avocado hair masque

Lilmama1011

Anyone do it and the results? I have seen on YouTube, some put mayo with it but i don't want to do a protein treatment, what do you mix with yours or have you done just straight up avocados? I'm looking to do it this saturday

Last edited:

RngdeCurls

I've done avacados, honey and olive oil and it was amazing! Tangles just melted, and it left my hair so soft and shiny. Honestly, the best hair masque I'd ever used!

I'd probably still be using it if I hadn't realized that I was allergic to avacados. My head was on fire that day, but at least my hair looked good! Haha

CityGirlLuv

I've done with straight up avocados and I've mixed it with yogurt before and also with coconut juice (meant to get the milk but oh well). I like it straight and also with yogurt. The coconut juice mixed in it made it soft but it was on the dry side (if that makes sense).

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
I like plain avocado masques.
I also cosign on the avocado, honey, olive oil mix. I doubt there's a better commercial product. I have yet to encounter it if it exists.
One caveat, use a super ripe avocado &/or a good blender. I learned my lesson from picking out bits of avocado from my hair over the course of a week. :-\ Luckily, that experience didn't deter me from trying again.
HTH! :)

via LHCF App

VivaMac

Avocado, castor oil, grape seed oil, and black strap molasses. Result best wash and go with great curl definition.
I use avocado as base and add what I want depending on results needed.

hnntrr

How long do ya'll let the mixture set? I use the avacado oil and it works well for me, might try this out to go along with my DC

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
I let mine marinate for at least 30 minutes. I only leave it on longer when I'm being lazy or when I accidentally fall asleep

via LHCF App

prettybyrd

I'm always so jealous when I hear about other people having success with avocado treatments. I used honey, olive oil, banana, and avocado on my hair once and noticed no difference in how it felt.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Tried it once and I'll never do it again. It stunk and left little bits all in my hair. I saw no benefits from it. To much hastle to make and not have good results.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Ann0804

I did an avocado mask last month. I used avocado, olive oil, honey and two tablespoons of coconut milk. I left it on for about 45 minutes then rinsed, washed, then conditioned my hair.

I honestly didn't like it on my hair. My hair felt like I had used a hard protein, so I made sure to do a moisturizing deep conditioning treatment afterwards.

Last edited:

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
Did you use a really good clarifyier first? Preferably a shampoo?
A lot of the time, especially if you use cones &/or parabens, certain hair treatments can't penetrate the hair shaft because of all of the product buildup/coatings.

I'm always so jealous when I hear about other people having success with avocado treatments. I used honey, olive oil, banana, and avocado on my hair once and noticed no difference in how it felt.

via LHCF App

prettybyrd

Did you use a really good clarifyier first? Preferably a shampoo?
A lot of the time, especially if you use cones &/or parabens, certain hair treatments can't penetrate the hair shaft because of all of the product buildup/coatings.

via LHCF App

I don't remember if I used a clarifying shampoo prior....hmm. I use natural products and shy away from parabens and other agents that are unhealthy for the hair and body. I don't use silicone on my natural hair either.

Maybe my hair just doesn't like avocado. Individually, I love honey on my hair when I mix it in my DC, but my hair doesn't respond to the other ingredients well either. It may be a good thing that my hair doesn't like food I'd rather eat. :)

cutenss

I just did one over the weekend with an avocado, olive oil (the real stuff) and Agave nectar. I used a heat cap with mine. I am going to try it without heat. I did have to follow it up with a moisturizing conditioner (SM Purification Mask and Loreal Ever Strong Deep Masque), because my hair felt "weird", almost straw-like.

I am going to try again on Sunday. Will the molasses or the banana give moisture?

Cersei

I tried this after getting my hair straightened. Used avocado, egg, honey, coconut milk and coconut oil. It left my hair kind of hard though. :\ When I get my hair straightened again later this month I think I'll skip the egg.

rririla

I tried it a twice but it just doesn't work for me. Like Pocahontas said, it "smells" and it turned a weird brown color like the avocado was going bad or something...and I mixed well but didnt put in a blender so I had lil pieces left over after washing...I only mixed it with coconut oil so maybe I needed to use honey as other ladies have suggested. I don't think I will try it again though because the benefits don't seem to outweigh all the fuss....

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I tried it a twice but it just doesn't work for me. Like Pocahontas said, it "smells" and it turned a weird brown color like the avocado was going bad or something...and I mixed well but didnt put in a blender so I had lil pieces left over after washing...I only mixed it with coconut oil so maybe I needed to use honey as other ladies have suggested. I don't think I will try it again though because the benefits don't seem to outweigh all the fuss....

Exactly what ^^^ said is what I experienced. Would never try it again due to the smell alone.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

jerseyhaircare

Update. I blended the ingredients in a food processor to get a smooth textute. I left it on for over an hour, used a heating cap for 20 mins. Washing is a bit tricky-make sure to rinse thoroughly to get all the particles out. Once down my hair felt a little rough but stronger. I conditioned with Humectress with made my hair softer. After rinsing out I had very little shedding (my hair have been shedding in clumps all this week). I braided my hair and will wear as a braid out tomorrow. I'll keep you posted on the results.

Lilmama1011

Blended it made it creamy and i still got some left, its in the fridge probably for next week. I sat without heat for they minutes and fifteen minutes under dryer

ForumRunner_20130803_205638.jpg

Lilmama1011

It wasn't soft like i figured but made my hair stronger, i lost one hair while finger detangling in the shower :) And then i put conditioner on and rinsed it out and instantly was soft as soon as the conditioner touched it . I might do that instead of protein treatment and you can do it weekly which i might do every other week without getting protein over lost. I like it but it was funny because i thought my hair would be normal getting after rinsing it but it felt like a protein treatment lol. Bout to moisturize seal and put my lottabody in and do my four flexi rods and airdry and take out tomorrow which is my favorite, so simple and nice results, curlformers take too long, maybe next week

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I've done avacados, honey and olive oil and it was amazing! Tangles just melted, and it left my hair so soft and shiny. Honestly, the best hair masque I'd ever used!

I'd probably still be using it if I hadn't realized that I was allergic to avacados. My head was on fire that day, but at least my hair looked good! Haha

RngdeCurls, this sounds amazing. Sorry about your scalp. Hope all was well in the end. I will give this a try. The blending thing kinda scares me as I hate spending a lot of time chopping, mixing and blending. Do you recall the recipe you used?

Lilmama1011

Did you deep condition after RngdeCurls

Osha

I used avacado EVOO and an egg. Didn't notice any difference, maybe I did it wrong. I did it on dry hair then cowashed it out.

jerseyhaircare

Osha-drool worthy hair.:lick:

Update-my hair is much stronger with yesterday's wash. Very few shed hairs and better curl definition. Con-drier than usual, but that is my fault-I deep conditioned before the hair masque. Would definitely do it again-either as a pre treatment or will mix it in with my DC.

RngdeCurls

RngdeCurls, this sounds amazing. Sorry about your scalp. Hope all was well in the end. I will give this a try. The blending thing kinda scares me as I hate spending a lot of time chopping, mixing and blending. Do you recall the recipe you used?

I walked away with hair on my head if that's what you meant. :grin: Be sure to find a really ripe avacado and then the blending isn't so bad. Matter of fact, I was able to mash it out with a fork and it was still pretty smooth. And I'm sorry but I didn't have a recipe, I kinda just eyeballed it. As long as you get a thick, paste-like consistency, it should be fine. Good luck!
Did you deep condition after RngdeCurls

I didn't have to. My hair was so moisturized that I was able to seal, style and go. I hope it works out as well for you.