Baking soda and dryness

milaydy31

Hello,

I don't know if this question have already been asked.
I have been PS'ing for the last 8 months with braids with extentions (I am transitioning and I don't want to deal with the two textures).
I moisturize them daily and wash them weekly. 2 days ago I used baking soda in order to remove the buildups (the shampooed with keracare moisturizing shampoo and conditionned with keracare moisturizing conditionner) . Since I use this product my hair is sooo dry even after beeing moisturized as usual.
Do you ever experienced dryness while usind Baking soda and is there a way to use it that can avoid the dryness.

Milaydy

Nonie

Most clarifying products are very alkaline just like baking soda and while they do remove build up, they also lift the scales of your hair cuticle making the hair rough and open and vulnerable to moisture loss/damage. If you remember this, then you will realize that perhaps dropping the pH of your hair might help as this will close your hair's cuticles and make it less porous and also smooth and less likely to tangle.

I don't use baking soda so I don't really read the regimens that use this, but IIRC I think there are people who do an ACV rinse afterward.

Your hair is happiest when it's pH is acidic (ie low). Baking soda raises the pH and you need to bring it back down for your hair to start feeling right. Folks familiar with Roux Porosity Control maybe can shed some light on whether it'd help.

milaydy31

Thanks for your answer.
I was a little surprise with this result 'cause when I use the Crem of nature clarifying shampoo I don't have this problem.

Milaydy

butterfly_wings

I want to clarify today with baking soda but I have run out of ACV, is it possible to do a light rinse using lemon juice and water instead of ACV and water to bring down the pH and close the cuticles?

TeaKyoo

I use baking soda to clarify and cleanse my hair but only with conditioner. I mix the two together. I never use baking soda alone unless I am cleaning my sink.

You can use lemon juice and water but make sure that you dilute dilute dilute the lemon juice so it doesn't totally strip your hair.

Nonie

Thanks for your answer.
I was a little surprise with this result 'cause when I use the Crem of nature clarifying shampoo I don't have this problem.

Milaydy

I suspect that with the CON Clarifying Shampoo, other ingredients help in moisturizing your hair during the process.