Ayurveda Support Thread

4HisGlory

Anyone interested in some Ayurvedic powders and shampoo that I have for sale??? PM me

Shakakai, Amla, Tutsi, Aritha Powders, Shakakai bar, Aritha Shampoo (still in plastic) $10 for all + 5.65 shipping

Platinum

:bump:

I decided to go back to Ayurvedic cowashes. I can't believe I stopped doing these. I'm also planning to make my homemade oil infusions again.

princesskaha

Daily I oil w/Vatika. On Tuesdays I do a prepoo of Vatika all over & Amla oil mainly on my ends & then I scrub my scalp w/Shikakai oil. I do a rinse w/1 tbsp of each: shikakai powder, amla powder & aritha powder mixed in 2 cups of boiling water. B/c I don't have time to rinse for 20 minutes, I grind my powders w/a mortar & pestle & I also strain the tea. I leave the rinse in for about 5 mins & then I rinse & cond. After I rinse the cond, I do an oil rinse w/regular coconut oil & when I get out of the shower, I use a leave-in.

On Fridays I do a prepoo of several things: amla oil, castor oil, basil EO, peppermint EO, thyme EO, aloe vera gel & some left over Cocasta oil (the majority of the prepoo is the Amla). I leave this on overnight. On Saturday mornings I scrub my scalp w/Shiakakai oil & then I rinse the prepoo out & wash w/my shikakai shampoo bar & then I do a rinse w/1 tbsp each of the amla & aritha powders leaving the shikakai out. I leave it on for about 5 mins & then I rinse & do a DC. After I rinse the DC, if I'm doing a rollerset & flat iron, then I don't follow up w/a coconut oil rinse, I just do a leave in.

I've been unable to find the brahmi powder at any of the Indian grocery stores close to me but I'm going to start adding a tbsp of it to my rinses.
hi!have you been keeping up with this regimen?how is your hair liking it?I'm particularly curious to find out if you noticed a difference in effectiveness between using rinses as you describe here and using pastes? tia

lovelycurls

Prepooed hair friday night with hv vatika frosting oil, hv cocoasta oil and African pride herbal oil.
Did an ayurvedic rinse yesterday with:
2tbsp bhrangraj powder, 1tbsp hibiscus powder, 1tbsp amla powder, 1tsp tulsi powder, avj, honey, hot water
Mixed all together, poured over hair
Covered hair with plastic cap for 30mins. Rinsed.
Hair feels silky soft, strong and curls defined.

Lucia

Nubenap22
Mixing the bhrami with cassia powder is fine you shouldn't have any problem with it. If you really want the full effect of the brhami to ge the benefits in the description posted above you should use it alone as a paste rub into your scalp then coat hair with it leave in it for 20-30 minutes or make tea rinse with it (you use less powder that way) let then sit for 5-10 minutes, then rinse DC with a moisturizing conditioner. The less ingredients you put in the paste or tea the better so boiled water is just fine to make the mix then let it sit to cool.

I've stopped using the powders, but when I did it got me over the growth humps really fast. I used brhami and brhingaraj half and half mostly tea rinses, sometimes pastes. the pastes are really messy and soil the tub so I stopped those. I use the oils now and do ayurvedic scalp massages, saves me time, effort and I still get great results when I'm consistent.

Last edited:

Aggie

I did a kalpi tone cowash this morning and I still like this powder. Too bad they don't make it anymore. I only have a few of them left and will be sad when they're all done:sad:.

MayaNatural

Do you think it's ok to add Ayurveda products to your regiment if your hair is dyed? I feel so limited when it comes to adding Tea rinses, Coffee, powders and herbs into my regiment because I don't want to mess up my hair color and have my hair looking crazy. I'm trying to thicken my hair and was going to add Fenugreek to my regiment, I think that is safe. Thanks in advance!!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Lucia

Do you think it's ok to add Ayurveda products to your regiment if your hair is dyed? I feel so limited when it comes to adding Tea rinses, Coffee, powders and herbs into my regiment because I don't want to mess up my hair color and have my hair looking crazy. I'm trying to thicken my hair and was going to add Fenugreek to my regiment, I think that is safe. Thanks in advance!!

MayaNatural

Yes but only herb infuses oils or herb powders
Not henna it will change the color especially if your highlighted or dyed blonde some herbs make hair darker so check first? Cassia might be ok too doesn't change existing color

MayaNatural

MayaNatural Yes but only herb infuses oils or herb powders Not henna it will change the color especially if your highlighted or dyed blonde some herbs make hair darker so check first? Cassia might be ok too doesn't change existing color

Lucia Thank you so much!!! I'm excited to get started using Ayurvedic products.

Platinum

I didn't use Ayurveda products for much of 2013.:sad: I'm planning to wear sew-ins for most of 2014 so I'm going to do tea rinses and oil infusions.

Platinum

:bump: Anyone still using Ayurveda?

Back on Ayurveda. I'm newly loc'd now so I'll use my oils mainly on the scalp. I'm trying to figure out how to make a good Ayurvedic daily spritz though.

flowinlocks do you have any suggestions on making a daily spritz for a loc'd head?

Last edited:

Lucia

:bump: Anyone still using Ayurveda? Back on Ayurveda. I'm newly loc'd now so I'll use my oils mainly on the scalp. I'm trying to figure out how to make a good Ayurvedic daily spritz though. flowinlocks do you have any suggestions on making a daily spritz for a loc'd head?

Platinum
Never completely stopped using Ayurveda it always worked on my hair so why change.
I use oils and sometimes cassia I used to use henna too

charmtreese

I still use Ayurveda.

I use different powders in my pre-poo and daily I use this oil that I cannot pronounce Mahabhringraj Oil.

ilong

God's Own
I only use Mahabhringraj oil! A couple of weeks ago I almost purchased some garlic oil, but decided to make my own instead.

ilong

God's Own
I whip Shea butter with oils for my hair dressing. Although I add a few different oils, I primarily use Mahabhringraj oil in my whipped butter.

Lucia

Im still using Ayurvedic oils but I make my own and I'm back to the teas but I use curly proverbs on YT method of making and straining the tea then putting it in a sprayer bottle I mist my length 2-3 x a week now with that works great less messy than the paste.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I'm reading thru the thread but need a little help with the following powders:

Bhringaraj

Jatamansi (corrected the spelling)

Do you use either or both and how often can you use these?

Last edited:

Aggie

Bhringaraj

Jetmansi

I like and have used bhringraj. I know that it is a moisturizing powder that aids in growth. My hair really likes this one. I've never heard of the Jetmansi.

Bibliophile

Hair toy Aficionado

Bhringaraj

Jetmansi

I've used both.
Majabhringraj/Bhringraj/Maka is the best herb for hair care. It's called the "King of Hair". I make a tea with the powder or mix it with my deep conditioner.
Now use a hair oil (Baidynath, Ramtirth, or Ramkrishna Vidyut) daily.

Jatamansi/nard/muskroot is Indian spikenard. It has a scent similar to vetivert and myrrh. My local Indian grocer no longer stocks spikenard because it is expensive. My herbal shampoo powders (meera, Kesh dhawan) & hair oils (anoop, Sesa, diva kesh taila) have it as an ingredient. I use the oils daily. When I had the powder I would mix a pinch in my deep conditioner before applying.

Last edited:

Lucia

Bhringaraj

Jetmansi

I use brhjngaraj and it's great for growth and softness manageability. I use other Ayurvedic powders like brhami, shikaiaki, fenugreek, and amla. I don't use them all together I don't mix more than 3 max powders together at a time (cause you could get one that cancels out the properties of the other or cause dryness) those are my go to Ayurvedic powders besides henna of course which is my bae ride or die Ayurvedic powder. I don't know about the second one, never heard of it.

Can someone post on jetmansi properties what it's good for best way to use it?

Last edited:

mzteaze

I had to correct the spelling:

JATAMANSI

Here are some of the benefits:

-
  1. Hair growth: The extract of jatamansi oil is helpful in the growth of hair. It is beneficial for smooth, silky and healthy hair too. It is used to improve complexion and ensures glowing and shining looks to the body. The root of the powder in water when applied promotes skin texture.
  2. It is used to impart black colour to hair and prevents greying of hair. Its medicated oil with almond is highly useful for smooth and silky hair.

Ayurvedic features
The different ayurvedic characteristics of the plant are given as below:

• Taste (Rasa): bitter, astringent and sweet
  • Charateristics (Guna): light
  • Potency (Virya): Cool & calm
  • Digestive effect (Vipaka): pungent
  • Humor (Effects on Tridoshas): cool all the three doshas: Vatta, Pitta and Kapha
From: http://www.gyanunlimited.com/health/10-wonder-benefits-and-uses-of-nardostachys-jatamansi/10669/

mzteaze

9. Jatamansi

Image: Shutterstock

You Will Need
  • 5 drops Jatamansi Essential Oil
  • 2 tbsp Carrier Oil (Coconut/Sesame)
Processing Time
45 minutes

Process
  1. Combine the oils in a bowl to create a Jatamansi oil blend.
  2. Start massaging this oil into your scalp and work your way down to the tips of your hair.
  3. Massage your scalp for an additional 10 minutes.
  4. Wait, with the oil in your hair, for half an hour at least and then rinse it out with shampoo.
How Often?
Repeat this thrice a week.

Why This Works
Jatamansi infused with oil is very helpful when it comes to preventing hair loss and premature graying because of its blood purifying properties.

http://www.stylecraze.com/articles/herbs-that-prevent-hair-loss/#gref