Baking soda to loosen curl

Sui Topi

I just wanted to clarify this method, and actually put it in it's own thread because it is a little confusing.

How exactly do you do this? From what I gathered, oil up your hair, and then mix some baking soda with conditioner and then leave that on your head for a long time? What are your methods ladies? Centered girl, please get in here too, you seem to be the vet of this method

Sui Topi

Theres some thread about texturizing and someone said they use baking soda, and then a bunch of people tried it with good results, but its under a different name and no one really said what they did exactly

MonPetite

I thought you just rinsed with it frequently?

Baking soda is VERY alkaline like a relaxer. I'd be terrified to sleep in it, even with oil and conditioner. :perplexed

Bumping for ya'.

Sui Topi

I thought you just rinsed with it frequently?

Baking soda is VERY alkaline like a relaxer. I'd be terrified to sleep in it, even with oil and conditioner. :perplexed

Bumping for ya'.

see! I didn't even know! That's why I need more people who've used it to comment lol. I think I may just have to wait tonight, cause everyone is already in their bed. Good looking out though lol. I would have woken up this morning, sat up in bed, but my hair would still be on the pillow :perplexed

Sui Topi

one more bump, because I'm going to bed now and I dont want to have to be searching all the way at 7 pages to find this thread in the morning when I wake up :grin:

AsTheCurlzTurns

I just wanted to clarify this method, and actually put it in it's own thread because it is a little confusing.

How exactly do you do this? From what I gathered, oil up your hair, and then mix some baking soda with conditioner and then leave that on your head for a long time? What are your methods ladies? Centered girl, please get in here too, you seem to be the vet of this method

I've never done this, but I did remember reading up on this not too long ago. So I went to search for that thread where CenteredGirl mentioned her method as well as others who tried it. HTH somewhat :)
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=206313

pattycake0701

My post in that thread..

I tried the baking soda mix this weekend. I mixed about 2 tbsp of baking soda, 1 tbsp of rhassoul clay, about 1/3 cup of Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship conditioner and a little water to make it a pudding-like consistency. I smoothed on my dry dirty hair and left it on for about an hour with a plastic cap.

My hair loved this! It felt smooth, conditioned and clean. It even stretched my hair a bit (but then I tried the coconut and lime stuff and it made it shrink back up:ohwell:). This is definitely a keeper:yep:

This is now a part of my routine every time I wash.

morehairplease

this sounds interesting. I have only used baking soda to clarify(mixed with co or poo). Off to read the other thread and maybe I will give it a try.

NYAmicas

Seeker
I washed with this last night and while my hair did feel soft, it also felt dry. I ran out of my preferred conditioner so that may be why.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
my hair was very clean. that is all. maybe i didnt do it right. i have a step by step of what i did in my fotki. i also have very coarse hair

Sui Topi

So I did it today. I pre pooed the night before with coconut oil and some conditioner sealed with olive oil if that makes sense. I shampooed and then put in some baking soda mixed with conditioner. I put on my shower cap and chilled for near an hour. First thing I noticed was my hair was super soft while washing it out. I did my regular routine. My hair is slightly stretched, like, so slight I am surprised my husband noticed. I think if I had it in longer it would be more dramatic. Also, this is only my first time. I really like this method though, my hair is so silky, and if it will stretch it out some, I would really consider doing this before straightening. :love5:

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
You can put it in your conditioner and leave in in for one hour or more. It softens my hair nicely. I just don't do it enough to see the benefits.:rolleyes:

JustKiya

So weird - I've read this, and heard peoples results - when I clarify with baking soda, it always restores my curls - they are tight and boingy afterwards, never looser!

Those who this worked for - can you describe your hair? Size of curl/coil, fine/medium/coarse strands, porous/non-porous?

There's gotta be something different going on.....

MonPetite

Yes. I love how I did EXACTLY what I was scared to do. :lachen: My own sin was sleeping wildly in it. I've been using it with no ill-effects and great success since.

I use large amounts of B.so with cheapie conditioner. I leave it on with a shower cap for a few hours, DC, and enjoy shiner, softer hair.

Soliel185

I did it and slept with it overnight. I have no idea how much I used though ( I don't measure ) Maybe 1/3 of a cup? I mixed it will a bunch of con - no oil. I noticed that mix kind of foamed up as the baking soda reacted. I put it on dry hair, covered with plastic, and covered that w my towlie turban. It definitely stretched my coils out, and my hair was very soft the next morning -- also, it cleaned my scalp well. I used so MB after rinse. :lick:

I detangled with my denman, airdried all day in a bun, and then use my blowdryer to further stretch my hair (end of the day = still damp). After that I flat ironed with my sedu an a fine tooth comb. Best results I've ever had straightening my hair - relaxed or not.

I'm transitioning and currently 5+ months post!

Nonie

I used baking soda once and vowed never again. IIRC, I used it with a shampoo coz I believe at the time I understood that it turned a regular shampoo to a clarifying one. First I probably should mention that clarifying isn't something I need ever worry about because I don't use products on my hair, so build-up is never an issue. So perhaps that was my first mistake.

When I applied it to my hair, the bathroom was filled the smell you get when your hair is being relaxed. That strong relaxer smell. Scared the heck outta me! I quickly rinsed it off and to my horror my hair was hard as a brush and very dry. I had to shampoo a few times with a moisturizing shampoo and then condition to get it to feel a bit better. It took a few washes to get my hair back to normal.

This all made sense to me because alkalines open up hair cuticles so perhaps that explains the roughness of my strands and tangles. Maybe when you leave it on longer it goes beyond just opening your cuticles and processes your hair like a relaxer would? I didn't give mine a chance to do that and I am so happy I didn't. I think if I had "relaxed" my curls even a touch, I'd have been really be upset. I imagine that relaxing curls like that would mean you need a "touch up" in due time...and risk overlap and probably over-processing? I dunno. Maybe I'm over-thinking this, but one of the reasons I am not in a hurry to relax my hair is just the memory of having different textures at different times and needing to match them and hoping you strike a perfect balance. I'm too darn lazy to bother with all o' that. And I wonder if that isn't something you would have to deal with loosening curls this way? Or does this "wash off"?

Irresistible

I did it and slept with it overnight. I have no idea how much I used though ( I don't measure ) Maybe 1/3 of a cup? I mixed it will a bunch of con - no oil. I noticed that mix kind of foamed up as the baking soda reacted. I put it on dry hair, covered with plastic, and covered that w my towlie turban. It definitely stretched my coils out, and my hair was very soft the next morning -- also, it cleaned my scalp well. I used so MB after rinse. :lick:

I detangled with my denman, airdried all day in a bun, and then use my blowdryer to further stretch my hair (end of the day = still damp). After that I flat ironed with my sedu an a fine tooth comb. Best results I've ever had straightening my hair - relaxed or not.

I'm transitioning and currently 5+ months post!

hmm I wish I wasnt so afraid of BS, but you got me wondering if I should do this before heat styling :think:

Irresistible

Yes. I love how I did EXACTLY what I was scared to do. :lachen: My own sin was sleeping wildly in it. I've been using it with no ill-effects and great success since.

I use large amounts of B.so with cheapie conditioner. I leave it on with a shower cap for a few hours, DC, and enjoy shiner, softer hair.

girl I was kinda confused when I went to the first part of the thread, then I saw the date :lol:

your so convincing me to try it! :yep:

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I didn't think bs was used to loosen curl. I use it as a clarifier and love it. I don't think I'd ever leave it on my hair for an extended period of time though.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I used baking soda once and vowed never again. IIRC, I used it with a shampoo coz I believe at the time I understood that it turned a regular shampoo to a clarifying one. First I probably should mention that clarifying isn't something I need ever worry about because I don't use products on my hair, so build-up is never an issue. So perhaps that was my first mistake.

When I applied it to my hair, the bathroom was filled the smell you get when your hair is being relaxed. That strong relaxer smell. Scared the heck outta me! I quickly rinsed it off and to my horror my hair was hard as a brush and very dry. I had to shampoo a few times with a moisturizing shampoo and then condition to get it to feel a bit better. It took a few washes to get my hair back to normal.

This all made sense to me because alkalines open up hair cuticles so perhaps that explains the roughness of my strands and tangles. Maybe when you leave it on longer it goes beyond just opening your cuticles and processes your hair like a relaxer would? I didn't give mine a chance to do that and I am so happy I didn't. I think if I had "relaxed" my curls even a touch, I'd have been really be upset. I imagine that relaxing curls like that would mean you need a "touch up" in due time...and risk overlap and probably over-processing? I dunno. Maybe I'm over-thinking this, but one of the reasons I am not in a hurry to relax my hair is just the memory of having different textures at different times and needing to match them and hoping you strike a perfect balance. I'm too darn lazy to bother with all o' that. And I wonder if that isn't something you would have to deal with loosening curls this way? Or does this "wash off"?
That smell scares me everytime I use it.

Neith

I know the baking soda is alkaline, but can it actually break down proteins?

Now I wonder WHY it would relax the curl...