Bad PS?

Binetad

Hey ladies,
I was doing some research and I ran across this article that said that "FALSE BRAIDS AND WIGS CAN CAUSE HAIR BREAKAGE. THE CHEMICALS USED TO MAKE THE HAIR CAN CAUSE DAMAGE TO YOUR HAIR. YOUR HAIR REJECTS FOREIGN SUBSTANCES MUCH LIKE EVERY OTHER PART OF YOUR BODY"
http://www.hairfinity.com/BlackHairGrowth.htm

Is it possible that some of our PS are actually giving us setbacks? :perplexed:perplexed:perplexed

I was thinking, is it possible to wash or cleanse the hair(extensions) before you use it, to make sure that all the chemicals are out?

OR are the chemicals permanently placed in and the chances of getting rid of it is pointless?

Can i get some answers please?:yep::yep::yep:

Kneechay

I personally think it's a sales tactic used to sell those vitamins the site from which you got the information uses. Have they determined the name of the exact chemical?

I think the failure and successes of every protective style is contingent upon technique and personal maintenance. Weaves and wigs if installed and maintained incorrectly can and will result in damage.

Charla

For the crown and glory braid method, she suggests soaking for 15 mins your kanekelon hair before you apply it in a sink full of water and 1 cup of white vinegar.

I did this for the first time last week before I got my hair braided and when that 15 minutes was up, there was a white film floating on top of the water -- grossed me out! But for sure this time I haven't had any itching with the cornrows! So for sure I believe there's something to it, regarding chemicals anyway.

REMOVING THE ALKALINE BASE
You have an option to take the alkaline base off the Kanekalon hair by soaking the extended hair in a vinegar and water.In a sink full of water, add 1 cup of distilled vinegar. Soak 15 minutes, rinse, air dry.

Last edited:

MzSwift

The ladies in the weaves and lace wigs sections on BHM do it all of the time. That was the first I had heard of it.

IA though, it would be wise to consider the source in this case.

HauteHippie

A white film?! Now I just don't know...

I'd thought it was a sales ploy, but she doesn't exactly tell her audience not to use it and she does provide a work-around.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using T-Mobile G2

ylinspired

Nope. I don"t believe it. My hair has grown for years with wearing wigs and hair weaves without suffering damage.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Nonie

Nope. I don"t believe it. My hair has grown for years with wearing wigs and hair weaves without suffering damage.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Ditto! I don't rinse the hair I use to braid. I prefer to wash it for the first time when it's already braided in, usually about 3 days or so after putting them in. Yeah, call me nasty but that's how I do. Never seemed to hurt my hair. March 2007; August 2008.

My Friend

I believe it. The hair does have chemicals applied to it. Both synthetic and human hair. I soak my hair in vinegar water before applying it to my hair. You will see the film floating on top of the water.

Depending upon if you are allergic or if you are sensitive to those chemicals will determine if your body reacts to it. It will also depend on what kind of style you are wearing. Corn/Canerows normally sit on the scalp whereas single braids do not.

I also stop using synthetic hair years before I ever found hair forums. My body does not agree with synthetic hair. The amount of breaking and shedding is more than double the amount of hair I would lose when I used human hair.

Lucky's Mom

I have soaked human and synthetic hair.... Lots of dye and such has come off - But I think that improper techniques with ANY thing can cause hair damage.

Tiye

I always pre-wash extension hair and wigs. If you sew you may also prefer to pre-wash fabric - it's the same basic idea. Factories and warehouses usually are not clean places and you don't know what substances are used to "finish" the products. Fiber alone isn't going to damage your hair - I've worn all kinds. It's what you do with the fiber or how you wear the wigs that can cause problems.

ajoke

When I was pregnant with my DD, I had a severe allergic reaction to some chemical on some weave hair I had fixed. My whole head was full of sores within a few days and I had to take the weave off promptly! So I believe it. That doesen mean I wash synthetic hair before applying it though.....

g.lo

i have to soak mine, otherwise my scalp will suffer!! very itchy, the worst i had was blisters and bleeding!! if i don't remove the alkaline base prior using the extension, it will be a big mess:look:
as Charla said, you can clearly see a white film, i did a youtube video showing the result: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K7KWgbSXNA

mscocoface

I don't know about this issue, but I do know anytime I wore other hair I washed it first in the vinegar solution. I noticed that when I did not my scalp would itch like crazy.