Ayurveda Support Thread

bravenewgirl87

Thanks for letting me know that this thread was needed, Ayanna.

This is for all the ladies who need help with indian oils, products, Ayurveda, etc.

caribgirl

Great idea. I want to start using my powders and oils this weekend. What are some regimens that you ladies have coined your own for poos, conditioners and leave ins?

Chrissy811

I will be making my end of year trip to get supplies to hold me until spring. I will hopefully come back with lots if new goodies....I WILL BE BACK!!!

nakialovesshoes

Great idea. I want to start using my powders and oils this weekend. What are some regimens that you ladies have coined your own for poos, conditioners and leave ins?

Daily I oil w/Vatika. On Tuesdays I do a prepoo of Vatika all over & Amla oil mainly on my ends & then I scrub my scalp w/Shikakai oil. I do a rinse w/1 tbsp of each: shikakai powder, amla powder & aritha powder mixed in 2 cups of boiling water. B/c I don't have time to rinse for 20 minutes, I grind my powders w/a mortar & pestle & I also strain the tea. I leave the rinse in for about 5 mins & then I rinse & cond. After I rinse the cond, I do an oil rinse w/regular coconut oil & when I get out of the shower, I use a leave-in.

On Fridays I do a prepoo of several things: amla oil, castor oil, basil EO, peppermint EO, thyme EO, aloe vera gel & some left over Cocasta oil (the majority of the prepoo is the Amla). I leave this on overnight. On Saturday mornings I scrub my scalp w/Shiakakai oil & then I rinse the prepoo out & wash w/my shikakai shampoo bar & then I do a rinse w/1 tbsp each of the amla & aritha powders leaving the shikakai out. I leave it on for about 5 mins & then I rinse & do a DC. After I rinse the DC, if I'm doing a rollerset & flat iron, then I don't follow up w/a coconut oil rinse, I just do a leave in.

I've been unable to find the brahmi powder at any of the Indian grocery stores close to me but I'm going to start adding a tbsp of it to my rinses.

soonergirl

hey ladies just used the shikakai shampoo bar, this one had amla and bhranji (sp?) in it too... after i rinsed my hair felt sooo weird, but a good weird... It felt stronger... I then put a dab of joico intense hydrator on it rinsed and put it back in a bun.... I like this.....

Blossssom

I haven't used the powders yet, but I'm using the Amla/Shikakai oil and I think my hair has gotten THICKER!

I've gotten past the hideous scent too.

nappity

My journal is open on this board .
I am meticulously chronicling this adventure. Its a good regimen to try.
So far- so good- except for one Shikakai disaster.
Sareca has inspired me to make Hibiscus Petal Powder Oil. HPP is an emollient that I will add to my next Shikakai oil mix to see if my hair doesn't react as badly as it did when i used the shikakai oil on my hair. My recipe you ask
1TBSP Hibicus Petal Powder
I cup Grapeseed Oil
Cook in baby crockpotfor 4 hours
strain with fine sieve lined with cheesecloth
let sit-strain again if you don't like sediment at the bottom of your oil.

carameldiva

I simply put a tblsp of 3-4 ayurvedic powders into my plastic coffee pot strainer. Then i add 6 cups of water and make an herbal tea. I use this daily after i co-wash. I make sure that it sits in the refrigerator overnite first. Each batch is good for 4 days.

I also oil my scalp with himgange ayurvedic oil/rosemary oil/castor oil.

I henna weekly and add neem, amla, tulsi, shikakai and aritha powders to it.

BeautifulFlower

BeautifulFlower

My usage of Ayurveda is simple.

I use coconut oil on my hair and amla on my scalp everyday. I try to give myself a quick scalp massage everyday as well. I pre-poo with Amla and Shikakai, and once a week i'll wash with Shikakai Shampoo Bar and the next with CON. And I always DC with CON Moisturizing and Conditioning Conditioner. My hair is soft, shiny, stronger, and thick. I love. My regimen stays simple.

Dogmd

Mine is pretty simple as well.

I oil with coconut oil daily ( vatika, parachute, monoi)
I pre-poo with one of the oils overnight 1x weekly ( Brahmi, Bhringraj, amla)
then rinse well. Apply powder rinse (amla/ shikakai) let it sit 5 minutes. Rinse well again and then DC with a moisturizing conditioner. Very soft and silky hair...EVERYTIME!!!

Last edited:

TCT

I KNOW IM ALL LATE BUT DOES EVERYONE ELSES AMLA OIL HAVE THE TOP INGREDIENT LISTED AS MINERAL OIL? I DIDNT PAY ATENTION TO THAT IN THE STORE BUT WHEN I GOT HOME AND LOOKED I SAID THIS CANT B IT!

LET ME KNOW IF I HAVE THE WRONG THING PLEASE?

AvaSpeaks

I KNOW IM ALL LATE BUT DOES EVERYONE ELSES AMLA OIL HAVE THE TOP INGREDIENT LISTED AS MINERAL OIL? I DIDNT PAY ATENTION TO THAT IN THE STORE BUT WHEN I GOT HOME AND LOOKED I SAID THIS CANT B IT!

Someone please answer her question because I want to know too.

gressr

All that i have found contain mineral oil. You can make your own amla oil, there are several recipes floating around on how to make oil infusions.

MonaLisa

Mine is pretty simple as well.

I oil with coconut oil daily ( vatika, parachute, monoi)
I pre-poo with one of the oils overnight 1x weekly ( Brahmi, Bhringraj, amla)
then rinse well. Apply powder rinse (amla/ shikakai) let it sit 5 minutes. Rinse well again and then DC with a moisturizing conditioner. Very soft and silky hair...EVERYTIME!!!

Trying this out now....about to rinse out the overnight pre-poo, about to apply the powder rinse in the show and then dc.

TCT

All that i have found contain mineral oil. You can make your own amla oil, there are several recipes floating around on how to make oil infusions.

OH MY GOODNESS, U MEAN TO TELL ME! I CANT TAKE THE THING BACK NOW. SO IM STUCK WTH A POOR CLOGGING OIL, THATS PROBABLY ONLY LIGHTLEY INFUSSED WITH AMLA. I KNW MANY THNGS HAVE MINERAL OIL IN THEM, BUT THIS PRODUCTS TOP INGREDIENT IS MINERAL OIL. OH WEL, THE MILK IS SPILT NOW. SO CAN SOME1 PLEASE LET ME KNOW FROM HERE WHAT I SHOULD BE GETTING/BUYING? WHAT IS T NAME BAND OF HE OIL?

THANK YA'LL

BeautifulFlower

Yes, Most of us all use Dabur Amla and it does have mineral oil as top ingredient. Mineral oil is not all that bad to me. You can see for yourself: http://thebeautybrains.com/2006/12/01/myths-about-mineral-oil-part-2/. Mineral oil really doesnt effect the health of my hair. Most of my hair products do not contain it but it a couple contain it, I do not think your hair will fall from your head.

Josie

OH MY GOODNESS, U MEAN TO TELL ME! I CANT TAKE THE THING BACK NOW. SO IM STUCK WTH A POOR CLOGGING OIL, THATS PROBABLY ONLY LIGHTLEY INFUSSED WITH AMLA. I KNW MANY THNGS HAVE MINERAL OIL IN THEM, BUT THIS PRODUCTS TOP INGREDIENT IS MINERAL OIL. OH WEL, THE MILK IS SPILT NOW. SO CAN SOME1 PLEASE LET ME KNOW FROM HERE WHAT I SHOULD BE GETTING/BUYING? WHAT IS T NAME BAND OF HE OIL?

THANK YA'LL

TCT, you can find Amla oil that doesn't contain mineral oil here:
http://www.massageking.com/products/Personal+Care/Bazaar+of+India+Amla+Hair+Oil/1328/1/1.
HTH. Josie

BK Bombshell

My journal is open on this board .
I am meticulously chronicling this adventure. Its a good regimen to try.
So far- so good- except for one Shikakai disaster.
Sareca has inspired me to make Hibiscus Petal Powder Oil. HPP is an emollient that I will add to my next Shikakai oil mix to see if my hair doesn't react as badly as it did when i used the shikakai oil on my hair. My recipe you ask
1TBSP Hibicus Petal Powder
I cup Grapeseed Oil
Cook in baby crockpotfor 4 hours
strain with fine sieve lined with cheesecloth
let sit-strain again if you don't like sediment at the bottom of your oil.

Hi Nappity4b,

Where do you get the HPP?

ellebelle88

I am sooo very late on this because I recently started visiting the boards again. I'm trying to get the hang of ayurveda products. First of all, where can they be purchased (online and in-person) and also what are the price range for these products. Thanks to all who answer!

kiesha8185

Hi everyone!

I have some tips for some of you that may be having problems with hard hair when using Ayurvedic products. I have finally found a regimen that works for me, so here are some things that I have done that really helped. My hair does not get hard at all anymore when any mixture is in my hair, it is soft the whole way through.

Strain everything.

This sounds like common sense, but my dumb self used these mixtures straight :nono: Since I like to make my own teas, rinses, and oils from powders, it really helps to strain it before you use it.

Use 40:60 ratio of water and oil to make mixtures.

All of the rinses and teas I use in my hair are strained, and heavily diluted with oil and water. I still get the benefit of the powders without getting this stuff stuck in my hair. I tried making pastes but that just does not work at all. The more diluted the mixture, the better. The consistency is very watery.

Add these teas and rinses to oiled hair.

I know a lot of you oil your hair overnight with coconut oil or amla oil. I suggest not washing out the oil before adding the teas and rinses to your hair. It does not prevent the teas/rinses from working, and keeps your hair pliable and easy to work with, acting like a "buffer" against the mixtures.

Big thanks to Whimsy :drunk: She suggested that I do the overnight oil treatment on dry hair as opposed to wet/damp hair. It really does work better. Although my hair uses a lot more oil when dry than when wet, my hair felt much softer doing it this way. Thanks, Whimsy!!

With that being said, here's my regimen. It's very low-maintenance and very very simple.
  1. Apply Ayurvedic oil mixture to dry, dirty hair for 1 hour-overnight.
  2. Apply Ayurvedic wash mixture to my hair for an hour (don't rinse out the oil that was in your hair previously).
  3. Rinse out the Ayurveda wash mixture for 5 minutes with hot water.
  4. Deep condition.
  5. Rinse out with cold water.
  6. Airdry.
I just named them this cuz I dunno what else to call them :look::spinning: Nothing special, just a whole bunch of oils/powders that I mixed together.

Ayurvedic oil mixture: Dabur Amla Oil, Parachute Coconut Oil, Vatika Coconut Oil, Dabur Olive Oil, Castor Oil, Shikakai Oil

Ayurvedic wash mixture: I mix henna powder, indigo powder, amla powder, shikakai powder, neem powder and ritha powder in a bowl, maybe 2 tablespoons of each. Add 3 cups of water and let this sit overnight. The next day, strain it very well and add 2 cups of the Ayurvedic oil mixture. Pour this mixture in a bottle and use it as needed. This last me 6-8 washes. The only time I get in the shower is to rinse out the conditioner, I hate jumping in and out of the shower.

I will be adding more oils and powders as I buy more things :grin: I just get the benefit from everything by mixing them all together, no need to do separate treatments. I hope this helps you guys out.

Remember, K.I.S.S.!!!!!