Babyliss Steam Straightener Rave!!! (Yes Naturals.. you too)

PBE718

I am drooling right now ladies!!!!!!!!!! I am in love with the BaByliss BABTT4073 Pro TT Tourmaline Titanium Steam Straightener!!!! I bought that baby for $69.95 on amazon and I am utterly in love. I have never been able to get my hair this straight by myself before. After countless hours researching flat irons and experimenting with irons.. I have found the one for me. Below I'll rate flat irons I've tried in the past and show you my hair prior to using the babyliss steam iron and after.

Rated as 1 Star as the worst and 5 stars as the best.

Keep in mind that I am natural. I have dull looking 4/ab hair. Shine is minimal. Check me out :)

1. Sedu - (1 Star) By far the worst flat iron I ever bought. I'd actually give that piece of crap away. It's so flimsy and cheap looking too. :nono:

2. Generic Chi from Sallys - (3 stars) Not a bad flat iron.. got my hair looking sleek but only maintained that look for about an hour. Started to look dull after that. Great for curling and bumping though.

3. Hana (3.5 stars) not a bad iron. Similar to the Generic Chi though, in that my hair was sleek for the first few hours but then fell dull looking. Results did not last very long.

4. Babyliss Steam Iron (4.5 stars) I am in love with this iron. Seriously!!! My hair looked sleek and stayed straight for so long. I've read about naturals prefering steam flat irons over others. It doesn't sound like it makes sense but the steam doesn't revert the hair.. it aids in straightening. Not only did my hair look sleek, but it also had that hair salon shine baby!!

If you're having a tough time finding a good iron, I recommend that you try this iron. Get it off of amazon because those other sites like folica and missikko are selling that baby at a premium (over $100).

Check out my results!! No worries, I plan to straighten my hair in May. Full youtube tutorial and review on my channel coming soon (May). But in the meantime, if you have any questions, I don't mind letting you know how I achieved these results :yep:

Regular Braid Out Look :)

4/AB Hair without product

Hair Straightened with the Babyliss Steam Flat Iron!! (Sorry for the blurry camera phone pics!)

Last edited:

VinDieselsWifey

Your hair turned out great! I wonder how this iron compares to the Maxiglide since it also uses steam.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using LHCF

PBE718

Your hair turned out great! I wonder how this iron compares to the Maxiglide since it also uses steam.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using LHCF

Thanks! After all of the research on flat irons I came to the conclusion that it would be this or the maxiglide. But I read too much about the maxiglide being too bulky and hard to maneuver so I chose the the babyliss and I'm glad I did :yep:

05girl

Interesting. I had no idea these types of flat irons existed. Are these supposed to be less damaging?

intellectualuva

Wow. Thats looks great. I am fighting urge to purchase. I hardly straighten my hair and my maxiglide has been used less than 10 time......

*fighting*

bunnie82

I have the babyliss pro steam straightener.....well HAD...i messed it up by adding silk amino acids in the resevoir along with my water. :nono:

It's a really great flat iron and perfect for naturals....it's tourmaline and titanium...
It also featuree retractable teeth that I LOVE....don't fret, they don't snag the hair....

and I like it wayyyy better than maxiglide! It straightens better, you don't have to keep refilling the resevoir (the initial fill up is enough), you get a bottle with a skinny nozzle for ease of filling the water....AND it's wayyy wayyy wayyyy lighter in weight that the Maxiglide. It's also easier to use and maneuver than the maxiglide.....the maxiglde was just too bulky fo rme....:yep:

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I tried the sonic glide(new maxiglide) and it didnt get my hair straight enough unless i used it at a high temp. What temp did you use yours at?

So far my babyliss nano titanium has been working well for 2 years now but its snags my hair sometimes.dyes the plates are clean) I would not mind getting a new babyliss iron.

PBE718

05girl I'm surprised you haven't heard of steam irons. The Maxiglide has been dominating the market for a while, but then Conair came out with one a few years ago and it was very popular. So, did Joico. I don't know if steam irons are supposed to be less damaging. So, I would use the same caution with a steam iron as you would with a regular flat iron. I used the same temp or slighly less heat than I usually do with a regular flat iron (320-365 degrees) because it has a steam feature which allows it to get the hair straighter with longer lasting results.

kimpaur and Napp The iron has 40 heat settings (up to 465 degrees). I don't remember exactly which setting I put it on but it was a little more than half. I tried to get it between what I thought was (320-365 degrees).

MixedGirl You just scared me with this bubble hair thing, but I only straighten about 4 times a year.. so, I'm not too worried. Plus, your hair isn't exactly "wet." Maybe a few other folks can weigh in on this topic but the Maxiglide has been used with much success by a number of naturals. I'm sure there are a few threads on here from maxiglide users and youtube videos on people who have been using it for years.. so I don't think "bubble hair" should be a real concern for steam flat iron users. I think the Maxiglide threw that idea out the door. Seems this problem is caused by too much heat whether it be from steam or your average hair appliance (flat irons, blow dryers etc.). Just don't over do it.

Channy31

05girl I'm surprised you haven't heard of steam irons. The Maxiglide has been dominating the market for a while, but then Conair came out with one a few years ago and it was very popular. So, did Joico. I don't know if steam irons are supposed to be less damaging. So, I would use the same caution with a steam iron as you would with a regular flat iron. I used the same temp or slighly less heat than I usually do with a regular flat iron (320-365 degrees) because it has a steam feature which allows it to get the hair straighter with longer lasting results.

kimpaur and Napp The iron has 40 heat settings (up to 465 degrees). I don't remember exactly which setting I put it on but it was a little more than half. I tried to get it between what I thought was (320-365 degrees).

MixedGirl You just scared me with this bubble hair thing, but I only straighten about 4 times a year.. so, I'm not too worried. Plus, your hair isn't exactly "wet." Maybe a few other folks can weigh in on this topic but the Maxiglide has been used with much success by a number of naturals. I'm sure there are a few threads on here from maxiglide users and youtube videos on people who have been using it for years.. so I don't think "bubble hair" should be a real concern for steam flat iron users. I think the Maxiglide threw that idea out the door. Seems this problem is caused by too much heat whether it be from steam or your average hair appliance (flat irons, blow dryers etc.). Just don't over do it.

Thanks for your opinion :)

PBE718

Do you think this flat iron would be okay for relaxed hair too?

That's a tough question for me, only because I don't think it's a good idea for any chemically relaxed lady (bone straight) to use direct heat especially when you can achieve the same results if not better (bouncy light weight hair) with a Dominican rollerset and blow drying the roots. All in all, I think it will be damaging. But if you do insist on flat ironing.. I think this iron is awesome because of the titanium ceramic tourmaline combination. Plain ceramic doesn't give me that salon shine without a very high heat setting. You can also turn off the steam setting (or adjust to high medium or low). I'd recommend turning off or using the low setting for relaxed hair. :yep:

PBE718

what's bubble hair?

mschristine I don't see why not!!!

I didn't know what it was until MixedGirl commented about it. Check out the link below. It gave me an idea of what bubble hair is. Pretty much there are bubbles that can form in the cortex of the hair strand. It results in rough brittle hair. In the blog, she mentions that it can happen when heat meets wet hair using any heat appliance including blow dryers. Honestly, sounds like something that cannot be avoided by naturals. We can't straighten dry hair. Our hair is more manageable when wet and we can shape it to whatever we want when most elastic. The crucial step in straightening is actually the blowdrying process on wet hair.. so I'm not going to lose sleep over it. Sounds like it's either I straighten my hair or I don't if I'd like to avoid this like a plague.

http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2010/11/heat-on-wet-hair-bubble-hair.html

mschristine

That's a tough question for me, only because I don't think it's a good idea for any chemically relaxed lady (bone straight) to use direct heat especially when you can achieve the same results if not better (bouncy light weight hair) with a Dominican rollerset and blow drying the roots. All in all, I think it will be damaging. But if you do insist on flat ironing.. I think this iron is awesome because of the titanium ceramic tourmaline combination. Plain ceramic doesn't give me that salon shine without a very high heat setting. You can also turn off the steam setting (or adjust to high medium or low). I'd recommend turning off or using the low setting for relaxed hair. :yep:

I don't relax bone straight and I only flat iron on special occasions and a few days after my relaxer. I saw some reviews on YouTube so it might be okay

StarScream35

@PBE718

Grrrrl..........you are gonna have product junkies in trouble!! LOL Okay, so based on your review, I ordered myself one of these Babyliss Steam Straightners, got it yesterday, tried it out on my my natural coils and ooooooooooooh my gaaaaaaaaaaaawd..............chile...........somebody bring me a glass a water so I can cool off cause that mug caused me to have a heatwave after my temperatures went up due to excitement! My hair was so soft and bouncy. I am speechless and done. I hadn't put heat to my hair in ages but I might be in trouble from now on. Immo have to hide that thing from myself!!! Girl thanks!

PBE718

@PBE718

Grrrrl..........you are gonna have product junkies in trouble!! LOL Okay, so based on your review, I ordered myself one of these Babyliss Steam Straightners, got it yesterday, tried it out on my my natural coils and ooooooooooooh my gaaaaaaaaaaaawd..............chile...........somebody bring me a glass a water so I can cool off cause that mug caused me to have a heatwave after my temperatures went up due to excitement! My hair was so soft and bouncy. I am speechless and done. I hadn't put heat to my hair in ages but I might be in trouble from now on. Immo have to hide that thing from myself!!! Girl thanks!

StarScream35

Lmao!! I'm happy you liked it! That was my reaction! I have to make sure I don't use that thing too often. I'm thinking just 4 times a year (anxiously waiting). I don't know how it does it.. but I'm in love <3

ajargon02

I am drooling right now ladies!!!!!!!!!! I am in love with the BaByliss BABTT4073 Pro TT Tourmaline Titanium Steam Straightener!!!! I bought that baby for $69.95 on amazon and I am utterly in love. I have never been able to get my hair this straight by myself before. After countless hours researching flat irons and experimenting with irons.. I have found the one for me. Below I'll rate flat irons I've tried in the past and show you my hair prior to using the babyliss steam iron and after.

Rated as 1 Star as the worst and 5 stars as the best.

Keep in mind that I am natural. I have dull looking 4/ab hair. Shine is minimal. Check me out :)

1. Sedu - (1 Star) By far the worst flat iron I ever bought. I'd actually give that piece of crap away. It's so flimsy and cheap looking too. :nono:

2. Generic Chi from Sallys - (3 stars) Not a bad flat iron.. got my hair looking sleek but only maintained that look for about an hour. Started to look dull after that. Great for curling and bumping though.

3. Hana (3.5 stars) not a bad iron. Similar to the Generic Chi though, in that my hair was sleek for the first few hours but then fell dull looking. Results did not last very long.

4. Babyliss Steam Iron (4.5 stars) I am in love with this iron. Seriously!!! My hair looked sleek and stayed straight for so long. I've read about naturals prefering steam flat irons over others. It doesn't sound like it makes sense but the steam doesn't revert the hair.. it aids in straightening. Not only did my hair look sleek, but it also had that hair salon shine baby!!

If you're having a tough time finding a good iron, I recommend that you try this iron. Get it off of amazon because those other sites like folica and missikko are selling that baby at a premium (over $100).

Check out my results!! No worries, I plan to straighten my hair in May. Full youtube tutorial and review on my channel coming soon (May). But in the meantime, if you have any questions, I don't mind letting you know how I achieved these results :yep:

Regular Braid Out Look :)

4/AB Hair without product

Hair Straightened with the Babyliss Steam Flat Iron!! (Sorry for the blurry camera phone pics!)

I am so glad about your results! Have you seen any damage/breakage from the steam iron?