani Thermasmooth users, does this line get your new growth relaxer straight? I have about 5-6 inches of new growth, due to underprocessing by Phyto. Hopefully with all that blowfrying heat, my roots will be straight :grin:
Does this sound like a good idea to getting strong and straight hair?? Is two weeks enough time for my hair to "rest" before getting a Dominican rollerset?? Thanks in advance for every one's advice, and I promise to post pics and update my fotki :look:

kiesha8185

:bump:

Anyone with some advice...:prettyplease:

P.S. I really would like to buy some samples for both the Aveda DR line (shampoo, conditioner, treatment) and the Mizani Thermasmooth line (shampoo, conditioner, serum, spritz) if anyone has any they're willing to give up...:blowkiss:

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!
Hiya, Kiesha:

I use (and like) both of these products. The Aveda DR line has quinoa protein in it, though I would consider it a mild or medium protein. I'm currently going natural and I have about 5-6 inches of new growth. When I use Aveda DR, my hair feels incredibly strong, my NG curls and spirals are very defined and moisturized and there's hardly any breakage at that line of demarcation between the two textures. I feel that it effectively provides both the strength of protein and moisture to boot. I would highly recommend this product to anyone, especially if you say your hair likes protein.

Now, the Mizani Thermasmooth System I only use once a month. Normally, I go to the salon to get this done (by Balisi), but I did apply the system to my own hair once. It easily gets my new growth straight every single time. In fact, when I get it flat ironed with the Mizani system, people think I gave up going natural and just got a relaxer. That's how well it works on my hair. The only problem with it is that it weighs my hair down (that serum is heavy on my fine strands). All in all, I would definitely recommend it to straighten NG, since it offers so much heat protection. But I would caution you not to straighten your hair too much. You don't wanna kill the beautiful curls.

Hope that helps.

kiesha8185

Hiya, Kiesha:

I use (and like) both of these products. The Aveda DR line has quinoa protein in it, though I would consider it a mild or medium protein. I'm currently going natural and I have about 5-6 inches of new growth. When I use Aveda DR, my hair feels incredibly strong, my NG curls and spirals are very defined and moisturized and there's hardly any breakage at that line of demarcation between the two textures. I feel that it effectively provides both the strength of protein and moisture to boot. I would highly recommend this product to anyone, especially if you say your hair likes protein.

Now, the Mizani Thermasmooth System I only use once a month. Normally, I go to the salon to get this done (by Balisi), but I did apply the system to my own hair once. It easily gets my new growth straight every single time. In fact, when I get it flat ironed with the Mizani system, people think I gave up going natural and just got a relaxer. That's how well it works on my hair. The only problem with it is that it weighs my hair down (that serum is heavy on my fine strands). All in all, I would definitely recommend it to straighten NG, since it offers so much heat protection. But I would caution you not to straighten your hair too much. You don't wanna kill the beautiful curls.

Hope that helps.

Thanks so much for your response, I was getting a little anxious over here...:drunk: Since the DR line is only a mild protein, I hope that doing an Aphogee hardcore treat won't be too much. My hair can tolerate alot of protein for some reason... As far as Thermasmooth goes, I'm really leaning towards bringing this for my dominican rollerset. I don't really use heat often (probably used it 3 times since January) cuz I'm anti-heat and anti-salon. But I figure if I'm gonna use heat, I might as well go all out and get my hair straight! I've never had this much new growth before so I'm hoping Thermasmooth really lays it down. Thanks again!!!!

ElegantExotic

Hi guys! I know I was supposed to keep my twists in until December, but I'm breaking down and removing them next week. I really want to see the length of my hair without getting a relaxer (trying to stretch for 1 year), so I'm thinking about getting a dominican rollerset. I wanted to use the Aveda Damage Remedy line for my first wash after taking out the twists, and let my hair rest. Then I wanna get a Dominican rollerset the first week of November. I'm thinking about bringing the Mizani Thermasmooth line at the Dominican salon to make sure that all my new growth gets straight...and maybe a clear cellophane for shine.... :spinning:
  • For the Aveda DR users, is this line geared more towards giving protein or moisture to the hair? What did it do for you? My hair LOVES and needs protein. I haven't done a hardcore protein treat since May, and my hair usually needs it every 3 months.
  • For the Mizani Thermasmooth users, does this line get your new growth relaxer straight? I have about 5-6 inches of new growth, due to underprocessing by Phyto. Hopefully with all that blowfrying heat, my roots will be straight :grin:
Does this sound like a good idea to getting strong and straight hair?? Is two weeks enough time for my hair to "rest" before getting a Dominican rollerset?? Thanks in advance for every one's advice, and I promise to post pics and update my fotki :look:

Umm, totally of subject, but what are you putting in your hair to make it so black??? I need it!!!