Baking soda to loosen curl

Soliel185

In my experience the effect was temporary. If I'm going to straighten though, I try to do everything I can before hand to improve my results, and cut down the amount of time I'll need to use the direct heat. I think the combo of baking soda, MB, denman, stretching/blow dry, and combing chasing method with the Sedu added up to really nice results. Even my SO noticed and asked me what I did different. :grin:

KnottyGurl

In my experience the effect was temporary. If I'm going to straighten though, I try to do everything I can before hand to improve my results, and cut down the amount of time I'll need to use the direct heat. I think the combo of baking soda, MB, denman, stretching/blow dry, and combing chasing method with the Sedu added up to really nice results. Even my SO noticed and asked me what I did different. :grin:

I agree with and do all of the above that's highlighted. I pretty much do those same things and my hair comes out great!:yep: This regimen is definitely a keeper, esp. since I'm trying to transition. I can't tell where the new ends and the relaxed hair begins. When I wash, the new growth bounces right back with no problems.

MonPetite

My 3c hair started get a bit 3b-ish on me and hasn't changed. :drunk:

I'm not sure if temporary is the same for everyone, though I use agressive ratios -sans irritation, now that I know how to use it properly for my scalp and hair.

Irresistible

I used baking soda once and vowed never again. IIRC, I used it with a shampoo coz I believe at the time I understood that it turned a regular shampoo to a clarifying one. First I probably should mention that clarifying isn't something I need ever worry about because I don't use products on my hair, so build-up is never an issue. So perhaps that was my first mistake.

When I applied it to my hair, the bathroom was filled the smell you get when your hair is being relaxed. That strong relaxer smell. Scared the heck outta me! I quickly rinsed it off and to my horror my hair was hard as a brush and very dry. I had to shampoo a few times with a moisturizing shampoo and then condition to get it to feel a bit better. It took a few washes to get my hair back to normal.

This all made sense to me because alkalines open up hair cuticles so perhaps that explains the roughness of my strands and tangles. Maybe when you leave it on longer it goes beyond just opening your cuticles and processes your hair like a relaxer would? I didn't give mine a chance to do that and I am so happy I didn't. I think if I had "relaxed" my curls even a touch, I'd have been really be upset. I imagine that relaxing curls like that would mean you need a "touch up" in due time...and risk overlap and probably over-processing? I dunno. Maybe I'm over-thinking this, but one of the reasons I am not in a hurry to relax my hair is just the memory of having different textures at different times and needing to match them and hoping you strike a perfect balance. I'm too darn lazy to bother with all o' that. And I wonder if that isn't something you would have to deal with loosening curls this way? Or does this "wash off"?

This thinking/personal experience was/is enough for a person who has never tried BS to read and to be scared enough NOT to ever try it. I dont want to loosen out my hair. This stuff always scared me due to dryness it could lead to even as a clarifier which always spelled trouble for my hair, I see all the raves about softness and what not/got tempted,but I'm back to myself, too afraid of this still!

Last edited:

KnottyGurl

Hey Nonie! I'm just wondering out loud, but if the baking soda opened up your cuticles and you used shampoo, could it be the sulfates (which dries out hair) in the shampoo made your hair that hard? Maybe it was worse because the sulfates were able to penetrate thru the open cuticles. I use a baking soda/water rinse, then cover with conditioner which moisturizes. I got that same smell/rough hair when I tried it with shampoo the first time I used baking soda. I don't think it can permenantly change the texture of your hair. I wonder if Gymfreak could tell us.:look:

I used baking soda once and vowed never again. IIRC, I used it with a shampoo coz I believe at the time I understood that it turned a regular shampoo to a clarifying one. First I probably should mention that clarifying isn't something I need ever worry about because I don't use products on my hair, so build-up is never an issue. So perhaps that was my first mistake.

When I applied it to my hair, the bathroom was filled the smell you get when your hair is being relaxed. That strong relaxer smell. Scared the heck outta me! I quickly rinsed it off and to my horror my hair was hard as a brush and very dry. I had to shampoo a few times with a moisturizing shampoo and then condition to get it to feel a bit better. It took a few washes to get my hair back to normal.

This all made sense to me because alkalines open up hair cuticles so perhaps that explains the roughness of my strands and tangles. Maybe when you leave it on longer it goes beyond just opening your cuticles and processes your hair like a relaxer would? I didn't give mine a chance to do that and I am so happy I didn't. I think if I had "relaxed" my curls even a touch, I'd have been really be upset. I imagine that relaxing curls like that would mean you need a "touch up" in due time...and risk overlap and probably over-processing? I dunno. Maybe I'm over-thinking this, but one of the reasons I am not in a hurry to relax my hair is just the memory of having different textures at different times and needing to match them and hoping you strike a perfect balance. I'm too darn lazy to bother with all o' that. And I wonder if that isn't something you would have to deal with loosening curls this way? Or does this "wash off"?

charmtreese

I've never used baking soda to loosen my curl, but I do use it for a deep clean. The surprising thing is my hair is extremely smooth and my NG is really controlled after I use my baking soda and conditioner mix. My texture has not changed but I never left it in for more than a couple of minutes. The next time I use baking soda I will leave it in for a little longer...maybe a half hour or so!:look:

KnottyGurl

Okay, I don't know if this is good news or bad news, but I'll share it. *sigh*

I pm'ed Gymfreak about baking soda and how it affects the hair. She said....*sigh*...that if you condition your hair while using it, you won't damage your hair, BUT when you use it, basically, you're mildly texturizing it. I thought you might want to hear about it from someone who knows how chemicals work. So, if you use it, don't sleep with it on! I did a rinse with 1 part baking soda, 4 parts water as a rinse, comb thru, then slather on lots of conditioner (no baking soda added) and comb that thru. I left it on for about 10-15 minutes, then rinsed it all out. That was my method anyway.

I don't know what I'm going to do yet, but do whatever you think is best.:yep:

Last edited:

IntoMyhair

I so want to try this, but i have a question?
Is it safe to mix in the baking soda with your DC and than DC under the dryer with heat?

I am out of BS at the moment but i plan to get some tommorrow. I only have 1 wave of new growth at the moment.

AtlantaJJ

So I did it today. I pre pooed the night before with coconut oil and some conditioner sealed with olive oil if that makes sense. I shampooed and then put in some baking soda mixed with conditioner. I put on my shower cap and chilled for near an hour. First thing I noticed was my hair was super soft while washing it out. I did my regular routine. My hair is slightly stretched, like, so slight I am surprised my husband noticed. I think if I had it in longer it would be more dramatic. Also, this is only my first time. I really like this method though, my hair is so silky, and if it will stretch it out some, I would really consider doing this before straightening. :love5:
Baking soda, wow :blush:

Irresistible

Okay, I don't know if this is good news or bad news, but I'll share it. *sigh*

I pm'ed Gymfreak about baking soda and how it affects the hair. She said....*sigh*...that if you condition your hair while using it, you won't damage your hair, BUT when you use it, basically, you're mildly texturizing it. I thought you might want to hear about it from someone who knows how chemicals work. So, if you use it, don't sleep with it on! I did a rinse with 1 part baking soda, 4 parts water as a rinse, comb thru, then slather on lots of conditioner (no baking soda added) and comb that thru. I left it on for about 10-15 minutes, then rinsed it all out. That was my method anyway.

I don't know what I'm going to do yet, but do whatever you think is best.:yep:

Gurl I think they already knew ,look at the title of the thread!

I'm just glad I got ladies that love me and will PM and say IRIS I WILL KILL YOU IF YOU DO THAT' LMAO! Cause all the raves had me a lil swayed! But I think its a different 'softness' they are speaking of then the one I was thinking.

lwilliams1922

does everyone notice a smell??

I put it on my hair but I mixed it with conditioner
I didn't smell anything but conditioner.