Baking Soda Rinse

hot_pepper96

So I tried this about a week ago and I liked it. Next time I will use less baking soda because my hair felt a little too stripped, but I just used my Keracare shampoo to detangle and soften the hair. My conditioners seemed to soak in so much better. Hair was soft and fluffy.

My mixture was 3 1/2 TBS to 4 cups of water. Next time I'll just use 2 TBS to 2 cups of water.

hot_pepper96

I Think I may have to try this.

Please try this. I couldn't get protein treatments to work on my hair (only when I go to the salon) and my ORS Shampoo somehow was not doing the job. My hair had never felt this light when I did my hair at home. Also, scalp was not itchy after washing. Usually, my scalp would still be itchy right after I shampoo. Not this time. Using this Baking Soda Rinse is also a good clarifier for those w/fine hair that is prone to breakage like mine.

Monigirl

Baking soda is the bomb!!!! I am only using baking soda this year instead of shampoo and so far my hair is loving it!! I use the applicator bottle below and put 1 tablespoon in it and fill with warm water. Shake and apply to scalp and hair. My hair feels clean and not striped. Love it!!

charmtreese

Baking soda is the bomb!!!! I am only using baking soda this year instead of shampoo and so far my hair is loving it!! I use the applicator bottle below and put 1 tablespoon in it and fill with warm water. Shake and apply to scalp and hair. My hair feels clean and not striped. Love it!!

I use the same applicator bottle however, I also put coditioner n my mixture. My hair LOVES this!!!!

Monigirl

Does baking soda lighten the hair if used too often. this is my only hesitation from using it weekly.

I really don't think so by itself. But if mixed with peroxide it will. I am gonna have to add a little conditioner next time. Thanks!! I cowash every 2 or 3 days and I only baking soda wash every 2 or 4 weeks or when I feel my scalp is itchy and has buildup.

Last edited:

charmtreese

Okay, thanks monigirl.

Currently I only use baking soda every 4 weeks ( I co-wash once a week). I just love the way my hair feels afterwards so I was thinking about using it weekly...:look: or maybe not!:spinning:

LadyKaypnyc

So I tried this about a week ago and I liked it. Next time I will use less baking soda because my hair felt a little too stripped, but I just used my Keracare shampoo to detangle and soften the hair. My conditioners seemed to soak in so much better. Hair was soft and fluffy.

My mixture was 3 1/2 TBS to 4 cups of water. Next time I'll just use 2 TBS to 2 cups of water.

2 tbs is still too much for that ratio. Try 1 tbs to 2 cuups of water. IMO

gradygirl

I am going back to using baking soda. I am tired of trying different shampoos and getting the same results. I have tried expensive shampoo, cheap shampoo, natural ingredient shampoo, and shampoo bars and they all dry my hair out.

CocoGlow

I am going back to using baking soda. I am tired of trying different shampoos and getting the same results. I have tried expensive shampoo, cheap shampoo, natural ingredient shampoo, and shampoo bars and they all dry my hair out.

I feel you Gradygirl....everytime I try a shampoo, no matter how "mild" or "natural" or "moisturizing" the label, I end up w/ dry strands too!

I am going back to baking soda rinses...I still have a lot of ayurvedic powders that I plan to experiment w/ and add to the Baking Soda rinses....

I was scared to do it every week since it's labeled as a clarifier so I will have to just experiment & see how it goes....I like to rinse or co-wash my hair every day or every few days so I might stick to baking soda rinses once a week

NOTE: I think a great follow-up to the baking soda rinse is the final ACV rinse b/c baking soda is alkaline and may raise your cuticles and the ACV is acidic and will restore the pH balance & smooth the cuticles...

Does anyone do baking soda rinses or baking soda co-washes MORE than once a week?

Also do you think we HAVE to deep condition after a baking soda rinse?

tinkat

I don't think it would be necessary to do a Baking Soda rinse every week but I do think it is good to follow up with a DC after doing the rinse.

luvmesumhair

I do the baking soda rinse EVERY WEEK. My mixture is 1 tblspoon to one 8 ounce bottle (color applicator bottle) of warm water. I either deep condition before or after. Lately I have been doing it before. My hair AND scalp LOVES IT. :yep:

VirtuousGal

I like the thought of weekly bs rinses, but I love prepooing. Can the rinses be effective if I have prepooed with oil?

hot_pepper96

You know what...you're absolutely right. When I looked back at my notes, the recipe says to use 1 Tablespoon to 2 cups water. I don't know what I was thinking. I was so eager to try it out that I didn't check my notes. Thank god my hair still came out okay.:blush:

LadyKaypnyc

You know what...you're absolutely right. When I looked back at my notes, the recipe says to use 1 Tablespoon to 2 cups water. I don't know what I was thinking. I was so eager to try it out that I didn't check my notes. Thank god my hair still came out okay.:blush:

The first time I attempted baking soda rinses, I ODed :lachen: So I definately understand...:yep:

Monigirl

Baking soda is the best cleanser I have ever used. here is a member who only uses baking soda. My hair idol. http://journals.fotki.com/redhotlala/

I love ...love...love Redhotlala's hair. She was the reason I also started looking into Baking soda. She does not use shampoo anymore either.

I feel you Gradygirl....everytime I try a shampoo, no matter how "mild" or "natural" or "moisturizing" the label, I end up w/ dry strands too!

I am going back to baking soda rinses...I still have a lot of ayurvedic powders that I plan to experiment w/ and add to the Baking Soda rinses....

I was scared to do it every week since it's labeled as a clarifier so I will have to just experiment & see how it goes....I like to rinse or co-wash my hair every day or every few days so I might stick to baking soda rinses once a week

NOTE: I think a great follow-up to the baking soda rinse is the final ACV rinse b/c baking soda is alkaline and may raise your cuticles and the ACV is acidic and will restore the pH balance & smooth the cuticles...

Does anyone do baking soda rinses or baking soda co-washes MORE than once a week?

Also do you think we HAVE to deep condition after a baking soda rinse
?

Thanks for sharing info about doing a ACV rinse after baking soda rinses. I have read this too on other websites. May have to start doing this. Oh yeah!!

I wanted to respond to one of your questions I bolded above about deep conditioning afterwards. I think no. I deep condition before then baking soda rinse, then I co wash one more time. So far my hair and scalp loves it.

Last edited:

NigerianGirl

I just wanted to testify as well, I tried it the other day and CHILE! It definitely defined my coils I was very happy to have a clean scalp and to be able to comb through my hair. I used 1/2 a cup of BS and a full glass of warm filtered water.......

hot_pepper96

Okay,

So I washed my hair this weekend using 2 TBS of Baking Soda to 2 cups of water, followed by Keracare Hydrating Shampoo & Breakthru shampoo mixture. My hair still felt a little too stripped and that's because I typed the wrong recipe...AGAIN.:wallbash:

My hair still came out great. I did a protein treatment w/Nadia Fortifying Conditioner for 25 mins with a plastic cap and a hot towel. My hair came out so silky and detangled (I did not even have to use my Keracare afterwards). Rollersetting still took too long, but that's because of my own lack of skill.

LadyKaypnyc,

I will now adjust my typed recipe based on your suggestion. Thanks.

l0vethyself

Ok Ladies, I used 2 tablespoons BS and 2 cups H20. I used the mixture and poured it over my head. I let it sit for 2 minutes and rinsed with lukewarm water. Ok so my scalp isn't itchy, but it has a thin white layer on it. My scalp doesn't feel clean, my curls are however softer. What did I do wrong?

JJamiah

Did you rinse well? sometimes I rinse and due to not rinsing well it leaves a film on it after it dries.

Lola Laughs

I had the same issue--add a couple of tbs of honey and that should help. I follow the BS with an ACV rinse (2 parts water, 1 part ACV) which helped with detangling and porosity.
HTH :look: