Baking Soda Revisited

Isis

I've resisted clarifying my hair for the longest time, mainly because I didn't think I needed to - no discernable buildup - and because my hair would feel so different afterwards. The clarifying shampoo I used once or twice in the past, Suave clarifying shampoo, worked very well but I could tell my hair was just clarified. However, I recently tried what some of you ladies are doing, about a teaspoon or so of baking soda mixed in my dollop of shampoo.

This felt so good, especially as I focused on my scalp. I also noticed the change in the texture of the shampoo. It went from creamy and thick to watery after mixing in the baking soda (I'm sure because of the alkalinity). After rinsing, my hair did not feel stripped at all, just very clean and soft. After deep conditioning, I loved the way my hair felt, even more moisturized than ever!! :clapping: :love:

I don't know how often I can do this but it seems pretty harmless to me. Please share your baking soda clarifying experiences! :)

MeechUK

MeechUK
Hi Isis,
I mix it in with my conditioner when I CW in the winter, it seems to work better on my hair then. It leaves my hair very soft and clean. its greaat!

HHG,
MeechUK

KiniKakes

KEWL.

I will be picking up some baking soda, specifically for clarifying, at the grocery store this wknd. I tried to clarify last week by adding a bit of vinegar to my shampoo (as I had read a few other ladies trying), and it didnt jive well with my scalp at all. Instead, I felt like I had vinegar-scented build-up.

So I cant wait to try the baking soda. :grin:

Isis

Hmm... my hair doesn't like CW's but it might with baking soda added. I may try that one day MeechUK. :)

:lol: @ vinegar-scented build-up KiniKakes! I was going to try the apple cider vinegar also but decided to go with the baking soda. I've only had successes using it for other things (including cleaning my veggies). I hope it works for you too!

Queenie

I do baking soda rinses 1/wk, after shampooing. I've been doing this for nearly 2 yrs. I use clarifying shampoo like 4x a yr.

Arcadian

I'm one of those that uses a tablespoon of vinegar to my shampoo to clarify. It dosen't seem work very well if you're adding it to a moisterizing shampoo though, so I crumble up some black soap to make a shampoo paste, add the vinegar and away I go.

I've tried soda before and got some weird burn marks (its because I have this crazy sensitive skin) I guess I either didn't rinse well enough and some stayed on my skin, which is a no no, or, I scrubbed too much?

Anyway, I can still brush my teeth with it, which is always good, but on my scalp or skin its a no go. (tried it for facials too and it didn't work...you guys are so lucky:( )

But really, I don't mind smelling like a pickle for 5 minutes once a month:lol: j/k;)

-A